Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile while pulling a travel trailer  (Read 4391 times)
WA9CFK

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »

For a number of years I was traveling a lot and had good luck with a Hustler antenna mounted on the back bumper of my pick-up.

Recently I have purchased a pull behind travel trailer and would like to go mobile again.  My question is, has anyone run mobile pulling a large travel trailer and was there any noticeable difference in performance? 
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »

My neighbor NK7U pulls a very big 5th wheel trailer and it has no negative effect on his HF mobile operation from the truck that pulls it
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:53:02 AM »

Some trailers are basically fiberglass with wood "studs" and a foam sandwich as their structural strength. Some are basically aluminum skin with aluminum "studs" as their structural strength. Obviously there will be a difference in the capacitive coupling the antenna "sees". Capacitive coupling -- detuning of an antenna -- is how remote door openers in super markets, etc, work.

But the REAL question you should be asking yourself is if it's safe and prudent to drive with a trailer while operating HF. Once I had a 100% damn fool put me in danger while driving my F-150 with a 27 foot travel trailer. Once I blew the left rear tire on the truck. Both times I was in traffic but got stopped without incident. I was real busy for a while. My family and I and everyone on the road near us was in danger. For damn sure I wasn't operating HF at the time!!!!!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 06:26:24 AM »

Some trailers are basically fiberglass with wood "studs" and a foam sandwich as their structural strength. Some are basically aluminum skin with aluminum "studs" as their structural strength. Obviously there will be a difference in the capacitive coupling the antenna "sees". Capacitive coupling -- detuning of an antenna -- is how remote door openers in super markets, etc, work.

But the REAL question you should be asking yourself is if it's safe and prudent to drive with a trailer while operating HF. Once I had a 100% damn fool put me in danger while driving my F-150 with a 27 foot travel trailer. Once I blew the left rear tire on the truck. Both times I was in traffic but got stopped without incident. I was real busy for a while. My family and I and everyone on the road near us was in danger. For damn sure I wasn't operating HF at the time!!!!!

When I HF mobile I usually use a headset with vox.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »

It depends on your exact setup, but it may change some aspects, perhaps better signal to the front and worse to the back, or such. I would just put it in and go for it. remember the first job is to drive, and then play radio... have fun!
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:48:29 PM »

>>>> But the REAL question you should be asking yourself is if it's safe and prudent to drive with a trailer while operating HF. <<<<

Maybe you should ask that question to the over 1 Million Truck drivers who pull trailers up to 53 foot and has been using their CB since the Seventies.
 And, please don't tell me CB isn't HF!

((((73)))) Milverton.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 05:37:30 AM »

The potential problem is that HF operating usually includes tuning and adjusting various other radio settings from time to time. 2M and CB are generally channelized operations that require minimum hands on interface with the radio. When operating HF mobile in motion I am generally listening to a net which doesn't require much adjusting of the radio. Most of the time random contacts are made while stopped.
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »

>>>> The potential problem is that HF operating usually includes tuning and adjusting various other radio settings from time to time. <<<<

It is the RESPONSIBILITY of the Operator to negate that "Potential problem"
If one is operating HF Mobile, then I would assume that He or She has a valid drivers license, and is aware of the rules that governs it holder.
Simply put! If one is going to be engrossed in tuning the radio, then pull the darn vehicle over to the side of the road safely, or Wait till you pull off safely.

>>> When operating HF mobile in motion I am generally listening to a net which doesn't require much adjusting of the radio. <<<

As you so rightly said, Hf Mobile doesn't only means tuning around the freq.
One can sit on 7.195, 7.200, 7.238, 3.913, 3.916 or any of the various Rag Chew freq while going down the road on the Interstate and participate in the conversation
quite safely without distraction.

((((73)))) Milverton.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 07:45:42 AM »

The potential problem is that HF operating usually includes tuning and adjusting various other radio settings from time to time. 2M and CB are generally channelized operations that require minimum hands on interface with the radio. When operating HF mobile in motion I am generally listening to a net which doesn't require much adjusting of the radio. Most of the time random contacts are made while stopped.

I adjust only VFO and maybe volume or IF shift when mobiling and do not use a tuner. I can do this all without looking at it. I might glace at display for frequency readout or S meter on occasion. They being said how does it differ from a cell phone and texting which is a wide spread issue.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:33:12 AM »

It doesn't differ from cell phone or texting, both of which are illegal while driving in some locations. That's the point - the HF rig can be a distraction, depending on what you are doing.
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »

It doesn't differ from cell phone or texting, both of which are illegal while driving in some locations. That's the point - the HF rig can be a distraction, depending on what you are doing.

>>> That's the point - the HF rig can be a distraction, depending on what you are doing. <<<

If you are so easily distracted, I certainly hope that you do not use or listen to your AM / FM stereo while you are driving.

AGAIN! The "ONUS"  is on the Operator to focus on the task of driving safely.

BTW. How about telling you local LAW enforcement officer, that He/She should not be entering the tag of your vehicle in their computer
while they are following you going the highway! Because it's distracting.

((((73)))) Milverton.
WA9CFK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 01:42:26 PM »

The cautions about driving and operating the radio are certainly noted. I have been operating mobile for years but pulling a trailer is an altogether different activity.

Probably not going to do both for quite a while; I was thinking more about operating when my wife was driving. 
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »

You won't find it any different if you are easy with pulling a trailer.  just like the folks with the big rigs who run hf, 2m and even CB while driving, if they need to they just drop the mic and get back to driving. so yea, if you are comfortable driving a multi unit, then go for it.... Smiley  ( I do).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: