Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW Website is crashed  (Read 4034 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 07:15:59 AM »

So EQSL far outweighed LOTW for confirmed QSO's.

Go figure!
I have about 71% response rate for eQSL, vs. 50% for LOTW.  I think the primary reason for the difference is non-use of LOTW by non-US hams.  A second reason is the difficulty of setting LOTW up, versus eQSL. 

Basil
KE5GAE

Actually the difference is in how the contacts are made. As I posted above, I have several WAS awards but I don't even qualify for the eQSL equivalent. The same is true with DXCC. I have 131 confirmed DX contacts with LoTW but only 108 with eQSL, so this dispels the myth that DX operators don't use LoTW.

So why do I have more LotW confirmations (and awards) than with eQSL? Contesting! With 100 watts and a vertical, I am not a "serious" contester, at least not in terms of actually winning a contest. But OTOH, most of my confirmations come from contacts made during a contest, both domestic and DX. Especially now that LoTW will accept Cabrillo log submissions is another reason contesters prefer it over eQSL (IMHO).

So I think in general. contesters tend to be more concerned with confirming their contacts than "casual" operators do. I know a lot of people dislike contests because they think there are too many of them (which is another myth, but we won't go there), but you (not you specifically, but "you" meaning those people who say they dislike contests) might dip their toes in the water during a contest if for no other reason than to bolster your confirmation rate.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 05:41:03 AM »

And ARRL "confirmations" aren't good for any eQSL awards.   Wink

Who cares about those?  Wink

OK I have to say it...  If I have to print my own award, it looses some of the coolness of that award... 

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »

And ARRL "confirmations" aren't good for any eQSL awards.   Wink

Who cares about those?  Wink

OK I have to say it...  If I have to print my own award, it looses some of the coolness of that award... 

What difference does it make? Lets say the ARRL awarded you WAS 40 Meters. Instead of paying them $15 for the printed award they just send you a jpeg of the award and you print it.

Same award, different printer!

Ham radio offers many different rewards and not all of them come on a piece of paper with the ARRL logo on it.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »

My hit rate with LOTW is 49+ percent versus 23+ percent with eQSL. Mostly contest contacts, so that might be why. Have noticed that just recently a bunch of stations have come on to LOTW and I have received QSL from multiple years and gong back 4 or 5 years.

I think that its hit rate has also exceded the hit rate on my paper QSLs, even from the days when paper was the only way.

KF7CG
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: