Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CLif - TS-850 Noise Blanker mod  (Read 2328 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »

Clif,

Friend of mine purchased a stock TS-850. I have read about the NB mod removing the 2 SMD caps. Is this really an effective mod? I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. I hate taking those mod opinions as gospel.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »

Honestly I don't know. I have never done a "before and after" comparison. Don't know why, just haven't. I have done the mod a lot by request and never had anyone come back and say it didn't work. Conversely I've never had anyone say it did either.

I realize not the answer you were wanting but the best I can do. I do have a couple in here so I could do a comparison. Now my curiosity is up.

Clif
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »

Honestly I don't know. I have never done a "before and after" comparison. Don't know why, just haven't. I have done the mod a lot by request and never had anyone come back and say it didn't work. Conversely I've never had anyone say it did either.

I realize not the answer you were wanting but the best I can do. I do have a couple in here so I could do a comparison. Now my curiosity is up.

Clif

Do not bother. I just wanted to see if you had noticed. I just don't like hacking radios. Granted this is not a transmit or receive mod. 
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:51:09 AM »

The only thing I used to do (long time ago) to increase the NB and reduce "popping" was only in AM mode by adding a pair of Germanium Diodes back to back in-front of D32 (AM Detector). These diodes would clip anything above 3/10's VDC prior to being detected which resulted in super clean AM RX without clipping the audio at the same time. This mod worked really great in the old Yaesu FT-107M radios.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »

The only thing I used to do (long time ago) to increase the NB and reduce "popping" was only in AM mode by adding a pair of Germanium Diodes back to back in-front of D32 (AM Detector). These diodes would clip anything above 3/10's VDC prior to being detected which resulted in super clean AM RX without clipping the audio at the same time. This mod worked really great in the old Yaesu FT-107M radios.

I will ask him, but pretty sure he don't do AM.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 06:48:13 PM »

Having owned and worked on five 850's, I can tell you the mod did work.  Prior to the mod, you couldn't tell the NB was even on. After removing the two caps the NB worked as it should.

Max
VE3TMT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: