Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two mobile rigs, One speaker  (Read 3717 times)
KD6OJG

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:05 AM »

I have a 1.25 meter rig and a dual band 2m/70cm and one favorite Yaesu mobile speaker.  I'm using them as base station rigs.

I can't think of the right way to connect both these rigs to the same speaker.  How would you do it and what would be the correct type of connections?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:47:25 AM »

I would do it with an external passive mixer driving an amplifier.

If you don't mind radio surgery, you could tap into the low level audio stage of one of the radios and use it as a master amplifier.

A second speaker is the most simple and direct solution.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:10:12 AM »

Look in November 2013 QST.  On page 68, they have a very simple circuit using just resisters to drive one speaker from two radios.

Looking at the circuit, I think it can be reduced to just two resisters if you don't need it to be adjustable.

N8YQX
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:34:09 AM »

Look in November 2013 QST.  On page 68, they have a very simple circuit using just resisters to drive one speaker from two radios.

Looking at the circuit, I think it can be reduced to just two resisters if you don't need it to be adjustable.
That makes sense. You could just use the volume controls on each of the radios to balance the levels.
KE5ADB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »

Why not use 2 diodes and a Y in each speaker wire? You'd have to put them between the radio and the Y of course. Can someone explain why this wouldn't be the easiest option?
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 07:27:57 AM »

I'm guessing this is a basic  T-PAD circuit..  to keep  both outputs at proper  impedance and  the  speaker seeing roughly the same  driving impedance.
But   ADB .. audio is  AC  and  why  would you use  diodes  to kill half the audio cycle.??
There are speakers with dual  voice coils..

but  two speakers, sperated sufficiently to tell which radio is  talking  is better.
In my truck with  ICOM  2720 dual bander.    Two speakers   velcro'd to both sides of the  dash, just beyound the steering wheel.    Left speaker  to left side of dial.
no confusion..
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »

I have never seen full range (or voice range) DVC speakers. I've only seen automotive subwoofers use that technology.

Using DVC would be an interesting solution. Can you provide links to vendors?

N8YQX
WA9CFK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »

Unless you want to listen to both radios at once, why not a DPDT switch?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »

Quote from: WA9CFK
why not a DPDT switch?

Or just use 2 mobile speakers.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: