Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need some help with my blog  (Read 2966 times)
KC7BYP

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »

I have a blog up and running at    http://steveshamshack.com    and a web page at   kc7byp.tripod.com/index.html‎  .  Neither one is going anywere.  I have been posting and so far there has been 765 visits  on the counter in the blog.  And 1 negative comment. Google adsense hasn't made me 1 penny yet.   I am a repair tech.  I have an AA degree in electronics, 2 way radio, tv, vcr and computer repair.  But even with my learning disabiltys I made it through electronics school.  This challenge of doing a blog and a web page is proving to be  tougher than the problems I had in passing the 5wpm morse code for my novice license way back when.   I could use some help please to draw in more traffic.   I am about a nat's hair from just throwing in the towel.

Steve kc7byp 

G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »

It sounds from your post that your interest is in making money from the visits.

I also have a bloghttp://g7mrv.blogspot.co.uk/  in fact I have several. Only one has adsense enabled on it, and that hasnt earnt anything at all. I only enabled it to see what it was about and how it worked (thats a blog concerning a photographic archive of local war graves).

I blog for fun. Its where I put my musings, thoughts and results of experiments and projects. I have a few comments. But I dont care, its just my ramblings.

Unless your a journalist, or your selling something, dont expect to make any money. If thats your aim, it will come across in your writing.

Ive had a look at your blog, and a few things occur to me - Firstly, It isnt immediately obvious where the blog is! It took me a while to see the little tab. Compare with my blog, which goes straight to the posts. Next, your text to me reads as if you are giving a lecture! It doesnt read how I would expect you to talk about the subject if we were face to face over a beer or coffee. I prefer to read blogs that sound more natural.

Third, and perhaps most important, it seems you have only six postings? My radio blog is over a hundred, over several years, and I still have only a few readers and a couple of comments (one of which was spam!)

Remember, there are millions of blogs, thousands of them ham radio! I only read three other blogs regularly. Keep at it, but write as if you were just chatting, and dont expect to make any money!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:10:39 PM by G7MRV » Logged

G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »

Forgot to add - Adsense will earn money by the clicks or views of others on the ads run by google alongside your blog. I have just been all around your blog and website and there is not a single ad for anything! You wont earn anything if there are no ads to click on! Go back to your adsense account and ensure the ads are selected and running. Its possible it isnt active as you dont yet have enough content for the engine to select ads based on.

Also, If you want comments, then allow commenting without having to log in!

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »

Your website fails to load. You will not get much traffic if that is happening.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:42:38 PM »

>> ... This Is my 1st time out doing a blog so pardon me if this blog looks a bit funky.  I am still learning how to use WordPress.

Lost my interest in less than 10 seconds. THAT IS ALL THE TIME YOU HAVE to grab someone's attention. And what is there is absolutely boring.

It needs to reflect YOU. YOUR personality. What YOU are doing. Not what someone else told you to do. Not a "How do I work this Wordpress thingie?"

Snippets of customer interaction. Your search for that weird part for a repair. Working with other local businesses ... SOMETHING to make it "YOU!"

Oh - and no one with a "tripod" Web site is taken seriously for anything. GoDaddy has a WebSitebuilder for a buck a month that is more porfessional looking than anything Tripod has ever published.

MAKE IT "YOU" - and they will come.

Clint K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
http://www.work-sat.com
http://www.hamradioprogramming.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KC7BYP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 02:47:54 AM »

Think you all. This is the kind of feed back that I was looking for. This is my 1st time out on doing anything like a blog.   The guy that got me started blogging keeps filling me with pep talks on how this will make me money over time but never takes the time to explain how to do it in detail.  Like layout, looks or anything else. All I am out is around 40 dollars and change for 2 domain names.   You say about my postings " Next, your text to me reads as if you are giving a lecture! It doesnt read how I would expect you to talk about the subject if we were face to face over a beer or coffee. I prefer to read blogs that sound more natural."  I am not a  journalist or a writer I am a fixer, I fix things.  As to writing I do the best I can with what I have to work with.  in fact with my disability's that I was born with, my grammar and spelling stinks and it shows.  Any important papers that I need to work on my roommate helps me with the spelling and grammar.  I have looked at my blog from a different ip address and the blog comes up just fine and the Adsense ad's are running.  About the "Also, If you want comments, then allow commenting without having to log in!"  I put that in because I was getting spam garbage comments.  If there is an other way to fillter out the spam garbage comments I am all ears.  Also I had Tripod up and going. I figured it is free why not make use of it.
For years I have been looking for something that I could do online to get a few extra bucks in my pocket.  But everything I have looked at 1. wants too much money to start it. 2. to messy to do in an apt. 3. is an out right scam.  I live on SSDI disability. 

STEVE

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 05:24:10 AM »

... This challenge of doing a blog and a web page is proving to be  tougher ...   I could use some help please to draw in more traffic.   I am about a nat's hair from just throwing in the towel.

Don't give up, Steve.

I was once where you are now. I was working in a factory, but I quit and since 1998 we now make our living from the Internet from home, and right now we have more business than we can keep up with. You can get there too. You just need to learn and persist.

I learned a lot of important stuff years ago at searchenginewatch.com back when Danny Sullivan owned it. I don't know if it's still as good as it was.

Another good resource is Google. They have valuable info (somewhere) for webmasters that explains how to get a good rank (in the first ten hits) in a search. And that's where we are now and that's how most of our customers find us. We don't pay a penny in advertising and I haven't paid for info or help in years.

Start a Facebook page and Twitter account. I can't tell you how to do that. You'll have to spend time on Google searching and learning about that. It'll take a long time, but it'll pass.

There are three things that people search for: information, information, and information. If your web site doesn't have that, you are likely wasting your time. A local mom & pop computer business pays his home mortgage from the income he receives from Adsense, because he has lots of unique info in one place.

My web sites aren't pretty, but they draw enough business for my wife and I to make a living. When one business got slow, I started another one; but when the first business picked up again, I had to put a notice on the second web site that 'we are currently not taking any orders'. I also had to hire two part-time high school students and train them to help. That's a good problem to have. :-)

As for your grammar, well, there are automatic grammar checkers. And there are people who will help if you just ask.

I use a WSIWYG editor for some sites, and a free content management system (OsCommerce) for one. It "plugs into" our credit card processor as well as UPS and USPS to display shipping costs before the customer buys.

I wish I had more time, but I have to get back to work. Keep at it. Do research. Google is your friend.

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »

>> ... I am not a  journalist or a writer ...

WE DON'T EXPECT YOU TO BE ONE! We DO expect proper grammar and language usage ... But the best personal blogs are those whose owners' personalities shine through.

Monetize a blog? Be careful. Find a couple vendors and maybe set up "relationships" with them for clients who come through your blog (associate accounts). But be completely up front with your audience. "Hey, you see that new ad for ifixit.com ... or that new screen vendor ... - well, I use them, and you should too. By the way, if you click through their ad, I get 3% to help maintain the site ... " Just be honest.

ALSO - as you relate stories about your repair biz, make sure you do not accidentally insult anyone. Although the Web is world-wide in scope, if you were to relate that story about that guy who spilled expresso on his laptop in any "embarassing" way, you KNOW that customer might see it on your blog, be embarrassed (even though you never cite names), and bad mouth you to others. It's all relationship selling ...

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »

Hi,

How about a website that can generate customers for your repair skills?

73 james
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:36:57 AM »

>> ... How about a website that can generate customers for your repair skills?

YES! Customer testimonials! Don't be shy ... if you see that a customer is delighted, ask him or her to write
on your blog ...

And I hope you've already opened a VistaPrint.com account and had some "10 per cent off" coupons made up ...

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KC7BYP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 04:23:05 AM »

As far as doing any repairs right now goes.  I live in an Apartment. I live with very close friends of mine. My small bedroom is my radio/computer office.  My apt manager has been nice enough to let me string about 50' of #20 solid copper wire for a hf antenna out my window and I have out the window a home made 2m/70cm  j-pole antenna mounted on the end of a 3' long by 2 by 2" hunk of scrap wood that is screwed into the window sill.  I am almost done fixing a Yeasu ft-101e that I picked up cheap and get an antenna tuner. Then try to figure out some kind of a counter poise for the wire antenna.  Besides making a mess on the rug from the little fixing I do.  I can't do any soldering when Arlene is home.  The smell and smoke from the soldering sets her asthma off.

Clint can you please elaborate on on what you said below

>> Monetize a blog? Be careful. Find a couple vendors and maybe set up "relationships" with them for clients who come through your blog (associate accounts). But be completely up front with your audience. "Hey, you see that new ad for ifixit.com ... or that new screen vendor ... - well, I use them, and you should too. By the way, if you click through their ad, I get 3% to help maintain the site ... " Just be honest.

Quoting your statement " WE DON'T EXPECT YOU TO BE ONE! We DO expect proper grammar and language usage ...the best personal blogs are those whose owners' personalities shine through."  I don't know of any other way to write then the way I do. I was never taught to write as if we were face to face over a beer or coffee.

K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »

Steve,

This is a very tricky subject. There are many people with very definite opinions about web pages and blogs. So what follows is simply my outlook. If someone feels differently, that's OK.

I have had a web site for about 10 years now. Like you, I started with only buying a domain name and using free web sites. What I learned was that free web sites are a complete waste of time. But I did learn some things. I started before Google had all that Analytics stuff and found that, all that google stuff is unnecessary. If you have something to offer, your site will be found. Maybe the Google stuff will speed it along a little, but it will be found without it.

So how do you get found? You get found by including a link to your blog and web site in everything you post to the internet. Your sites are listed in your original posting, but why doesn't your signature list your links? Web crawlers continuously search all of the discussion groups. If the crawler comes across a web site link, it indexes it. If it starts to show up a lot, then it gets a higher ranking and starts to turn up on targeted web searches. Get the links to your blog and web site out there.

I delt with free web sites for several years, before I decided to go with paid hosting. It cost a bit of money each year, but it is well worth it. I don't have any ads on the site and I don't expect to make a dime. I have all of my domains and web sites with Godaddy. Some users don't like them but their prices are good and their offerings are unbeatable. Of course, they are always pushing extra goodies that they feel you should have. But they are always at a price. If your not careful you could really run up your bill.

Your right, 765 visits is small. But it's a blog. Personally, I never read blogs unless there is something of real interest, like a project description. I looked at your web site as well, but there really isn't anything there. If you expect to make any money at all, you need content. My web site gets that many visits in a single day and it's been at that rate for several years. Granted, some of those visits are web crawlers, and the like, but that's OK. The more they crawl around the better you show up on searches.

Unless you really enjoy blogging, and don't expect any real monetary compensation from it, I say do away with the blog and concentrate on your web site. You can go back to a blog later. Then get some content on your web site. Give users something to read about or learn about. Your QRZ bio says something about buying up old computers and refurbishing them. Why not put some pages out there on that. There are a lot of ham operators that would like to know how to bring and old computer back to life and use it for digital modes (PSK31, RTTY, even CW). You may not know everything on the subject, but you can learn.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
KC7BYP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 01:22:37 AM »

Martin.  I made some changes to the blog.  I changed the  signature file here and as I go onto each site I will add the link to the  signature file. I am going to add the link to the  signature file in my email reader/writer prog.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:25:21 AM by KC7BYP » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: