Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different mount for Kenwood TM-D710 Head Unit?  (Read 2557 times)
KJ4KPV

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:31:10 PM »

My father recently gifted me the Kenwood TM-D710G for helping him out with a few things.  <Thanks Dad!>

This rig comes with two mounts... a base stand and also what could only be described as a "duck-foot" of a mobile mount. 

Instead of a duck-foot mount, does someone make a basic flat-plate, similar to a square mount about the size of a lido or a proclip mount, that screws into the second half of the mount (the one that snaps to the head unit)?

Most of the installs in my mobile have been clean and professional looking... and I want to keep it that way.  With the Florida heat, that adhesive will come off.  I don't want a suction cup window mount nor a clasp mount that hugs the whole head unit, and I'm not drilling into the dash.   

The idea I have was:
1.) Leaving the 857D where it is. 
2.) Take out my VX-8R (the D710 is replacing it)
3.) Move my iphone cradle down to the 15" seat-mount. 
4.) Mount the D710 to where the iphone was.  I'm going to buy/make a wide plate and attach two small speakers either above or below the head unit. 

What do you think? Anybody have other ideas or mounting solutions or catch something I had missed?  The biggest question I have is the mounting plate to replace the duck-foot plate

Thanks for reading this. 
Jesse KJ4KPV

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:33:31 PM by KJ4KPV » Logged
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:25:36 AM »

I use a Proclip mount. What I did was cut the duck feet off the Kenwood mount, put some strong double sided tape over the back of what was left and used the three screw holes in it to screw it to the proclip mount. That supports a TS480 head unit which is way heavier than the TM-D710 one with no issue.

If you come to sell the rig and need to get another duckfoot mount you can buy them from Kenwood. The part number is in the user manual.
KJ4KPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:33:13 AM »

I'm awaiting an email back from Kenwood over pricing of the additional brackets and panel mounts.

Cutting the panel "duck-foot" mount looks like the better route, way better than one of the other ideas I had for making one. 

Thanks for your help and advice. 

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »

It does not get as hot in Florida as it gets in Arizona.  I have the mount for the head of my 710 installed on the dash of my truck and it has been on there for 2 years and it has not moved nor has the adhesive loosened. It will work just fine. Just make sure you clean the plastic dash and get off any Armour All or other protectant where you put the mount.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: