Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uploading Phone Video To Youtube Problem  (Read 4752 times)
KD8HMO

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »

Im having a problem uploading a video to Youtube. I took a short video with my cellphone camera. It appears to be an MP4. I transferred it to my pc and tried to upload it. Youtube said its not a type it accepts. Have to convert. I have tried three different free converters to make it into a wmv or mp2 or avi. But when I try to play the new files they don't work, and Youtube wont accept any of them. Any help would be appreciated Smiley
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »

I took a short video with my phone, in mp4 format . . Transferred it to my computer and uploaded it to YouTube without any issues. YouTube did say it would be better/faster if I used a different format. I was able to play the video on YouTube as well.

Can you be more specific about the problem you are having?

KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »

I took the short video with a Kyocera Hydro Edge. The size is 148mb and format seems to be just mp4. I try to upload it to Youtube and I get the warning that it isn't a format that they accept.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:33:58 PM »

I got a warning also but it still uploaded and worked.  . . . .

KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »

I will try it again. I transferred it to this computer, but it wont seem to play. I tried using movie maker and a couple of freeware converters to change it to another format, but same problem.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:57:19 PM »

At link below there is 32 converters, take your pick.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/tp/free-video-converter.htm

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »

I'd try Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/).  It outputs MP4, and can read most formats.  MP4 has lots of configs, and its possible the MP4 your phone generated is doing something youtube doesn't support.  If you download handbrake, there will be a bunch of presets.  The version here has a "Normal" profile, that I'm betting will work.  I'd only make a few changes:  Set Framerate to "same as source", I'd set average bit rate to 1000kbps for anything 640x480 or lower, 2000 for 720p, and 3000 for 1080p.  Finally, go into the picture settings and and make sure the output resolution is about the same and the input, and turn off any anamorphic scaling.
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »

Well, I tried a direct upload from the phone and it worked as an mp4. No clue why I couldn't do from my pc...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 04:28:54 PM »

I'd try Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/).  It outputs MP4, and can read most formats.  MP4 has lots of configs, and its possible the MP4 your phone generated is doing something youtube doesn't support.  If you download handbrake, there will be a bunch of presets.  The version here has a "Normal" profile, that I'm betting will work.  I'd only make a few changes:  Set Framerate to "same as source", I'd set average bit rate to 1000kbps for anything 640x480 or lower, 2000 for 720p, and 3000 for 1080p.  Finally, go into the picture settings and and make sure the output resolution is about the same and the input, and turn off any anamorphic scaling.

A mpeg 4 format is a mpeg 4, if it does not play on a PC it is because it lacks proper decoder. As far as bit rate, 720p needs 3x the sample rate as 640 x 480 and 1080 2x 720. 500 kbps is fine for 640 x 480, 1500 for 720 and 3k for 1080 on Mpeg 4. Mpeg 4 need less bandwidth than mpeg 2.  When you shoot 1080 your upload can get very large and a good quality 720 is better here as a compromise between quality and upload time. They new 4k HD standard that Netflix will soon start streaming (7680 x 4360) needs a minimum of 15,000 kbps of broadband feed. When HD standards were finalized 6 years ago it supported up to 4k but hardware was not ready for it then.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:36:55 AM »

My point wasn't about what would play on the PC, but what would work with whatever transcoding happens on the youtube side.  There are a lot of variations in the MP4 spec, and it is very possible that you will find things that will not necessarily support all the variations, especially all the possible codecs.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »

My point wasn't about what would play on the PC, but what would work with whatever transcoding happens on the youtube side.  There are a lot of variations in the MP4 spec, and it is very possible that you will find things that will not necessarily support all the variations, especially all the possible codecs.

There has been about 30 additions or tweaks to mpeg 4 standard since it was laid down in 1998 but it is mostly for using different codecs and support for 3d video too. if you have a recent converter it should support latest tweaks.

W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 08:21:22 PM »

that was my point, except to mention that I encounter compatibility issues with MP4 on a regular basis.  I've had to step back some of the configs on our live streaming mp4 server to maintain broad compatibility with our users  (poor area with a lot of people trying to stream video on 10 year old computers) and while I've never uploaded to youtube, I've seen other sites get picky with codec and other settings.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 08:07:51 AM »

that was my point, except to mention that I encounter compatibility issues with MP4 on a regular basis.  I've had to step back some of the configs on our live streaming mp4 server to maintain broad compatibility with our users  (poor area with a lot of people trying to stream video on 10 year old computers) and while I've never uploaded to youtube, I've seen other sites get picky with codec and other settings.

Given how cheap new hardware is there is little reason to hang on to old computers. And said part is streaming with older standards like mpeg2 actually have greater broad band requirements too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: