Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WalMart beef jerky is not made from beef?  (Read 12752 times)
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »

what percentage of USA hams own Japanese rigs and shop at Walmart?

I've never set foot in a Walmart (the nearest one is 16 miles away from my home). I don't own any pre-manufactured rigs -- it's all home-brew using vintage components, many of which were built in the USA.

But I have no problem with buying stuff from China and I have the highest admiration for the Japanese, whose quality-control methods have a lot to do with why consumer goods, and ham gear, are so good nowadays.

Come on everyone, it's a global economy.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2014, 02:07:07 AM »

I'll take part in K9AIM's poll. Count me as 1/10th of 1% owner of Japanese rice boxes, an IC-7200 for short wave listening I bought to take place of my S-38 because of more band coverage and to do my part to boost up the Japanese economy. All my boat anchors, home brew rigs, several QRP kits rigs and scavenged parts all proudly made/manufactured in the U.S.of A. No WalMart labeled plastic food wrappers in our trash can here, we buy local from organic farmers market, can/preserve and fish from outside front door.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:21:09 AM by W1JKA » Logged
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2014, 07:06:34 AM »

I stay away from Wally-World because they seem to be perfectly willing to screw over the small business owner. I feel badly for the employees who while they are taking maybe the only job that is available to them in their area they are treated as if they were working for a coal mining company and living in a company town, accepting company script that is only good at the company store.

Really the quality of their products is not much better than what you would get at K-Mart/Sears, Target (Targ'e) or JCPenny (Jaques Pennique). It is their scorched earth tactics that I find repellent, very much in the same way that I dislike Microsoft or Apple or the Koch companies for their robber-baron ways.

As "The Who" sang in "Won't Be Fooled Again", "Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss".

China's entire economy is all part of what Eisenhower warned us of;

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."

China has lobbyists in the US to influence our public policy to be favorable to them. A hundred years ago that was called treason.

We are reliant upon a country that does not like us. They see us as obstructing their version of a manifest destiny for their people. They do not believe in intellectual property rights, individual rights, freedom of expression, freedom of belief or to be in dissent of the party line. They are playing a deep-game, while we squabble away over what will be some ridiculous party position in two or four years.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:09:33 AM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »

TISHA for PREZ-2016
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »

I  2nd the motion for Tisha for Pres.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »

China's entire economy is all part of what Eisenhower warned us of;

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."

A significant part of our own economy & politics is also part of what Ike warned us about; and most of the rest of it is largely controlled by non-military corporate interests and puppet politicians pretending to represent the best interests of the people.

I try to avoid WalMart for the reasons you cite -- it is also worth noting they are the nation's largest employer and thus have the biggest impact on wages & benefits of working Americans.  Henry Ford was wise: he said he wanted to pay his workers enough that they could afford to buy his product.  Most of worker wages go back into the economy. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:55:57 AM by K9AIM » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »

the rest of it is largely controlled by non-military corporate interests and puppet politicians pretending to represent the best interests of the people.

I would like to add THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY to the above list of control freaks!

For 65 years I drove American made autos.  I lived through the "rust bucket" era and no amount of bitching by the consumer ever swayed the auto industry to build and sell cars that didn't rust out within 1-2 years!

Why did they finally change?  The Japanese started to sell cars that DID NOT RUST for years! But by damn, I was going to buy American no matter what.  The "what" was taking one up to the feathers for 65 years. 

When I was 77 I bought my first Japanese car and you know something, I now enjoy driving once again!  The car is incredible. 

Don't patronize Wal-mart? No problem.  Go to the store next door and buy the same Chinese pizza sheet and pay more for it and kid yourself all the way home.

I now buy whatever I want, wherever I want.  I spent my life buying American and all I got was screwed.  And just a little note here..... the American companies that I bought from moved to these foreign countries which stuck it to us Americans again! 

That's my FWIW opinion for this thread!
W2IBC

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 07:47:02 AM »

Don't patronize Wal-mart? No problem.  Go to the store next door and buy the same Chinese pizza sheet and pay more for it and kid yourself all the way home.

thing is I will not buy anything made in china. I will buy something that is used and 30 years old over anything new made in china

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 09:27:24 AM »

heh, you should have seen the late 80s and early 90s Acuras around these parts when the calendar indicated late 1990s.  gaping rustouts all over the things.  looked like little airplanes vainly flapping all their little wings trying to get off the air.

by that time GM and Ford were using galvanized steel in their body panels.

Japan, Inc. figured it out pretty quickly though.

-0-

on another note, the Minnesota office of Tisha for President 2016 is now open...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »

on another note, the Minnesota office of Tisha for President 2016 is now open...

No thanks!  We have a wild eyed radical president now.  Don't want another one in 16!   Grin
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 11:20:37 AM »

Re: K8AXW

Take your pick, it's either Hillary (all show and no go) or Tisha who knows a little something about embassy communications and security.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2014, 09:03:53 AM »

Don't patronize Wal-mart? No problem.  Go to the store next door and buy the same Chinese pizza sheet and pay more for it and kid yourself all the way home.

I now buy whatever I want, wherever I want.  I spent my life buying American and all I got was screwed.  And just a little note here..... the American companies that I bought from moved to these foreign countries which stuck it to us Americans again!  

That's my FWIW opinion for this thread!

the math people seem to miss is not the initial cost of buying item X at Walmart vs. somewhere else, it is the larger costs in lost wages overall.  For example, over the years as Walmart became America's biggest employer it also had the impact of lessening everyone's wages which means we are not really paying less a percentage of our income for that item x.  Instead we helped feed a beast that is taking chunks of assets away from working people and putting them into the hands of the very few at the top -- despite the fact that those at the top are already doing extremely well.  Lowering taxes on the very wealthy does not bring near as much money into the economy as would raising worker wages.  The very rich put most of it away into tax shelters; workers spend it back into the economy.  

i can kid myself not patronizing Walmart means not supporting the corporate welfare WalMart gets when taxpayers help pay the government assistance and healthcare costs of their employees who make a poverty level wage. Others can kid themselves they are saving their families money in the long-term by shopping there.  

The TPP, like NAFTA, seems to be a great deal for those at the very top and it may help stocks and GDP but the average American worker will become more and more impoverished.  

Quote from: Wiki Trans-Pacific Partnership page
On 23 May 2012, United States Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) introduced S. 3225, proposed legislation that would require the Office of the United States Trade Representative to disclose its TPP documents to all members of Congress.[80] Wyden said the bill clarifies the intent of the 2002 legislation which was supposed to increase Congressional access to information about USTR activity, but which, according to Wyden, is being incorrectly interpreted by the USTR as justification to excessively limit such access.[81] Wyden asserted:
“    The majority of Congress is being kept in the dark as to the substance of the TPP negotiations, while representatives of U.S. corporations—like Halliburton, Chevron, PHRMA, Comcast, and the Motion Picture Association of America—are being consulted and made privy to details of the agreement. [...] More than two months after receiving the proper security credentials, my staff is still barred from viewing the details of the proposals that USTR is advancing. We hear that the process by which TPP is being negotiated has been a model of transparency. I disagree with that statement.[81]    ”

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass) and Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) have criticized the Obama administration's secrecy policies on the Trans-Pacific Pact.[82][83]

remember back when one of the best things about America was that average workers had liveable wages?  The last three decades has seen that steadily erode and we are being lowered to the levels of workers in third world countries while they are being raised.  Remember when they talked of how increases in productivity and automation would lead to shorter work weeks for Americans?  Instead almost all of the profits have gone to those at the extreme top.  What is strange about that is one would think the very wealthy would be educated enough and have time to figure out that only worrying about one's own well-being is an impoverished mentality.  

Quote from: Socrates:
He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature
Fortunately the spirit of what Socrates was getting at in the above quote is true.

W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »

The title of this thread got me to thinking.  And no, I haven't read all the comments so if someone has already stolen MY idea I'll be mad.
I know quite a few 'jerks'.  I wonder if I could sell them by the pound??
 - Paul
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »

Just behave yourself because they are only making this stuff out of people they have a beef with. {:>)   Wink   Cheesy   Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »

Every time I convince myself that Ham Radio is attracting brigter than average bulbs.....
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: