Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting $50 Pneumatic Antenna Launcher  (Read 3724 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »

EHam has several reviews (all 5/5) for the Air Boss antenna launcher but I've never seen it discussed in the forums. Nor have I seen it advertised in print. The Air Boss seems perfect for hams like me with tall trees.

A good slingshot will get you to 45-50 feet with practice. Quality bows are expensive and require some experience. Tennisball guns are expensive and I worry about all that dangerous air pressure inside plastic pipe.

To reach 200' (!!!) Air Boss needs just 40 lbs of air which is easily obtainable from bike tire inflation devices.

http://kr4loairboss.com/
Note the video demonstration at the bottom of the page.

Opinions?
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:36:03 PM »

neat gadget but what happens when the knot breaks on that 2 oz lead sinker LOL

Officer murphy is down the road doing radar when bang he's got a hole in his hood Smiley

That's 200' straight up with a line attached. Take the line off ziiiiiing just like a broken off fishing lure.
KK4RSV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »

Spider wire is pretty tough  like a night in jail  lol  its a braided line. It will break   but it is very tough.
Just saying
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:39:50 PM »

neat gadget but what happens when the knot breaks on that 2 oz lead sinker LOL

Officer murphy is down the road doing radar when bang he's got a hole in his hood Smiley

That's 200' straight up with a line attached. Take the line off ziiiiiing just like a broken off fishing lure.

Better his hood than his head ....  Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »

EHam has several reviews (all 5/5) for the Air Boss antenna launcher but I've never seen it discussed in the forums. Nor have I seen it advertised in print. The Air Boss seems perfect for hams like me with tall trees.

A good slingshot will get you to 45-50 feet with practice. Quality bows are expensive and require some experience. Tennisball guns are expensive and I worry about all that dangerous air pressure inside plastic pipe.

To reach 200' (!!!) Air Boss needs just 40 lbs of air which is easily obtainable from bike tire inflation devices.

http://kr4loairboss.com/
Note the video demonstration at the bottom of the page.

Opinions?

A friend built one from plans on the web. Same thing except used a lawn sprinkler valve for instant dump of the pressure. It also had the air tank on 2 90's and it was on top of the barrel. Very compact. It used 2 end caps from 1"PVC and a very short piece with a weight in it. Some very impressive altitudes could be reached with very little pressure. It was powerful enough he used trotline line. Cost him less than $20 IIRC....

Clif

WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »

I left the most recent review. I don't leave reviews but I was so happy with this product that I decided to leave my first.

The Air Boss works just as seen in the video. It's incredibly easy to use (follow all the safety instructions, the manual is on the website). I've shot lines over 70/80 foot trees with out any problems, as high as I need to go. I have used a slingshot/reel combination in the past but I couldn't get a line as high as I wanted plus the sinker wouldn't be heavy enough to come down through branches.

I also ordered the sinker recommended.

As I pointed out, KR4LO, that makes the Air Boss, suggested that larger spool reels work best (the reel, line, clamps are not included).

Shipping is about $20; very well packaged in an indestructible tube which doubles for storage and transporting the Air Boss.

It's actually fun shooting lines now. Probably the best bang for the buck I've spent on ham radio.

note: no association with KR4LO

W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:11:38 AM »

I have a 9' surf pole from my days of living next to the Pacific Ocean and I can put a line into a tree at 75' quite nicely. Then again I have been fishing since I was very young and I am quite good at casting.
I use a 4 oz. weight with 40" test line and cast it up and over my selected limb and hook the line to the support Dacron that will support the wire antenna and pull it back through.
The problem I see with the air launchers is that if you miss your target branch you have to pump it up again and if you used a compressor it may not be in the same location as your target tree.
K4BAD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:18:28 AM »

I found it difficult to use the open face fishing reel to reel in the antenna support rope.Line would tend to twist rather than reel in.I never mastered the technique. Suggest you look at you tube videos RE: fishing with open face fishing reels.Hope this is useful.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »

If the line is twisting you loaded it on the reel the wrong way, or it's possible.
Look up loading open spinning reels for more information.
Also of note you may not be using a swivel on the line to bring up the Dacron support line. Use a HD swivel at the sinker that you remove and tie your line to it and it will not twist.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:28:19 AM by W7KKK » Logged
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »

These have been sold for quite some time:

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/csv19/csv19asm.html

I have had one for years.

The Air Boss is a much simpler design; not better, just different.  YMMV.

You use a portable air tank like this one

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-gal-horizontal-air-tank-135-psi/p-00915200000P

and fill it up from your big compressor at home.
KE4RPX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 10:18:54 PM »

Have to say this is a really neat launcher to use.  It works just as shown in the video.  It is currently advertised in QST, page 153, Feb, 2014 issue.  I presume it has been advertised in other venues although I've forgotten where I learned about it. 

Never having used one of these devices, common sense suggested I try it out in a local park first to determine what air pressures would give me specific heights.  I used a bicycle tire pump.  Worked just fine at 20 pounds, then 25, then 30, all without working up a sweat to pressurize the chamber.  It certainly helped to know what to expect when I used it to put up a couple of antennas.   

Also used an old Zebco closed face reel.  Worked just fine but I did switch to a much stronger pound test line, just in case.  Use of Spyder braided line is recommended for a reason though. If I had an open face reel, I would've used it.  I spray painted the sinker florescent orange to help my tired ol eyes find it among the tree branches although that turned out not to be an issue.

The launcher arrived on the date I was told it would.  I was impressed with the packaging and especially the meticulous cutting of styrofoam  to close tolerance to fit in the mailing tube and to protect the launcher from mishandling or damage during transit.  It suggested to me that the vendor [KR4LO]cares about his customers and that the launcher was manufactured with an equal amount of care.   

I have no relation with the vendor apart from being a very satisfied customer. 

KE4RPX

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »

Second what KZ1X said.  I have the CVS19, and I have used it dozens of times.  I use a simple automobile tire pump to fill up the air.  Works perfectly.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »

Sounds expensive for what you get.  I built my sprinkler valve launcher for less than that.

I use a 12v tire inflator to fill mine.  Quick and easy.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: