Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Engineering---  (Read 32130 times)
VE3GNU

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:19:45 AM »

My collection of home-made coax cable-assemblies was sorely due for a make-over, and having read the very positive Eham Reviews on their product-line, I just had to order.  DX Engineering's web-site is easy to navigate, the ordering process was a snap, communication---fast and positive, shipping---pretty well at the-speed-of-light (two days by FedEx across the border) quality of product---wonderful, and packaging---secure and neat! In summary---these folks have set the standard, and deserve all the accolades coming their way! It hard to imagine that anyone can do it better.
K2UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »

I also had a similar positive experience with DX Engineering -- everything was in stock, they confirmed receipt of my Ham License for a product that required it, and it all arrived well packed.  I will buy there again.
W2GTX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:41:05 AM »

DXE is the best for me - they seem to 'get it' when it comes to shipping notification and keeping the customer informed.
Doug - W2GTX
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »

,,,they confirmed receipt of my Ham License for a product that required it,...

What kind of item would require a ham license?  I've not heard of this before now.  Who requires the license; the FCC? or the vendor?
I've worked in electronics for well over 50 years before I retired and have never been asked for my ham license or my commercial license.  Is this something new?
Puzzled,
Tom
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 07:30:18 AM »

Sometimes when a product is on the 'thin edge' of being legal, some distributors want to see a ham license.  An example (and this is simply an example, not the real case) is any linear amp that may be finagled to operate on 11 meters.  The company doesn't want to get in trouble for selling such things, so they request a ham license for their records so they can tell the FCC they 'checked' for legality.

In short, it isn't a requirement.  It's the sellers choice--and some sellers will refuse to sell if no ham license is presented.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:35:47 AM »

Sometimes when a product is on the 'thin edge' of being legal, some distributors want to see a ham license.  An example (and this is simply an example, not the real case) is any linear amp that may be finagled to operate on 11 meters.  The company doesn't want to get in trouble for selling such things, so they request a ham license for their records so they can tell the FCC they 'checked' for legality.

In short, it isn't a requirement.  It's the sellers choice--and some sellers will refuse to sell if no ham license is presented.

I believe they also use the license to verify address with shipping and credit card billing.  Just an extra safety precaution on their part that is OK with me.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:08:16 AM »

What kind of item would require a ham license?  I've not heard of this before now.  Who requires the license; the FCC? or the vendor?
I've worked in electronics for well over 50 years before I retired and have never been asked for my ham license or my commercial license.  Is this something new?
Puzzled,
Tom

I have encountered it a couple times in past 35 years, usually when dealing with private individuals selling stuff. If they claim to be a ham but won't give you their callsign, a lot of alarm bells start going off in my head that this is some sort of scam or maybe stolen stuff or at least something isn't on the up-and-up.

If someone is selling an amp, asking questions to make sure the buyer has a ham license is just common sense, and a step that I very much appreciate. Anything that sharpens the distinction between ham radio, and illegal CB use, is fine by me. There's a whole industry out there dedicated to illegal CB stuff and staying out of that industry is a good sign.

It seems to be a very useful cross-check above-and-beyond anything required by the FCC to make sure someone isn't scamming. If you're a real ham you have a lot more credibility in my book than just an average Joe trying to buy or sell stuff.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:38:34 AM by N3QE » Logged
KB8UUZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »

Actually the reason DX Engineering asks for a copy of your Amateur Radio License (to get the 10 meter modification) is because Ameritron requires that.
Seems that Ameritron would have to spend lots of $$$$ to eliminate that requirement on their amplifiers.
Whereas other amplifier companies now have that included in their type acceptance fee's to the FCC and don't have to ask for a license copy.

Tom, KB8UUZ
DX Engineering
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »

What kind of item would require a ham license?  I've not heard of this before now.  Who requires the license; the FCC? or the vendor?
I've worked in electronics for well over 50 years before I retired and have never been asked for my ham license or my commercial license.  Is this something new?
Puzzled,
Tom

There is some misconception that retailers require ham licenses to purchased ham gear. Working in ham retail, I can tell you this. It is a choice of the retailer, and not a requirement. The only things I have seen that may require a license is a 10M mod for an amp, or a MARS mod. Other than that, it would be highly stupid of a retailer to require a ham license.

At the store that I work for, the Christmas shopping season of Black Friday to Christmas brings in a ton of non-hams to buy gifts for their loved ones. Husbands, sons, fathers, grandfathers, and even wives. These non-ham relatives would have to be sent out of the store without a purchase, if this were the case. And I can tell you this, the sales during that period are significant.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:43:17 PM by N4NYY » Logged
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »

Buying ham gear from a non licensed ham is not a problem. On EBay for example many sellers buy up estates from silent keys, or find ham items at a garage sale. These sellers are mostly legit. Just make sure you check out the sellers record on EBay, and only use PayPal for payment. I have purchased many ham items this way with no problems.

73s

K2OWK
K5JZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »

I have been doing business with George, Rod and the boys for many years. I have also purchased many times from their sister company, Summit Racing. I have NEVER been disappointed in any of my dealings with them. Their prices are as good as one can find and their customer service is the best in the business. The quality of every single product that I have purchased has exceeded my expectations. The performance is right there with their quality of build! They ship fast and inform you as to how and when the product will arrive.

I recently ordered one of their 1/4 wave 80 meter vertical kits for our Contest station and I was so impressed with the build quality and engineering design that I ordered a second one for my home QTH!!!

I recently had a problem with a DX Engineering 4 Square receiving system, right as the FT5ZM DXpedition started. The problem was a nicked feedline. It was (DX Engineering) 75 ohm feedline, flooded with a substance to protect from moisture intrusion and had not been compromised up until a rare (for Mississippi) 3 day hard freeze. Ice formed and expanded and shorted the feedline and cause a coupling capacitor in one Pre Amp units to become intermittent. As soon as I would close in on the problem... you guessed it... it would start working again... that is until I needed it to work. Grin I was stumped due to the intermittent nature of the problem.

Rod in tech support went above and beyond in helping me to trouble shoot the problem and find the solution. He then went out of his way to expedite shipping on the parts needed for repair and made suggestions for repair and calibration. Because of Rod and DX Engineering, I was one of the lucky ones to make it into the 160 meter log of FT5ZM!!! I could NEVER have done it without them. Am I a happy customer? You bet I am and for life to boot!

Thanks guys... you are simply the best!

George K5JZ
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »

DX Engineering is a "first class outfit" and have proven it with every order I have placed with them.  Always knowledgeable about products, always delivered fast, and always correct.

John W5JON - V47JA
KD8VQH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 05:21:21 AM »

I placed my first order with DX Engineering this past Friday for two HT antennas. They came Monday. I know I will be placing more orders with them. I grew up 15 minutes from their location and have made may purchases from their sister company Summit Racing. I am more than satisfied with their service!

73's
Wes
KD8VQH
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »

I was in the supermarket a few years back, wearing my black DX Engineering T-shirt.  A stranger walked up to me and asked if I worked for DX Engineering and said he just bought one of their ratcheting crimpers.  I told him I was just a fan of the company.  He said he was thrilled with his transaction and walked on.  I didn't even have a chance to say "me too"!

Terry, WØFM
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »

I recently placed my FIRST (small-100.00) order with them. Boy, I was treated like I was the most important customer of the month. I even asked questions on some other products, not related to my order, and received good info and never did I feel rushed. Very friendly. I received an e-mail the same day, confirming order and late in the day received an e-mail confirming shipping.
In the future, I will always check FIRST their website or catalog for the items I need. The prices and service are the best.
GOOD JOB to the team at DX-Engineering-- you guys got it right!!!
Lane--K9MOV
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: