Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What vintage radio would you recommend?  (Read 7751 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »

If I recall correctly, the FT-101E still used sweep tubes in the final. They are not manufactured anymore, so if they need replacement you'll have to hunt for NOS or used.

There are mods to convert a FT101 series over to 6146B tubes.  My first transceiver that actually worked correctly was a FT101B. Would love to get another one someday for old times sake.  Would really like a FT101F, FT101FE or FT101FX due to the rarity of those models.

73 John AF5CC
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »

Go with the Drakes. They have NO problems with internal caps. Yeah, the PS caps could be replaced, someday.. I have 24 Drakes and have one that spent some time underwater and still worked FB.
I have Collins, Hallicrafter, National, etc,  and the Drakes stands head and shoulders above them all....

YMMV
ron
N4UE
K9ZF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 08:48:24 PM »

I started out with a FT101E back in '92.  I used it for a couple of years, it was a fine old rig.  Was still going strong when I sold it.

I also had a Swan 500C.  I enjoyed it as well.

If you want classy, I would go with an set of Kenwood twins :-)

I've never owned Drakes, but they are great old rigs too.  I may pick up a pair someday, just for fun, hi hi.

73 & have fun,
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
former K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover
 ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Maili
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 02:04:47 AM »

What defines vintage? Older than 50 years?

The FT101 looks modern to me. The Drake less so. My R1155/T1154 of 1944 looks old. A TRF RX with brass horn loudspeaker looks vintage.

Andrew
DXZEPP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »

First choice is Ft-102 for receiver and transmitter performance.
Second choice is the Kenwood 599D Twins - Absolutely beautiful radios!! 
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »

Thinking of getting a classic looking radio, think it could be fun to have some vintage equipment. What would you recommend to get or look for? Would prefer a tube over solid state. Looked at the Yaesu FT101 but thinking there could be a nice gem I don't know about being I am still fairly new to this. But I like the vintage old school look, and it would be fun to use on certain band but not all the time just to get that feel. Plus I would think it would make me a better ham operator as well learning the tuning and knob turning over just pushing buttons and the nuance of the whole process.

Might as well get a Collins R-390A before they get even more expensive.  That receiver will be worth huge money in the future.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 07:49:34 AM »

I collect  both Drake and Collins gear, the Drake stuff is less expensive,  the Collins is bigger, better laid out, and therefore easier to work on.  The insulation on Drake hookup wire tends to disappear when heated, Collins uses Teflon which is  relly hard to strip.  Collins uses 6146s.  A KWM II is probably not a beginner radio, the  S1 Series might be a better choice.  The workmanship,  mechanical construction and materials  in a Collins radio that hasn't been hacked are a joy to behold.  That said, the Drake R4 series receivers are better at the job of receiving, even if the knobs wobble and theblue tint on the VFO and S meter windows burns to clear.
One thing to be said about the FT 101 series, it's a motherboard and cards radio layout, like a PC.  With an extender card it's easy to work on. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: