Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAM Radio IS Dead in Los Angeles  (Read 18341 times)
W6TLY

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »

I know this one comes up from time to time, but it is true, it really is dead in LA, and for that matter most places.  There are more repeaters in LA than most states have.  There are several very high level ones, stuff from 6m FM to 1.2gig FM, linked systems, "private" systems, D-STAR systems, and on and on.

But, listen around, 90% of these systems get about 15min of use in a 24hr period.  The ones that get more are often full of... "oh yea, I got this new gun, and the Govt. wants to take it way from me....", or ".... that President of ours....", or "....yea, well I was running 1200w PEP into my 50 element yagi up 300 feet using 9913 and type N connectors, plus a pre-amp and gold plated cavities, and carbon fiber spreaders and was only getting an SWR of 1:1.2, my rotater was really spinning once I put some marine grease on the bearings, and then when I coupled my home-brew co-phase loop into the flux capacitor and keyed down, you should have seen the neighbors cat jump."
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »

Dunno about your local repeaters... HF is alive and well  Wink
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »

I agree.  HF is "where it's at".
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:43:08 AM »

But, listen around, 90% of these systems get about 15min of use in a 24hr period.

Then ham radio is dead in Fort Worth too, because it's the same situation here - most repeaters are hardly used at all.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 05:03:57 AM »

Although I do not always monitor the repeaters in this area (St. Thomas-London, Ontario) when I do I rarely hear any conversations.

HF is where I spend my days. And I rarely hear any local hams operating on those bands.
Hey maybe I am lucky, I have the bands all to myself in this area  Grin
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:21:58 AM »

What's a repeater?
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »

My local repeater is lucky if it gets more use as a repeater than as a beacon automatically sending its callsign every 15 minutes or so.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 07:42:33 AM »

What's a repeater?

LOL.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 07:42:54 AM »

Re: W8GP

Repeater?? A rifle of various calibers able to fire 5-7 shells without reloading. One of the things W6TLY heard the boys talking about on the LA uhf/vhf frequencies.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 07:57:53 AM »

What's a repeater?

Funny answers aside, was that a serious question?
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 08:22:44 AM »

Ithink what killed repeaters  is   tone control.. lIt used to be fun to talk to people freomall over the place
on 2 meters.   .82  wausau  82 rochester  82 mpls.. all open..often  using  82 wausau as input.. rochester
hams hearing it and using there  input which I could hear.
ONe night about  0200 there were about 20 hams on 82  from  the  UP to St Louis  all on a big round table,.
Then the repeaters all got    ''toned up'  to make  them like a local police department, reserved for the locals only.
Nowthe fun of contacts all over like   HF  is gone..
Lets try and experiment  and  remove tone from all repeaters and see what  happens.

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »

>> ... dead in L.A. ...

Repeater conversations and "personalities" are like about any other "club" environment. You need to visit a few
until you find one that fits YOU well.

I post a little list of 80 or so systems in and around Southern CA that I have found to be welcoming of new users - from
new licensees to us jaded oldsters. Try a few of the systems here ...

http://k6lcs.com/k6lcs/Docs.html

Clint K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 12:36:46 PM »

The other year, on vacation around Albuquerque, I couldn't get into  the repeater or the morning net. Why? The repeater wasn't in the ARRL directory and there was no info on the sub-audible tone frequency needed for access.

At least here, repeater ID contains the sub-audible tone frequency needed for access.

They are real friendly to visitors in New Mexico......
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 01:11:54 PM »

>> ... The repeater wasn't in the ARRL directory ...

ENTIRELY the club's fault, of course. If they do not submit their info to repeater guide editors, they cannot expect to get published.

The ARRL has made it painless for repeater owners to add their info to the ARRL Guide -

http://www.arrl.org/repeaters

... so there's really no excuse for a system that WANTS to be used NOT to be included!

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »

Ham radio is a heck of a lot more than a repeater. On HF I hear stations active 24/7 so "ham radio" is not dead.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: