Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI and touchless faucets  (Read 7775 times)
WB1FFI

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2014, 06:02:17 AM »

The last post for this question was in 2010 so I pose it again as there may be more touchless faucet users now in 2014. Does anyone know if the touchless faucets are susceptible to RFI like the touchless lamps?
We are considering installing one in a remodeled kitchen on the ground floor and my home is susceptible to RFI from my chimney mounted antennas - 2 element triband YAGI and 40m dipole...CO detectors occasionally beep and touchless lamps on second floor cycle on and off. I know that the touchless faucets have a battery power pack, but can also be wired to AC line with a transformer. I am told that the touchless faucet will turn itself off after several minutes as to not waste water,  but if the RF causing cycling, it may not help. Thanks and appreciation for anyone's experience with this.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »

The answer is maybe. There is just no way to determine whether it is susceptible to RF without installing it due to the gazillion variables such as make, model, plumbing configuration, location of adjacent wiring, location of antenna, etc etc etc. You just have to try it and see. If it works all is well, if not lucky then might have to try RFI mitigation such as ferrites and or bypass capacitors. I had to use some caps to keep my sprinkler system from going on when on 17 meters. I think there is no better answer.
AI8O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »

I think KI6LZ is right.
 Just to many variables to give you a definite answer without
trying it out.

I have an outdoor light with a light sensor that turns on every time I transmit on UHF.

These things are not designed to work in proximity to RF.

Also, I think mixing water and electricity is a BAD idea.
You have to place some electric current on the metal surface of the appliance to get it to work.
The current is supposed to be low voltage, but
Suppose something shorts out, what happens then? 110v at 15A could cause you to have a BAD day.

You will also have to place a wall wart under the sink to supply power to the circuitry, what happens if the water supply line springs a leak spraying water on the device under the sink?

If you need to turn on the faucet without touching it, check out getting a foot pedal valve like hospitals and restaurants have.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:33 AM »

The Sloan brand that we use here in the high rise are all battery powered. Battery is used only to turn solonide on and off. No 110 volts or wal wart used on them. Not sure about RFI though.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:59 AM »

All of the recent commercial (Sloan) valves that I've seen use a battery operated IR sensor. I expect those would be pretty resistant to RFI. As soon as you start adding wires for an external power supply you open up a path for RF to enter the control (think antenna). The old touch lamps used a sensitive capacitance switch which was much more sensitive to RF. Add all the house wiring into the mix and you had a recipe for RFI problems.

WB1FFI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:12:07 AM »

Thanks for the advice so far. Further details: the faucet is a Moen with an infrared sensor on the top and front. The top sensor turns the faucet on for 2 minutes and the lower sensor is just on for when an object or hand blocks the IR beam. Anyone using this particular faucet in their homes?
N7DGI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »

I installed a Delta touchless which is a capacitive sensor type. I finally gave up and converted it back to a regular faucet. It would turn on and off when I transmitted on HF, and believe it or not, was also sensitive to geomagnetic storms. When it worked, it was great. We could always tell the space weather when the faucet would suddenly turn on by itself. I'd go check and sure enough there was a CME, or solar wind event, going on. Got to be too much of a pain.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »

Hope the capacitive type never catch on for home use! I would hate to have to explain why my radio operations turned on the neighbor's faucets. If on got turned on but not off when they were gone it could get messy. I think that something like that would cause more problems than interferring with TV or Radio.

David
KF7CG
K4KYV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »

Hope the capacitive type never catch on for home use! I would hate to have to explain why my radio operations turned on the neighbor's faucets.

Simple. Explain to them that their touchless faucet unit was defective.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:23:43 AM »

Hope the capacitive type never catch on for home use! I would hate to have to explain why my radio operations turned on the neighbor's faucets.

Simple. Explain to them that their touchless faucet unit was defective.

And the neighbor would believe an Amateur Radio Operator over their plumber!

KF7CG
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »

Just think what would happen if it turned on the HOT water at full temp - like if a tankless water heater malfunctioned. A person could be seriously burned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: