Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ Magazine  (Read 12400 times)
AF4RK

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2014, 07:41:40 AM »

Does anyone else share my concern over the problems that seem to be plaguing CQ Mag? I got a notice that several magazines are going to digital only. I like paper but I do read World Radio Online just for Krusty Kurt. I'm putting a computer in the bathroom so I can continue my "studies" HI  My favorite contests are run by CQ Magazine. Would NCJ take over if CQ goes under?
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:01:15 PM »

CQ magazine is not going under. Dick Ross did what he had to do. He made 3 mags into one and made the ONE print one for hams only.

remember, everyone other either stop publishing or went to a non ham market.

So, everyone needs a second chance.....lets see how CQ does in 2014 with this new format.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 02:22:43 AM »

Since this is in the contesting forum, I choose to blame CQ's woes on their decision to longer publish complete contest scores...

Of course, QST made the same decision and is thriving, so not much evidence for that view.

John K3TN
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:49:38 AM »

Bet the scores come back in CQ Plus Wink
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 04:04:52 AM »

CQ magazine/World Radio Online have my support!  Even though I enjoy reading QST, CQ mag/WRO have fantastic articles and commentary.  I prefer the digital issue, I have enough magazines floating around the house.

73 Randy AJ7G
N3AWS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39:50 AM »

Actually, I think CQ is in trouble.  Hard to say whether it will fail.

They really handled the handoff of life subscribers to Worldradio very badly.

They promised on-line access to Worldradio for life--lasted a very short time.  This with converting our subs to a variety of options.  I was stationed in Korea at the time and took them at their word.  I had subscribed to CQ in the past but their mag really offered very little and was chronically late, so I dropped them.

Now, their mags are getting later and later.  Their customer support is crappy.

Remember 73 in the end...

At least QST seems solvent.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:32:55 AM »

I also think they may be in trouble. I just received my December issue a few days ago. There's no telling when January will arrive.

Rick KK4GGL
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »

I also think they may be in trouble. I just received my December issue a few days ago. There's no telling when January will arrive.

I also FINALLY received the December issue of CQ a few days ago.  Receiving issues so late makes all the DX, contest info worthless to the subscribers.  I have not received any issues of Popular Communications since last October...and that issue came VERY LATE in November.  I see they are "transitioning" to digital pubishing next month, but I have not received ANY notices about this from CQ.  I paid for a magazine...not some digital format that is difficult to navigate!

I still have well over a year left of CQ and THREE YEARS of Pop Comm.  You would think that any respectable business would notify their customers of any pending changes.  All I ever got from CQ when I contacted them was...."Printer Problems" or "The Next issue is in-the-mail". 

Many of us were also "lifetime subscribers" to World Radio when CQ acquired it.   When they went "digital" with WR, many of us were led to believe we would have continued access to that publication.  Instead, we were given a year or two and then would have to pay for it.

And....on more than one blog, I have read that CQ has not paid their writers and contributors for some time, now.  That's NOT GOOD, if true.

Why hasn't ANY CQ employee (or columnist) reported on any of the blogs what is REALLY going on?  If they have, I missed it....except for the one announcement about Taking the magazines "digital" in February, etc.  February is just over a week away.  Has anyone received any of the "new" digital products???

I would HATE to see CQ fold, but the apparent evidence does not look promising to me right now.

Tom, KR4BD
NT9M

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »

I took them up on their offer to add the CQ-Plus digital edition to my regular CQ subscription for just $12.00 and received my access through Zinio in about four days with the January edition. Looking forward to seeing that first expanded edition.

None of us like change, but many in the magazine industry struggle to be profitable, so like it or not I see digital as the future, and it's here now.

I've been a subscriber since becoming a ham and I'm hopeful that the changes they're making will put them on the right track.  The hobby is somewhat diminished if we were to lose another periodical such as CQ.

Tim
NT9M
WB2JOB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 02:43:28 PM »

Talked to a person at CQ last week who told me they were send out the Jan. and Feb issues right away from there office, this Mon. I call back when I had not received them, this time another person said she didn't know why I was told that because they didn't even have any copy's.
She said they had just gone through a "Merger", what ever that means and everything was very hectic and it would take month's to get thing sorted out.
At this point I don't know when if ever they will print CQ again.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:46:12 PM by WB2JOB » Logged
AF4RK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:16 AM »

I got the February 2014 CQ Digital on Feb 4. Still looking for the CQ Plus
WB2JOB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »

They have CQ on the net, but I don't want to have to read my CQ via a computer, as someone else said I don't want to have to take my
Computer into the bathroom with me, I paid for a hard copy and that is what i want.
73's
Bob
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »

And if they go to all digital I will drop them like I dropped Newsweek.
AF4RK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »

I ordered the CQ calendar, just to help 'em out with a few dollars. Got it right away. You guys who are complaining should read QST from 1919. If you think it's rough now. There almost wasn't Ham radio without the "Old Man".  People LOANED money to get a ham magazine on faith.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 02:16:34 AM »

If CQ was smart it would go quarterly. It can then slowly offer some digital articles that really is breaking news.

It should also introduce more technical contesting indepth  articles like NCJ.  Every time I pick up a copy of CQ every issue is just pages of nothing. Its  like reading
a phone book. How can you attract subscribers and readers  when there is nothing worth subscribing for or reading?

CQ had the right balance between advertising and articles. It just needs better more in-depth articles that attract readers. Anything that you can read in CQ you can find
on the internet and that is the root cause of their  supposed problems.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: