Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NA QSO Party CW This Saturday - Best Way to Try Out Contesting  (Read 5868 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2014, 02:32:56 AM »

The North American QSO Party is this Saturday, full details here.

Nice, relaxed contest - simple exchange (name, state), CW speeds will not be that high (unless you want to), short duration (you can operate 10 out of the 12 hours). Ten meters should be open nicely, lots of activity.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »

And you can run the entire contest and still have Sunday to watch NFL playoff games!  Wish they would move the Patriots game to Sunday.

John AF5CC in the obscenely rare and always pileup causing state of Oklahoma
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »

Question on skimmers: If I use a skimmer that is part of the station and not sent out to RBN, does it still throw me into the multioperator category? Or does the rule on skimmers apply only to skimmer clusters such as RBN?

Doesn't really matter either way; I'm interested mainly as a way to stretch my WAS, not to beat the big guns.

73, -WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:55:17 AM »

Question on skimmers: If I use a skimmer that is part of the station and not sent out to RBN, does it still throw me into the multioperator category? Or does the rule on skimmers apply only to skimmer clusters such as RBN?

Yes - unfortunately, there is no Single Op Assisted category in the NA QSO Parties and the NAQP rules say for Single Op:

Access to spotting information obtained directly or indirectly from any source other than the station operator, such as from other stations or automated tools, is prohibited.

So, even a local skimmer counts as an "automated tool." So, anything but "classic" single operator and you are in the Multi-op category. Many are suggesting NCJ add a Single Op assisted category.

John K3TN
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:03:34 PM »

The North American QSO Party is this Saturday, full details here.

Nice, relaxed contest - simple exchange (name, state), CW speeds will not be that high (unless you want to), short duration (you can operate 10 out of the 12 hours). Ten meters should be open nicely, lots of activity.

73 John K3TN

I have contacted W1AW twice, thety are doing all 50 states twice this year. Not going for any goals, but will try to get anyone I can.

I have a logging question, how do you guys enter W1AW portable 5 out of Texas in your log? I also got the Hawaii one also. Of course, QRZ only accepts W1AW, and it shows up at the regular place in Conn.

Thanks for any help on this. I am using N3FJP also, and uploading that to eQSL and LoTW

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:12:24 AM »

You should log it as they are sending it W1AW/0, W1AW/KH6 - whatever. That's how it will show up in LotW for confirmation - many of the early W1AW/ operations have already showed up in LotW for confirmation.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:53:36 AM »

Thanks John,. I did just that and the Hawaii was KH6.

I used W1AW/P5 for Texas portable and then W1AW/KH6 for Hawaii. Should I dropped the "P" and just use the "5" for Texas as you mentioned???

Of course, my QRZ wasn't accepting the /P5 or /KH6. Thanks for the reply.

N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 12:05:58 PM »

I used W1AW/P5 for Texas portable and then W1AW/KH6 for Hawaii. Should I dropped the "P" and just use the "5" for Texas as you mentioned???

Yes, the P5 would suggest a call from North Korea. I'd STRONGLY advise not spotting portable stations this way otherwise DX monitor alarms will be going off all over the world and you'll have a lot of frustrated people mad at you thinking that the #2 most-wanted entity has just been activated.

It should be just W1AW/5, W1AW/KH6, etc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:14:32 PM by N7SMI » Logged
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 06:06:05 AM »

Yes, the P5 would suggest a call from North Korea. I'd STRONGLY advise not spotting portable stations this way otherwise DX monitor alarms will be going off all over the world and you'll have a lot of frustrated people mad at you thinking that the #2 most-wanted entity has just been activated.

It should be just W1AW/5, W1AW/KH6, etc.

I hadny uploaded them yet, did make the corrections, all is good, looks like W1AW/5 is already confirmed. Thanks for your help too.  Wink

73 W7HBP

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: