About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI?  (Read 3292 times)
KC2FZN

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »

I'm operating JT65 with a kenwood 450 into a signalink and the antenna is a OCF diapole fed with coax at 35 feet. When Jt65 transmits on the 20 meter band my computer screen locks up and there is a steady tone emitting from the motherboard. All other bands are fine using JT65. This has just occured withing the last month. I have been operating on the 20 meter band with jt65 for the past two years with no problems. When setting the power output with the signalink as little as 5 to 10 watts out causes this problem. Any suggestions and solutions will be appreciated.
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

......try moving some wires around in the shack, particularly anything that is near the coax.  Also, check SWR.  Add more ferrites to the computer input(s)
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:14:41 AM »

K3LRH gave you some good advice.  You also might want to make sure your rig is well grounded to your computer with as short a lead as possible.  Also try installing snap on-ferrite RFI filters on ALL leads coming into and from your computer and your digital interface unit.  Checking SWR is also a good idea since RF may be present on the outside of your coax.  The main thing is not to give up but to keep trying different things. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: