Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some ideas  (Read 1390 times)
K5EFJ

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:36:23 AM »

I have an Accura Integra that I would like to install a Kenwood 281 into.  There is no real space like in the older vehicles or SUVs.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to how and WHERE to mount the radio.  I could take out the AM/FM but do like to listen to it too.  I've also thought of velcro on the dash but that would look really tacky but has the benefit of easy removal.   Thoughts?  Thanks.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 06:15:24 AM »

I could take out the AM/FM but do like to listen to it too.

Does your car have a double DIN radio?  You could remove that, put in a single DIN radio and your 2M rig.  I'm in the process of doing this very thing with my Ford Ranger pickup.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K5EFJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »

As a matter of fact it does.  Thanks.  That may just work!!
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:40:08 AM »

The hazard to in-dash installs is heat.  Something to keep in mind if you're wont to jabbering away for extended periods on high power.  Airflow is likely pretty stagnant and isn't subject to cabin climate control circulation so sitting in the sun all day means it's going to start hot and likely stay hot even with a built-in fan and with the A/C on.  Since the typical use case is pretty low duty cycle I don't think it will be a problem, but just something to be aware of on hot summer days.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:14:54 AM »

in my 000 Dodge intrepid, there was no good place to put a radio so I mounted it on the passenger side of the center consol. My Adult daughter says the  FT 857 bothers he leg while riding there, and I said " I never ride there so it doesn't bother me at all. "  not pretty but it works.

In my pickup I removed the bottom of the center front seat and a friend built a rack for all 5 radios  there. It works well, see pictures at my call on qrz.com. Its your car so drill what ever you want.
K5EFJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »

Thank you all for your thoughts.  The more comments, the better my decision making.  I don't talk a lot but it does get a little warm in the summer here in Louisiana Grin so that may be an issue I hadn't thought of yet.  I've also looked at mounting it on the passenger side of the center console.  I won't get to this for a couple of weeks yet so I have some time to ponder!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:22:11 AM »

where ever you mount it, remember a couple of things, , you have to angle the display so you can see it from your drivers seat,  you need to neatly run the coax and power cables up out of the way ( tuck them behind the consol/carpet etc) , find a good place for the mic to sit or hang, and figure out the run for the coax to the antenna mount, where ever that ends up.   a good ground will help too, ground the radio to the dash or floorboards, the shield side of the antenna to a chassis screw near the antenna and the neg side of the power to the chassis.  it all helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: