The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Closed" vs. "Private" repeaters?  (Read 4663 times)
W6UX

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »

I'm programming all of the repeaters I can find on RepeaterBook.com for counties I drive in.  There are many categorized as Private or Closed.  My understanding is that a Closed repeater is open to any ham that joins the repeater's membership, and that Private repeaters are basically "invite only".  Have I got that right?

Jeff

Jeff W6UX
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »

It depends.  Closed and private usually mean the same--hams who doesn't have permission are not permitted to use the machine.  If it's listed as closed, you have to get permission to use it.  If it's listed as private, don't even try to get permission--you won't. 

Clubs usually have repeaters where the machines can be used, but the additional features on the machine are reserved for members only.  They're not considered closed unless the club states so, and they usually don't, since that's where they get their new members.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »

I have no idea why any amateur would want a closed or private repeater.

However, they've been around a long time.

I'd avoid using every single one of them and would never intentionally use any of them or program them into memories.

There are too many "open" repeaters around with great coverage and little use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: