Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADVISE FOR FIRST TIME ----  (Read 3209 times)
KB1BZR

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:36:31 PM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh

A broad question but I want to purchase something when I have the money. (antenna)

By somebodies experience the best mobile antenna ??

I can't operate anything where I am living and to make some simple contacts I think I might have to go mobile.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »

What bands?
What type of vehicle?
Available budget?
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 02:23:24 AM »

I like all bands especially the low ones. 160 ? 75/80 ??  There used to be nets on 75/160 or maybe still are that would get check-ins from mobiles that sometimes actually performed quite well but of coarse no interference. (exchange reports/guess ?)

Obviously the higher the band the more efficiency. 10/12/15/18/20  ??

These living spaces with no antennas sure are the ______________. Figure out something for receive and probably noise noise.

If you have a car maybe one can just get away and work some at least domestic stuff mobile.

Car ? Every different one matters ? 

I was never one for factory style antennas (cb radio?) but for a mobile antenna on a car ..............................(homebrew ?)
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:28:00 AM »

I know the question is almost too broad.

How about a set-up that was fast/easy ?  I decide to find a place to go and park the car and operate for 3 hours. (Huh)
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:50:30 AM »

Drive on stand, longest carp pole or mast you can find to go into it and use it to support a dipole in inverted V configuration.

To get even mediocre performance on 75/80 and top band with a mobile antenna you're going to be spending a lot of money and doing a lot of work to get even 3% efficiency.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »

Easy way would be an FT857d all band all mode radio ( 2m/440/6-160 m) and an ATAS 120 antenna, which autotunes with the ft 857 automatically, so lots of bands and easy install/ use and you can still hook it to a large external antenna on a pole if need be.  Not the best antenna in the world, but convenient. 1 radio, 1 mount, 1 antenna, a piece of coax and you are there.

You could also use something like a large screwdriver antenna ( like a scorpion, or a DK-3 ) or a mast mount with several hustler resonator tips on it.

And you can also mount a screwdriver to a metal patio railing or in the attic with a decent radial ground plane and do it from home.  lots of ways to go, find  a local club and check it all out.
WA9CFK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:58:29 PM »

I used a Yaesu 747 and the Hustler mobile antenna with the plug in coils mounted on the bumper of my pick up for years.

17 meters was my favorite band in the daytime, 40 meters was also good. 80 meters in the evening.

You will not work a lot of DX (some on 17 m) but there are plenty to folks to talk to.

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »

I used a Yaesu 747 and the Hustler mobile antenna with the plug in coils mounted on the bumper of my pick up for years.

17 meters was my favorite band in the daytime, 40 meters was also good. 80 meters in the evening.

You will not work a lot of DX

Mounted where yours is you won't as it has to be pretty much the worst place to mount an antenna. Mine is on the roof of my car, the car has had all the bonding done and I work DX every day I operate HF mobile and plenty of it. Barefoot I work the USA almost like local and always seem to get "I can't believe you're mobile" reports. I manage Australia from the UK on a regular basis.

Mounting an antenna on a bumper is pretty much a "setting fire to your money" antenna installation.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 08:07:02 AM »

OP: The type of vehicle matters because some vehicles limit where you can mount an antenna. For example, an HF screwdriver antenna mounted low on a minivan is not such a good idea however it can perform quite well mounted on the bed of a pickup truck. A 2M/440 whip mounted on the roof of a vehicle with a fiberglass top is not going to work very well but that location is ideal for a vehicle with a metal roof.

If you don't have to operate while in motion that opens up a world of possible more efficient antennas, especially on the lower bands because you don't have to limit the antenna size so much. Depending on your situation, you might even be able to put a large antenna on the vehicle while it is parked in your driveway and run a coax into the house and operate from inside.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »

Look at how I did my truck on my qrz page , and also my car. I use a  trunk lip mount on the car with a screwdriver antenna ( atas 120 ), and it does OK, but the larger DK-3 on the truck works much better and can do 80 m.  I actually had a huge coil ( from BB 3 / Knott industries) that will do 160 mobile.  not great but good from a hill top . so do what you can , check out Alans page (k0bg) and google ham radio mobile and see what shows up.  there are as many ways to do mobile as there are hams, but it is really a lot of fun.
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 03:21:53 PM »

Thanks all. I will snoop at the replies more upcoming. I knew the mobile question would sort of bring out 'what works best for you. etc.

I'm just itching to get on the air and -----------   VHF /UHF I never hear much in this area. (for just repeater talk)

Landlords do not like antennas. (well---I guess some must) Next I have to figure out how to get something radiating from the house.  Anybody know how much wattage some simple phone wire can handle ? 4 small solid copper wires. (??)  Where I am at there seems an excess of old phone lines around the place  dead/alive  and maybe such would not attract a bunch of attention.

This stupid house has permanent screens/storm windows so that is another oddity. Do not such alter transmitted radio waves ?

Toss wires out the windows but what frequencies are open in the day time ? Where somebody might not see something at night--- days ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: