Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT102 v FT102S  (Read 7114 times)
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 03:10:45 PM »

Thanks for all the info Peter.

Was hoping to have it here tonight, but our son who was collecting and bringing it up from Auckland, has taken a tumble, and possibly broken his wrist, idiot, anyway he may get here over the weekend so will get it then.

The main purpose for the Ft102 will be 20m cw contesting, full stop. Never ever had much of an interest in the other bands, narrow minded I know.

But for general chatter I still have the drake's so will probably dedicate the B line to 80 and 160.

Might (one day) get round to doing the mods on the C line then that can go back on the bench.

My application to the government to un-retire has been unsuccessful, as they reckon I did not work hard enough before retirement, so have to keep going  Cheesy

Ah well, another sunny day here is north ZL, so better cut the grass and finish off trimming the bushes along the drive in, then can get on with my 80m GP mast, that will hold up one end of the G5RV  for 20.

Still got to get the masts up for the 204BA and 3 ele Telrex, but tht will be next year now.

Take care.

Tony G3ZRJ will fall off his chair when he hears about the Ft102  Smiley

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »

Smiley Smiley :)Got it home last night.

s/n is 3J 090xxx

looks pretty clean inside, it has a 600Hz  8.2 Yaesu CW filter installed.

Label on the back says 100 volts AC, so maybe from JA??

Front panel says FT102S

It also had a genuine yaesu hand mic with it, so a bonus of sorts.

QRL over the next few days, but will report back as time goes on.

Probably after the hernia repair from moving it, geez its real heavy.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 03:59:47 PM »

Yes.  Japan is only country, that I am aware of, using 100 VAC for residential voltage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

Japan uses an AC power plug compliant with: JIS C 8303 standard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#JIS_C_8303.2C_Class_II_unearthed

You may wish to investigate a higher tap on transformer, if available.

G-WHIP has the original Yaesu FT-102 120/240 VAC transformer in the UK.
http://www.gwhip.co.uk/radiospares.htm
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:08:44 PM by W9GB » Logged
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »

I am hoping that is has a multi tap transformer, but if not I have a couple of auto transformers, actually just thought including a massive 3kw torodial one that I got to rewind as a filament transformer.

Will get the bottom cover off after I have been to gym for weight training  Grin
Cheers Gavin

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 12:18:25 AM »

The FT102 is a light transceiver - only weighs 33 pounds.  Now if you were talking about an Atalanta or an AR88, I might agree about the hernia inducing properties......

The transformer should have taps for the range 100 to 234 volts supply.

Good it has a 600Hz filter.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 05:39:19 AM »

Many moon ago I picked up a JVC S-VHS duplicator from eBay that went cheap because of the same issue... 100 volts, 50-60 Hz on the label. It's a commercial grade beastie with the brand name " Victor ", front and rear panels are labeled in English while some of the stickers inside are definitely JA domestic. Next to the power transformer I found a small PC board with three solder pads labeled " 0 - 100 - 120 " in sequence. A white wire from the power connector was soldered to the 0 hole, a black wire from the power switch was connected to the 100 hole.

Complete no-brainer.    Moved the black wire to the 120 hole.     Works like a hose.

Never change a password on a Friday                
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »

The FT102 operators manual has a pretty picture of where the wires go.....I have reason to believe that it is correct in this respect, unlike the circuit diagrams!
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 11:42:15 PM »

Hi All,

Well got it home, after a transport hiccup, but its safe n sound on the bench.

Checked the transformer and true enough the label said 100 volts AC, opened up the base and the transformer was tapped onto 23 volts so that was easy.  Brought it back to life with a Variac over a couple of evenings.

It does have a problem with the TR relay, and G whip are out of stock for a few weeks. It looks like the relays have already been changed once, to the clear top ones.

What do you all think about as a temporary measure.... drilling a very small hole in the top of the clear plastic relay cover, and giving it a good soak with some contact cleaner?

Thanks all.

KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 04:00:24 AM »

The FT102 is a light transceiver - only weighs 33 pounds.  Now if you were talking about an Atalanta or an AR88, I might agree about the hernia inducing properties......

So true ! I just moved the  RCA AR-88 last night , it has a way of reminding you what the term means .  Wink
Ironic to see the term used on Yaesus when it was the appearance of the lightweight appliances that actually gave rise to disparagingly calling the old BIG RADIOS "boat anchors" .

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 04:57:09 AM »

Quote from: ZL1BBW
What do you all think about as a temporary measure.... drilling a very small hole in the top of the clear plastic relay cover, and giving it a good soak with some contact cleaner?

Not effective in resolving issue. 
It does insert a volatile solution in an electrical area that can produce spark.  Think about that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:59:29 AM by W9GB » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »

Not sure about the FT-102's specific relays but speaking broadly... if it is a clear plastic cover "ice cube relay"... chances are the cover can be popped off (held on by tabs). Contacts are most effectively cleaned by dragging a strip of paper through the closed contacts.

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 06:57:36 AM »

BTW, absolutely NO REASON to "Reinvent The Wheel" regarding Yaesu FT-102 relays.

Fox-Tango FT-102 HF Transceiver Page (C.L. Maher, W4CLM)
http://foxtango.org/FT-102/FT-102%20Page.htm

FT-102 Service Manual, Circuit Board Descriptions and Trouble shooting Tips
Compiled by Wim Penders, PA0PGA &  C.L Maher, W4CLM
http://foxtango.org/FT-102/FT-102%20Circuit%20Boards.htm

Installing those new relays in your Yaesu FT-102
Mal's modification of a 14-pin IC socket is clean install/replacement of RL02
http://foxtango.org/FT-102/FT-102%20Relay%20Install.htm

Mal Eiselman, NC4L repairs and restoration advice for Yaesu FT-102
Mal established the baseline for FT-102 restoration and repairs.
http://www.w8kvk.com/nc4l/

Stated concerns by Mal, NC4L of EB5AGV approach to RL02 relay replacement.
http://w8kvk.com/nc4l/page6/page6.php
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:10:03 AM by W9GB » Logged
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 01:08:06 PM »

W9GB, absolutely I have all of that information.  The only thing I do not have is the relays and they are not available for several weeks.  So what I was seeking is a temporary work around fix.

AS for introducing a volatile fluid into a situation where it could produce a spark, that is the case  every time cc fluid is used, probably millions of times a day.

Anyway thanks.  Might solve the problem we have good insurance... Smiley Smiley Smiley

ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »

Not sure about the FT-102's specific relays but speaking broadly... if it is a clear plastic cover "ice cube relay"... chances are the cover can be popped off (held on by tabs). Contacts are most effectively cleaned by dragging a strip of paper through the closed contacts.

Thanks, I had a horrible feeling the plastic cover was glued on, anyway, clicked it off, at a distance like the song.  Have given it a good spray and that has eased the problem. The good thing is that it has proved to me that the relay is the problem, a press on one side, brings the RX up incredibly.

So thank,  Next trick will aiming a very narrow piece of cc soaked paper between the gap.

The thing about flammable, well yes, the """best"" trick I have seen was someone try to ""cure"" a EHT flashover track bu spraying WD40 into the track while the EHT was on, better than 5 november Shocked

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: