Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Alert CO614 Carbon Monoxide alarm triggered by 80 meter RF  (Read 5316 times)
W3VVV

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:17:17 PM »

I have a First Alert CO614 carbon monoxide alarm that has been getting triggered sporadically when I transmit on 80 meters.   At first this was just a nuisance, but now the alarm has gone into permanent "error" status according to the display.   The manual says that "error" status means "malfunction - replace alarm".   I called First Alert and they took a "report", but I don't know if they'll actually do anything to make the newer CO detectors more RF-resistant.  (I bought the alarm at Costco, so they'll give me a refund with no problem.) 

Anyone else seen this behaviour with CO alarms, particularly the First Alert CO614?   Anyone else have a CO alarm that appears to be RF-immune?

Louis
W3LMW 
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:27:02 PM »

We have a similar First Alert model that gets tripped into "error" mode when I occasionally key up on 2 meters with only 5 watts. Starts the error "chirp" and continues until I take the battery out. Running 1w to hit repeaters seems to help and using UHF/HF doesn't seem to effect it.

You aren't alone my friend!

EDIT: I should add that 80m may trip mine as well but I do not operate enough on that band to say.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:31:45 PM by KD0PBO » Logged
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:14:45 AM »

.....yep, same thing here.  Unplugged, removed battery and threw the whole thing in the trash.  Bye bye.

W2JUV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:44:32 AM »

Original post didn't state if the CO detector operates on 120vac or battery.  I had a similar situation with a detector that plugged into 120vac and I set it off when operating 160m.  Replaced with a battery powered unit....problem solved.
W3VVV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »

CO614 operates on 120 VAC and has battery backup.   Replaced unit with a battery powered unit and problem is solved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: