Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coax splitter switches  (Read 2328 times)
KD4OMR

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:09:33 AM »

Can anyone tell me if Daiwa (Or any other manufacturer) makes a 2 input/one output switch capable of handling VHF/UHF. I am purchasing their CS-201A single input dual output switch, but I also need the single input single output switch.
Regards,
Walter KD4OMR
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:44:02 AM »

....use the same switch except reverse it.....use the outputs for your inputs....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:17:39 AM »

You've got to be careful, though.  If you get a switch that grounds all but the active (switched to) connection and use it to switch either of two transceivers to a common co-ax, you're effectively grounding the transmitter output of the non-connected transceiver, and if you key the transmitter, you could end up with fried finals in that transceiver.

Better if you get a switch that does NOT ground the connection that is not selected when feeding a single antenna connection. 
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:53:55 AM »

momentary transmitting into an  open circuit is not a big deal, where transmitting into a short
would be.   but  a long  ''tune up'  inot an  open circuit  wouldnt be good either...
but then  not much is  ''idiot proof.""
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »

The Alpha-Delta switches like the "Delta 2" do not ground the unused port, so would be safe either way.

I've had Daiwa switches fail completely and tossed the three I've owned.
KD4OMR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 02:17:00 AM »

TNX to all that responded to my question about coax splitters.
Walter KD4OMR
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:55:48 AM »

You've got to be careful, though.  If you get a switch that grounds all but the active (switched to) connection and use it to switch either of two transceivers to a common co-ax, you're effectively grounding the transmitter output of the non-connected transceiver, and if you key the transmitter, you could end up with fried finals in that transceiver.

Better if you get a switch that does NOT ground the connection that is not selected when feeding a single antenna connection. 

And keying up into a switch that has an ungrounded coax leading to an unprotected radio is the recipe for a fried front end on the un-used radio. Better to ground the un-used port. My opinion.

Clif
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 07:26:37 AM »

What you really need is a transfer switch. That way, the rig not in use can be terminated in a dummy load.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »

And keying up into a switch that has an ungrounded coax leading to an unprotected radio is the recipe for a fried front end on the un-used radio. Better to ground the un-used port. My opinion.

In other words, every time that happens, you're going to fry a front end?  You should have said a possibility of a fried front end.

In essence, any sort of a switched arrangement for antenna connections on a transmitter is a recipe for some sort of possible damage to a rig.  Any sort of arrangement like that should also have a switching arrangement for the power as well, but it's assumed that amateurs would have the sense to know what they're doing....
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 07:57:57 PM »

In other words, every time that happens, you're going to fry a front end?  You should have said a possibility of a fried front end.

I did not say every time, I said it's a recipe for it to happen. Not all recipes turn out.

Sheesh, I'm thru...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 02:13:30 AM »

Sorry 'bout that...  Had one of those moments yesterday morning, and didn't see the intent behind the words.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »

With a transfer switch, you can't get a tx seeing an open or a short or the other rx front end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: