Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV station sugestions  (Read 3163 times)
N3IG

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2014, 04:53:04 AM »

I may be living in a motor home for an extended period of time and would like input from others that do on station set ups. I would like a base radio and want to know if other rv'ers have found room to do this. I know it would be easier to run a small mobile (ic-7000, 7100, 480sat etc.) but would like to hear from those that found a way and room to use FT-950, ic-7600 etc. without getting in the XYLs way.
     Antenna is not a consideration at this point since I will be stationary and can put up a wire.
     I should say it will probably be a class A motor home in the 35' range. Thanks
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:02:16 AM »

The Kenwood TS590 is a good transceiver with a smaller footprint than the Yaesu and Icom you mentioned.

Here in the UK we have drive on mast stands that will support a 20ft or 30ft pole easily enough especially if you guy it and they can be fabricated very easily.

http://www.tennamast.com/sites/default/files/uploaded/Tenna_0.jpg
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »

I would look into the yaesu ft 857, a small  unit with the matching ATAS 120a as a matching permenant antenna, using the roof of the RV as the ground plane, and then add your wires/verticles .what ever as the full size antennas.

Of course, you can use any rig for a base, and such, but this would be slick.
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:49:38 PM »

Avoid the ATAS 120 antenna! Read the reviews on them.  They have a high failure rate.  The Tarheel Jr is much better if a screwdriver antenna is what you want
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »

I have a FT-857D and the ATAS-120 and I have never had any problem with it  have had it for a year,and never had any problems  I have used both antennas,and never had any problems
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »

I would recommend a Kenwood of some variety because I'm a Kenwood fan.  You have the 12 volts available so that shouldn't be a problem.  As for how big the thing is, how much room it takes up, and who may object to it...  You are on your own!  I ain't getting in that dog fight!  Smiley
 - Paul
WA9CFK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »

Almost any small desk can serve as a "shack", but operating in a 32 ft. motorcoach without bothering the XYL is the hard part.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »

I have an ATAS 100 on the car and a ATAS 120 on the truck ( also a DK-3 on the truck) and Have not had a problem with any of them., I want to say the ATAS 100 or 120 screwdriver antenna is a compromise ( as is any small screwdriver antenna.) and a larger antenna will work better. BUT>>> I use the ATAS antennas on my vehicle because both cars have FT 857 radios in them and it gives you 1 button auto tune  which is great when mobile and driving.  On the truck I also have a Larger DK-3 screwdriver with a 66 inch whip and it really works much better, but I usually only use it while parked, as I need to look at the radio while tuning, not good while driving.  If I want to work 80 m mobile while driving, I stop, tune it up near where I want to operate, and then drive, so I do no tuning on the big guy while rolling.  so convienence for me ( an old disable vet) is worth the poorer reception, but usually the noise limits your mobile contacts while moving so the short antenna is  not all that bad.  If you stop and park you can use a plate you park your tire on, and then mount a 20 foot mast on it with a large screwdrive and some radials, or a tall multi band vertical , or even a small beam and rotor ( ma5b ?) so there is many ways to do it.

www.qrz.com/db/N6AJR

so think on it for a while then try something and let us know how it works, the try to make it better and keep us posted.  

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:26:36 PM by N6AJR » Logged
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 07:11:47 PM »

I would look into the yaesu ft 857, a small  unit with the matching ATAS 120a as a matching permenant antenna, using the roof of the RV as the ground plane, and then add your wires/verticles .what ever as the full size antennas.

Of course, you can use any rig for a base, and such, but this would be slick.

Does anyone read anymore?!!!!!!!

>>>>>  Antenna is not a consideration at this point since I will be stationary and can put up a wire.  <<<<<

Why is it the original post is so quickly "Morph" into something other than the original question.

In case the question has been forgotten, here is the original Question.

" would like to hear from those that found a way and room to use FT-950, ic-7600 etc. without getting in the XYLs way."

((((73)))) Milverton.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »

I guess mostly 'cuse I can.  Just an idea to make it convinent for moving and easy when parked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: