The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI (?) kills D-Link DSL modem  (Read 12626 times)
K3PFW

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:48:48 AM »

I have a Verizon supplied D-Link DSL modem in the shack that looses the DSL sync (DSL light goes off) when I transmit on frequencies below 7-8 MHz.  I've tried Radio Shack snap on cores, with multiple turns, on the power lead from the wall wart, close to the modem, but hasn't helped.  Anybody have any experience with this problem
VE7NZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »

I had this problem with even 10 watts being transmitted. Turns out that DSL has two lines that run to the modem from the operator's switch/CO. One was on a bad port which seemed to have no adverse effect to throughput but made RF interference catastrophic to internet use in our house.  As soon as the situation was fixed by the phone company, I could transmit 100W with no effect on the system.   You may be able to check the status of the two inbound lines on your router utility...i was able to see one listed as "disconnected" which prompted my call to the operator.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 06:21:50 AM »

I have the same situation; a Verizon supplied DSL router where it seems to be more suseptable to RF above 40 meters. Unless your antenna is over 25 yards away from your router or your transmission line to the antenna is hard isolated the router will blank off when you transmit.  For me, it doesn't matter what level of power output I use but never tested below 10 watts.  Anyway, these cheap devices are not shielded properly and your copper picks up your RF quite well so if you are depending on them for solid internet access while on the air...just forget about it.  I would be curious if anyone else has this situation and if they were able to defeat the problem and stay internet connected while on the air.
K3PFW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:35:24 AM »

All: after initial post, went back and searched this forum. (search DSL modem) Found the answer back in posts from 2010, shoulda looked their first.  Two Radio Shack snap cores with multiple turns through them, one on the power lead, and the other on the phone line.  Seems to be OK now at 100 watts on 40 and 75.  Yes, the antennas, a B&W and an OCF, are within 25 yds. of the router.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: