Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for some insight  (Read 1277 times)
CERBERUS

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »

Hey all. Ron Anderson here. First off let me introduce myself, my name is Ronald Anderson I go by Ron sometimes, and also Andy, I'm 53 yrs of age, and I just went and took my first ham test on the 26 of Jan and passed the Tech portion, so i'm waiting for my license now. So on to whyI'm looking for some insight. I would like to know what would be a good starter mobile radio for someone just getting into hams.Also a good mobile Antenna, and maybe a Handheld also just to keep in the house. Like I said this is my first, although I'm not completely on air stupid I have been on a radio before yeah a cb, I know they are worlds apart. So I'm hoping some of you can point me in the right direction so that I may get my feet wet. I also plan on studying for the general here soon. Thanks to all who read's this. Oh not sure if this goes here or in some other spot.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »

I think the first thing is to get to a club in your area and try as many things out as you can to get a feel for what suits you with people who can guide you.
The problem is this, Ron. I have no idea of your experiences. I don't want to say "Do this, do that" then turns out it doesn't suit you.
However what I would suggest as a catch most without spending too much.
Shack-in-a-box radio (Icom 706, 7000, 7100, Yaesu FT857, 897) Most of these are available second hand (except the 7100)
2/70 vertical
G5RV, doublet or trapped 40/80 dipole.
If you still have some of your CB tackle, well thats ten metres sorted (Possibly 12 as well)

73 de Tony

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »

If you're planning to stay a tech for a while, 10m is where you're going to be along with VHF/UHF. The Sirio 5000 Performer is an excellent 11m mobile antenna that with a minimal amount of tuning will work the whole 10m band.

For VHF/UHF the Larsen NMOs get good press.

Radios are a whole different story as there's such a wide range.

www.k0bg.com for all things to do with mobile installations.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »

Ron - you sound like you're in the USA - go to http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club and enter your zip code, check out clubs in your vicinity. Hams local to you can talk to you, visit your location, make a recommendation that fits your budget and ambitions, and give you good advice.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »

Asking opinions about radios is about like asking about cars.  You'll get as many opinions of what's best as there are owners, sort of.  I think finding a club or a couple of local hams to find out what's available in your area, such as repeaters, on different bands, would be a good idea.  You'd also find out if there are any particular brands/models 'they' would stay away from, and why!
I'm a Kenwood fan so would recommend one of those radios.  Single band or dual band, etc.  I think it would be a very good idea if you can decide what abilities you want before buying something.  Being 'new', that's not going to be very easy since you probably don't have a good idea of what's possible yet.  The basic choices are single band or dual band radios (VHF/UHF) and then there's HF.  (Send me your credit card and I'll get you a good radio!  Right??)
Antennas are another one of those Ford/Chevy thingys, everybody has their own opinion of what's best.  Me too!  I think a base loaded 5/8 wave for 2 meters is about as 'average'/'standard' as you can get.  There are probably 'better' antennas around, but that 5/8 wave'er is very common, so must be at least an 'average' performer.  I've also got an opinion about dual band antennas, I've used the same one on several vehicles over the years, it does just dandy.  Lots of qualifiers with antennas, so check around.
Good luck and have fun.
 - Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: