Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Shackbox release.  (Read 2044 times)
CWK

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »

I had Shackbox carbon and loved it so I downloaded the new release. I haven't tried it out yet but was wondering if anyone els has.
It is Linux based so for those running windows you can run it on your machine using Virtual PC or VirtualBox or whatever your choice of virt.
Thoughts?
CWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:01:59 AM »

http://shackbox.net/

Forgot the link.Sorry.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 06:40:11 AM »

Thanks for mentioning it. I'll download it and install it later. I prefer installing these things instead of using it live for better performance. I have some extra hard drives that I can use to install it on. Here is the download page. http://shackbox.net/downloads/

It says the KEYMAP is in French, so it has to be changed. "By default keymap layout is set to french, don t forget to change it!" The ISO file is rather large at  3.7 GB so you must put this on a DVD. Or run it as virtual.  It will take 2 hours+ to download.

(For the newbies. The ISO file simply means it is an complete installation disc that once you download the file you must burn it to a DVD disc as an ISO file (image file) not as a regular file. Then once you burn it, you can run it or should be able install it.)

From the site it says....

"More than 150 apps for Hamradio Operators ready out of the box on a live cd!  

Ubuntu based
Shackbox is now based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS wich offers the best long time update garanty. For fit shackbox on a DVD, some of native parts of UBUNTU 12.04 had to be removed, such as the new UNITY interface for preserve the app menu tree,and all KDE related apps

SDR & GNURadio support
Shackbox is the first and only linux live cd distribution offering to user sdr support ofr rtl2832 devices AND gnuradio-companion plug and play with no installation needed.

24-7 Support
Shackbox is free to download, it s a choice i ve did,BUT i have also decided that support well be par of a 10$ per year membership, just because it s a lot of work for myself, and helping you guys for free, wouldn t help me at all. Hosting and maintaining takes me already lots of time, sure you understand. "

Thanks for the tip
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:44:37 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KD8DVR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »

Looks good... I need something for my hambox when winxp goes end of Life in April... I'll get a new machine built out with it installed.

All items presented here are personal opinion only and may or may not deviate from actual fact.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: