Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: one more  (Read 1719 times)
AE7IS

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »

since im asking, how could I  extend the mike line on a dm-t710a kenwood?  as I'm sure you all know, the mic plugs into the main body not the control head.  I would like to gain 5 feet at least.
thanks again
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 01:59:09 AM »

Yes. I just used a network cable with a female to female adapter on the end to give the mic something to plug into. Its been working fine for 4 years now.
AE7IS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »

Can I assume you mean a male  --female network cable?
Thanks for the imput
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:51:47 AM »

Yes, you certainly can extend the mic-cable.  It's nice to use a cable (Cat-5?) that's shielded.
 - Paul
AE7IS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »

I went to bestbuy, picked up a cat5e cable and a female to female connector.  cable wont plug into radio, mic wont plug into connector.  this was the only connector they had , in stock or on the computer.  which cable did any of you folks use and which female to female connector did you use?  at 18.99 per cable and 8.99 per connector I would like to get my next visit right.  thanks
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »

Can I assume you mean a male  --female network cable?
Thanks for the imput

No, one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/QVS-CC936-RJ45-Female-Coupler/dp/B00007E86X
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:21:05 PM »

I went to bestbuy, picked up a cat5e cable and a female to female connector.  cable wont plug into radio, mic wont plug into connector.  this was the only connector they had , in stock or on the computer.  which cable did any of you folks use and which female to female connector did you use?  at 18.99 per cable and 8.99 per connector I would like to get my next visit right.  thanks

Something is amiss. The radio uses standard RJ45 connectors both on the microphone and the head unit. I know because I have about 1,000 RJ45 connectors here that I use for making my own network cables up and it was those I used to make my own cable.

The connectors are a few cents and cables with connectors on the end a few dollars, $8.99 for a single connector is twice what I'd expect to pay for a pre-made cable and coupler combined . All you need is a bog standard PC network cable and one of these :

http://www.amazon.com/QVS-CC936-RJ45-Female-Coupler/dp/B00007E86X
AE7IS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »

thanks I will try again.  I did check what end cables I bought, they were rj-45's  so perhaps I just got in a hurry.  I will try again when I get a chance, Monday looks likely.  thank you for the support.
may I say I come to eham for my advice, always friendly and spot on, not like that other site for sure.
thanks
frank
AE7IS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »

I got it.  thanks for the help
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: