Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW lost personal key, how long for arrl to respond?  (Read 3758 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »

Well the title pretty much sums it up. I lost, forgot, misplaced, my personal key so I haven't put up any new contacts since October of 2013, My bad.  Tongue

Anyhow after searching high and low and scouring my computer I was unable to locate the personal key that I created which was quite cryptic so no chance in 'guessing' it. I did have it written down somewhere but that evidently got tossed as well.

I did the only thing you can do which is contact the ARRL and file a ticket. But I was wondering how long do they usually take to respond? Does the fact that I filed it on a Friday gum things up??

Just curious...
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:59:14 PM »

Are you able to log into the LoTW web site?  Or by "personal key" are you referring to your password?

If you forgot your password, I don't know, but it should be relatively quick.

If it's your certificate, it generally takes a few days to request a new one via the web interface.  I do suggest you download the latest TQSL program as it makes this process very easy.

Jim
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »

Are you able to log into the LoTW web site?  Or by "personal key" are you referring to your password?

If you forgot your password, I don't know, but it should be relatively quick.

If it's your certificate, it generally takes a few days to request a new one via the web interface.  I do suggest you download the latest TQSL program as it makes this process very easy.

Jim

I can log into the site just fine, but it is the personal key required for 'uploads' I did update to the latest TQSL but still un able to post any updates. Oh well I will just wait. Frustrating thing is I have the password plugged into hrd and other things but cant extract it, or at least I don't know how. Oh well maybe in a week or two I will get back up to speed.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »

I can log into the site just fine, but it is the personal key required for 'uploads' I did update to the latest TQSL but still un able to post any updates. Oh well I will just wait. Frustrating thing is I have the password plugged into hrd and other things but cant extract it, or at least I don't know how. Oh well maybe in a week or two I will get back up to speed.

So, you're talking about the password you use right before signing your files and uploading to LoTW?  If so, that is locally generated and stored and the League can't help you with that.  You'll have to get a new certificate and set it all up again (not too difficult of a process).  See the faq at: https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw/faq#pwlost

However, many people don't set a password for local signing.  Are you certain you did?  Have you tried without a password? 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »

Right well that's exactly the process I was speaking of asking about how long it usually takes.

Yes I have tried with no password, and with some password guesses. Unfortunatly neither works so I just have to await the response from the arrl.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:43 AM »

Use the TQSL program and request a new cert.  Make the personal key something easy to remember, but still secure.  It takes the ARRL a few days to issue the new cert.  In HRD use your LoTW password in the first block and this new personal key in the second block.

Jim
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »

Thanks once I figured this out it actually got cleared up in one day.

Just delete the old callsign and apply for a new cert. It came the same day...

Sorry about the confusion all is good now thanks..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: