Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a TS-530S repaired  (Read 3316 times)
RACSW

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:45:04 AM »

Hello,
I have a Kenwood TS-530S that I purchased, and I think it was damaged in transit.
It receives fine, but does not transmit.
I live in Rochester, NY.

Can anyone recommend someone who has the experience and equipment necessary to repair this?
In town would be great, but I'm certainly willing to send it out to who ever can do this competently.
I've removed both top and bottom, see no loose parts, no smells, no obvious burned components, nothing wiggling around, in fact, I'm impressed with the overall HD quality of this radio when it was built.  It came with a Kenwood MC-50 Desk Mike, and that's all I have.  I hope it's ok, but I don't know.  I push the PTT, and the needle deflects left, instead of right, almost like there's a short or excessive current draw.

Thank you,
Robert    KD2FMA

AC2MM
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:59:29 AM »

I would not opt for repair right away. What happens when you use the stby switch for transmit?
Which position is the meter switch set to?
RACSW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »

It's set to Ip.
I called a fellow in CO that repairs these older Kenwoods, and he asked me to remove both cases, and remove the case around the RF cage, or Finals cage. See if there isn't any tubes that came loose, plus check the soldered connections that the tubes mount into.
He's about three weeks behind in radio repairs, so it would be awhile to get it back.
I'll let you know how i make out.

I know a switch isn't set wrong, the Manual was very well written, good photo's of what the meter should look like, position of every switch, etc.  It was pretty easy to follow.  But when I press the PTT, the meter swings left, almost like something is drawing current, instead of producing it.  The Antenna Tuner/Wattmeter doesn't budge.

Thanks.
Robert KD2FMA

AC2MM
RACSW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »

This day started out bad, but ended up very well :-)
Another embarrassing, but productive moment to add to my list of similar situations.

Well, the repair guy, Mike, was backed up but wanted to go through a few things before I decided to send it out and wait three weeks for him to start on it.  First, all the panels were removed and visually identified all three tubes were working.

Although I did follow the Kenwood instructions to the letter, they don't tell you that when you actually go to transmit, the Carrier (CAR) dial should be in the full Clockwise position. (I'm supposed to know that I suppose)  In the beginning, its fully counter-clockwise so as to not send a carrier while tuning.   I never played with it.  Once we rotated that, we had a functioning radio.
He went through the dipping and tuning procedure with me, while the MFJ Tuner was in the Dummy Load position.

And then we discovered something else, the Kenwood mike, although it was working electrically, had no audio output.
Cables connected, switch On. We were checking things, and I happened to look at the Mike cable pins, and they were identical, which meant they could be installed 180 out.  Not having a manual for this, we looked for two Red dots, lined them up, and now we had Audio.

So it's tuned up, putting out about 120 - 130 watts, and I don't have to send it out.
Mike was backed up with radios, but took 40 minutes of valuable time to help me out.   It's not been my experience that most people would do that.  That was an extremely nice thing for him to do.

I appreciate your responding to my request for help.   It got me thinking, one more time, it has to be me.  The owner said, and I believe him, that it was working when he sent it.  I truly did think the UPS guy damaged it when he simply let the box drop to the ground from his waist, because it was heavy.

So that's when I called Mike to see if he could help.

My thanks to you for trying to help me out.   I just received my General license a week ago, so I'm a freshly brewed Ham with a lot to learn ;-)

Robert  KD2FMA

AC2MM
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »

Well, I see you are getting acquainted to Murphy's Laws.
Good luck  Cool
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »

Hi,

The MC-50 mic can be set for low or hi impedance by using the dots on the mic connector.

Join other TS-5xx and 8xx hybrid fans

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TS-520_820_530_830/info

73 james
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:22:21 AM »

Robert:  I'm pleased to see that you have your 520 online without the need to send it in for repairs.

However, I suggest you double-check the settings of the MIC and CAR. controls.

I have the TS-830S which replaced the 520.  Both rigs are hybrid and I suspect that the driver and PA are quite similar.

On the 830S neither the MIC or the CAR. controls are set to the "maximum Clock-wise position.  It's very possible that on the 520 the Car. control should indeed be set to max. CW position and if this is the case, then go with the book. 

I just want you to double check this for proper operation of your fine old 520.  No doubt you will get many years of enjoyment with it.

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »

Robert:  I'm pleased to see that you have your 520 online without the need to send it in for repairs.

However, I suggest you double-check the settings of the MIC and CAR. controls.

I have the TS-830S which replaced the 520.  Both rigs are hybrid and I suspect that the driver and PA are quite similar.

On the 830S neither the MIC or the CAR. controls are set to the "maximum Clock-wise position.  It's very possible that on the 520 the Car. control should indeed be set to max. CW position and if this is the case, then go with the book. 

I just want you to double check this for proper operation of your fine old 520.  No doubt you will get many years of enjoyment with it.

The Car Control should be set for "mid-range" ALC reading. The Mic Control should be set for a Max of full scale ALC reading when talking into the mic. In SSB the peaks should not exceed the top of the ALC range, normal conversation it should be bouncing low to mid range.

Clif

PS. The 520 was replaced by the 530 and the 820 was replaced by the 830. They all 4 have tube drivers and finals which are almost identical.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: