About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT 857  (Read 4732 times)
WY1C

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »

I have a ft-857 that i just bought, it came with the separation kit, but didnt include the small cable for the head to body, I tried a 6pin phone patch cable but no luck, anybody know what i could use?
Thanks
WY1C
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »

If the unit was new, it should have had the cable included. In any case, the separation cable, by itself, is available from Yaesu's parts department.

N3IG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »

If the phone plug is too small then a ethernet cable will probably work as they use slightly larger connectors.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:02:25 AM »

As above. Try it with a straight through network cable from a computer.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »

It's not really a Sep kit, then, is it?
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 04:17:10 PM »

You do not need a straight through cable.The wiring has to be reversed on one end.
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »

It's not really a Sep kit, then, is it?

Useless comment.

W5EDF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »

I just looked at the cable for the unit to control unit.  Mine looks to be a 6 pin straight though cable RJ-11 style.   The mic cable is just a straight through RJ45.

You do not need a straight through cable.The wiring has to be reversed on one end.
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »

I just looked at the cable for the unit to control unit.  Mine looks to be a 6 pin straight though cable RJ-11 style.   The mic cable is just a straight through RJ45.

Sorry. Just checked my control head to radio cable. I was thinking that when installing the ends one connector has to be flipped over in order to keep the same color code from left to right the same on both ends.If you hold both ends side by side with the lock tabs down the color code should be the same from left to right.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »

It's actually an RJ-12 6 conductor jumper. Sort of difficult to find in the 6" - 8" length that will stow behind the control head. Easy to build if you have access to a crimper for that connector.
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »

It's actually an RJ-12 6 conductor jumper. Sort of difficult to find in the 6" - 8" length that will stow behind the control head. Easy to build if you have access to a crimper for that connector.

Exactly. I picked up a crimper that does 4,6, and 8 pin connectors. I use the stock cable when the radio is all in one piece and made up a custom length for when it is installed in the vehicle as the cable in the separation kit was far too long for convenience.
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 05:08:29 AM »

I Just got my 847 on Friday, that short cable was included with the radio with one end connected to the radio the other end free.

I suggest you call the dealer to get one.

It uses all conductors so a telephone cable would not work but if you find a telephone truck if you ask nicely they can make you up one in just a few seconds.

Just tell them you need all conductors and that it is not for telephone. They may make it out of a different type wire but will work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: