Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radioshack Plummeting Again  (Read 10466 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:21:21 AM »

Grabbed a 4-pack of 9V batteries from the always invasive Radio Shack. Store babe, 1/3 my age, demands my drivers license... this was a $10 credit card purchase, mind you!

Tho she was reluctant to take my plastic, she had no problem segueing into an effort to sign me up for a long term cell contract. (no thanks!)

Old hat with the Shack. Going to miss them. We hams all will.

Here's RSH's latest chart showing the same Christmastime tank that pummeled shares of Best Buy and similar brick/mortar retailers:

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »

Yep.  They keep trying to 'reinvent' themselves, but the problem is that they trash the things that attract people and keep the things that show that they're NOT an electronics retailer anymore.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »

So what happens with your CC purchase if you've left your drivers license out in the car or arrive on foot, or simply don't have a DL (which is becoming more common these days)?  I started to ask, but I almost feel sorry for them.

No doubt they'd eventually take my card anyway.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »

The local RS here has turned into the remote controlled Toys R Us store with the "Please buy your cell phone and batteries from Us" side line.
N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »

When I was a kid there were three or four amateur radio electronics shops in my town (San Francisco). And at least a couple of surplus stores with things like new WWII era bugs for sale for $5 or $10. A visit on a Saturday to the part of town where most of the shops were located was a real treat.

These days in Oakland CA I've got two or three Radio Shacks within 10 minutes. Not the best shops for electronics but they have stuff that I need from time to time. I can hit a local Radio Shack to buy a connector or other part I need for a project and be home again in 30 min. I'm glad RS is still going.

We've got a Ham Radio Outlet too, but it's significantly farther away. And a Fry's or two, also at a distance. I wouldn't like to see RS disappear.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 11:28:13 AM »

but they're on track to disappear.  there is no "radio" in RadioShack any more.  does look like a shack, though.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »

My RS is thriving.  I dropped over $100 on parts and gifts before Xmas.  The parts bins are well stocked; New Arduino kits on the wall; New series of Mini-Engineers Notebooks by Forrest Mims III.   Wish they had some DIN plugs...   No problems taking my credit card; no ID required, no hassling over cell phone sales.

Either buy stuff at RS or watch yours wither.  If you don't see what you need, ask.  They can transfer from another store in a few days, or from warehouse.  The online site has many items not stocked in store, but can be ordered for pickup in store.  If the clerks are clueless, be friendly and take minute to explain your project and educate them.

RS will be missed when it's gone.  bill
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:01:10 AM »

If this continues then RS might get bought out, hopefully by people who are more radio oriented.  I was never a big fan of RS even in its heyday, but the one store that I really do miss is Lafayette Radio.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 04:46:49 AM »

My RS is thriving.  I dropped over $100 on parts and gifts before Xmas. 

You could have got twice as much product buying over the internet. I still go in there, I did so yesterday because I needed a CR20126 battery. I could have bought it over the internet for a lot less, and probably should have (I paid $5.99 for it at R. Shack). Shame on me. The whole back wall and side wall of the store was cell phones. After locating the battery I walked around the store for a while. What hobby parts they had were few and way overpriced. I just balked at the prices for simple hobby items and tools. If they want to be a cell phone store they should just go whole hog and fill the store entirely with cell phones and accessories - more than any other store in town and be done with it.

Yea lady, I have plenty of batteries now I don't need any more. They won't survive doing business like that.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »

My RS is thriving.  I dropped over $100 on parts and gifts before Xmas.  The parts bins are well stocked; New Arduino kits on the wall; New series of Mini-Engineers Notebooks by Forrest Mims III.   Wish they had some DIN plugs...

Possibly it is an 'associate' store.  Company stores don't carry those things.

Either buy stuff at RS or watch yours wither.  If you don't see what you need, ask.  They can transfer from another store in a few days, or from warehouse.  The online site has many items not stocked in store, but can be ordered for pickup in store.  If the clerks are clueless, be friendly and take minute to explain your project and educate them.

At most RS stores, you'll get an argument and resistance to such ordering and delivery.  It means more work for the 'associates.'

Also, some clerks are clueless, but their so called training from that company makes a lot of them think they're the only knowledgeable person in the store.  I had one give me an argument about a RF connector part and insisted I didn't know what I was talking about until I showed him one I had brought with me!  Most of them don't want to be educated, they just want their paycheck.

RS will be missed when it's gone.

With the way the larger parts stores on the internet are going, that's somewhat doubtful.  Most serious electronics hobbiests already don't bother with them.
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »

My local Radioshack has almost no parts.  However, the Radioshack store on Ebay is free shipping on all parts.  I have used this for a few small parts purchases - a $1.00 part with free shipping and tracking  makes for a very good deal.  My guess is they are emptying their wharehouse and when it is empty that will b the end of getting any parts from RS. 

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »

Had a major problem with the local store.  Notified the main office via their website.  Nothing but crickets chirping.

You've got questions....they've got blank stares"
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »

Wow, RSH stock soars 18% today

"Earlier this month, Fort Worth, Texas-based RadioShack named John Feray, a former Dollar General Corp. executive, as chief financial officer. Feray is part of a team brought in under a turnaround effort led by Chief Executive Officer Joe Magnacca. Magnacca, who took over last year, plans to introduce new-format stores and reduce the number of stocked items."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-22/radioshack-rises-18-on-report-noting-litespeed-management-stake.html?cmpid=yhoo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:13:31 PM by K0OD » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 04:09:35 AM »

REDUCED STOCKED ITEMS!! Sounds like a winnah of a business plan. I can see it now, walk into an RS store that has a dozen or so computer stations from which you can order on line from the  PICTURE framed choices (with attendant order number) of various cell phones and remote controlled toys hanging on the walls and will be delivered directly to your home via FedEx or UPS drones. Best part is they can reduce the amount of employees to ONE who will open/close up, turn lights on/off and arm the security system at the store. Can't wait.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:13:08 AM by W1JKA » Logged
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 11:31:07 PM »

Reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit about a store they only sold scotch tape.  People would come in and want paper clips, staples, etc. 

Sounds like a sure fire way to bankruptcy. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: