Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WalMart beef jerky is not made from beef?  (Read 11557 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 03:20:39 AM »

I guess I'm lucky in that within a 5 mile radius, I have 3 good old fashioned butchers (one of whom cures his own bacon),  two farm shops as well as the supermarket for vegetables and a travelling fresh fish salesman on Tuesdays - he buys at the wholesale fish market on Mondays.

I do eat Chinese food, but these days, it's what I've cooked. When I used to go on business trips to Taiwan and Hong Kong, there wasn't much choice....
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 06:40:32 AM »

It seems real funny and some people here are joking about the catfish food story that I told about here, but it is really a true story. Yes, I have a sense of humor and some of the comments were funny! But it is a true story and something to think about.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »

It seems real funny and some people here are joking about the catfish food story that I told about here, but it is really a true story.

While most of these food stories are true and definitely serious, I suspect that most of the joking is because if we start to get paranoid about the food we buy then we'll go hungry!

KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »

SWMAN, I did very much take your post seriously.  It's just that sometimes, I have to find a reason to laugh, to keep from crying because of the evil that is being done to us, and our food chain.  Stuff our government should be protecting us from (FDA, USDA, etc), they fail to do so on an increasing basis.  The crap that gets into our water, our air (google chem-trails), and our food, is off the charts of acceptability.  I love sea food, but haven't consumed any since the time of the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  There are still stories of residual Corexit (oil dispersing agent) in seafood from the Gulf.  That was minor compared to the nuclear disaster that is now the Pacific Ocean, thanks to TEPCO and the Japanese earthquake/tsunami from a couple of years ago.  Of course, our mainstream media ignores that and the radiation level spikes along the California coast and even in some of the inland states such as NV and UT.  Here in SC, it seems that every stream, lake, and pond, as well as the fish in them, have high mercury levels.   Nope, I don't do any kind of fish, anymore.  What you told of, is just one more of many tragic stories about what has become of our food chain.

Other than ammunition (when they have it), I don't buy much from Wal-Mart, anymore.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »

people will believe anything about WallyWorld, because they frankly don't care, it's free advertising ala Hollywood.

I challenge anybody to do a DNA mapping of jerky and declare with authority what it's made of.  by the time they're done with whatever came in the loading dock, it could be tofu or cedar shakes or Bigfoot slices, it's all the same.
KB3FEI

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »

Truth or fiction? It's what I learned in high school 50 years ago--always consider the source of the information. In modern parlance--just because you saw it on the internet (or heard it on 75 meters) doesn't make it true. kb3fei.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »

I have a few cans of true bearing grease in the garage, can send you some if you like. Helped my rotator align up with true north.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »

Re: K16LZ

I could use a can, I opened mine from the wrong end and rotor ended up heading due south.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:58:27 PM by W1JKA » Logged
W2IBC

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 06:09:30 PM »

IMO people should just quit buying anything made in china.

then the problem would resolve itself.

You don't plan on buying much then, do you?

well I will not buy made in china. if china is the only option then I will just go without. shame nobody else has the balls to do the same.

Remember as long as people continue to buy made in china or any other place that is not the USA this nation will just continue to fall farther and farther into a 3rd world craphole.

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »

well I will not buy made in china. if china is the only option then I will just go without. shame nobody else has the balls to do the same.

Remember as long as people continue to buy made in china or any other place that is not the USA this nation will just continue to fall farther and farther into a 3rd world craphole.

what percentage of USA hams own Japanese rigs and shop at Walmart?
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »

I thought it was made from skinny old people.

We have a lot of retiree's down here.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »

While most of these food stories are true and definitely serious, I suspect that most of the joking is because if we start to get paranoid about the food we buy then we'll go hungry!

You should be very paranoid.  Your dealing with a country (China) that has business people who knowingly put the poisonous substance Melamine into Baby formula for their own peoples consumption just so they could save some money and in the process knowingly poisoned over 300,000 babies.  Why do you think they would hesitate for a second to do the same to a group of people that they really don't like?  

You don't need to go hungry in order to avoid eating food from China.  All it requires is one hour of your time.  After the Baby formula scandal the XYL and I went to the supermarket and did our usual shopping except this time we went through each item we normally buy and read where it was made.  If it said China we put it back and found a substitute that was made in a more reliable country.

Then when we got home we put the list with brand names in a spreadsheet and added more items to the sheet as we covered the gambit of products we bought throughout the month.   Now she prints out a list for me if I am doing the shopping, if she's going she remembers the brands off hand.

BTW the only thing we did not change was the Dog food and to our total dismay the Dog got sicker and sicker during a 6 month period. At one point when he was so weak and wobbly we quickly switched him over from canned and bagged food to fresh ground beef, ground  Chicken added to a rice diet.  He recovered 2 weeks later and lived for another 3 years before he died of old age.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:13:36 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »

MJR:  You're absolutely correct!  And, that was a great solution to "what to buy" problem.  My wife and I are paying more attention to what we eat, especially sea food.  (Fish - We don't eat anything else in the seafood line) 

The last bag of fish we bought was packaged in Vietnam!  I don't trust them anymore than I trust the Chinese...... so we waiting a couple weeks after eating it to see if our asses were going to fall off.

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 05:44:51 PM »

I guess I'm lucky in that within a 5 mile radius, I have 3 good old fashioned butchers (one of whom cures his own bacon),  ...

What awful sickness did the bacon have before the butcher cured it?  Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 06:36:16 PM »

I wonder if there is a tribe of cannibals somewhere who are just learning that their human jerky is being made from cows.

73 John AF5CC

Now thats a real knee slaper!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: