Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craigslist find  (Read 1638 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:50:54 AM »

Since my Kenwood 130 croaked, I've been looking for a new HF transceiver. A guy on SF Bay Area Craigslist was advertising about 5 or 6 different transceivers. I emailed him about a Icom IC-735 he had. He was asking $400 but I got him down to $375. Yesterday I drove to Crockett, which is across the Carquinez Strait from Vallejo, to pick it up. Turns out the guy's van had been stolen a week before and he had to sell everything that wasn't nailed down to get cash to replace it. The radio was grungy but complete, including a HM-12 mic. He also gave me a power cord. I took it home and hooked it up, and...no power. The power cord fuse was fried. Replaced that and the radio worked fine. I know a lot of people don't like Craigslist, but every so often you can find a deal.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »

Local area Craig's List is the ONLY place I buy/sell. Touch, see, smell the item and hand to hand cash and carry. Always some type of Ham gear listed in my area.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »

Local area Craig's List is the ONLY place I buy/sell. Touch, see, smell the item and hand to hand cash and carry. Always some type of Ham gear listed in my area.

While you can find some good buys on it at times you also have to be very careful because some dump junk there.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:40:24 PM »

While you can find some good buys on it at times you also have to be very careful because some dump junk there.

CL also has people selling stolen electronics on it. I bought a iPhone 3 on Ebay from a guy who said he bought it on CL. It was advertised "not working". I decided that I didn't want it and sold it to somebody else. She got it to boot up...and it turned out to be stolen. If a seller doesn't know anything about the item, it may be stolen. I see ads that have only a photo and a few words in the ad saying "Icom IC-756" or something like that. Such ads are probably stolen stuff. Caveat emptor, always.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »

Like I said "TOUCH, SEE, SMELLl" ask questions, in a fairly local/regional CL area it's not difficult to find info on any area scam artist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: