About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL  (Read 6275 times)
WI8P

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before, but as a relatively new ham, I have questions.  Grin

I recently read in someone elses post elsewhere here that they refuse to be a member of ARRL. As I stated, I'm pretty new so I don't understand why someone would take that attitude towards the only organization that I know of who stands up for ham's best interests. I belong to a far more controversial group, the NRA, and though I do not always agree with their actions, I recognize they are the most influential group we have when it comes to firearms owners.  So I guess I'm at a loss why someone would refuse to join the ARRL.  Is there something I am missing, or does it boil down to something stupid, like a person being too cheap to pay the dues so they make up excuses why they won't join?   Huh
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »

I can think of some:

1. Too cheap certainly applies to some.
2. Some see ham radio not as a hobby but a tool to communicate with buddies or family. They have no interest in either the technical, operational or future of the hobby.
3. Some still feel scorned by the incentive licensing of decades ago. They feel the ARRL let them down.
4. Some just don't like organizations.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »

the ARRL is the world cop for keeping our spectrum, if nothing else matters.  so they have value in today's world, even if you don't like everything else they do.  and they are the publications leader in this hobby.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »

No ARRL = no ham radio.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »

Actually,

no ARRL = no ham radio IN THE US

no IARU = no ham radio world wide.

But as ARRL provides the major support to IARU, no ARRL is  a world wide problem - but IARU would continue but probably at a lower level.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »

No ARRL = no ham radio.

That was kind of my thought. 

As for someone's earlier comment about the licensing, it's a double edge sword.  Making licensing harder means fewer hams.  That may free up some bands of US users, but that's the only plus side I can see.  On the other hand, making the licenses easier to obtain has kept the numbers of ham operators up.  That leads to crowded bands (at times), but also gives economy of scale to manufacturers, increasing the likelihood of more ham related products.

But I digress.  IMHO, anyone who says they won't join ARRL is really saying they don't care about the future of ham radio, or it's survivability.

Thanks for the replies!
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »

the ARRL is the world cop for keeping our spectrum

No it isn't. It is an AMERICAN organisation which represents American amateurs. It has no law making or enforcement capability, that is the job of the FCC. There are no world cops for keeping the spectrum. The IARU are the nearest to a global organisation.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »

But I digress.  IMHO, anyone who says they won't join ARRL is really saying they don't care about the future of ham radio, or it's survivability.

Oh god you're one of that crowd, the "If you're not with us you must be against us" muppets. Just because they're not in the ARRL doesn't mean they don't care. They may not agree with what the ARRL does. They may do more for amateur radio than you've ever done. Paying your annual dues to a club doesn't show you care about amateur radio more than other people do.

According to your QRZ profile you care so much about amateur radio you won't even QSL.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »

Making licensing harder means fewer hams.  That may free up some bands of US users, but that's the only plus side I can see. 

Making licensing harder make it feel like you are really accomplished something when you pass the exam. It makes you (and other) actually value a ham license more.  It generally insures that those who get ham licenses are really interested in radio, and not just using it as a means to an end to enable them to chase toronados or things like that.

John AF5CC
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:46:50 PM »

Just because they're not in the ARRL doesn't mean they don't care. They may not agree with what the ARRL does. They may do more for amateur radio than you've ever done. Paying your annual dues to a club doesn't show you care about amateur radio more than other people do.

Exactly!  Why would someone pay money to join an organization whose views they totally disagree with. For example, I don't care what sort of discounts I can get at different places, I will never join AARP. I wouldn't if it were free.

John AF5CC
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 01:37:43 AM »

ARRL does a lot of behind the scenes work for world wide amateur radio, and not just for the US amateur. Not only do they provide a lot of support for the IARU, but they are the ONLY society to regularly send representatives to ITU (and CITEL) meetings as part of the national delegation. At ITU-R SG1 and its working parties for example, that means that the ARRL man can cover one of the parallel meetings while the IARU man can cover another one - thus partially avoiding the problem of needing amateur representation in more than one meeting at a time. Only partially avoiding the problem though when there are three or four parallel meetings.....

It may be that some amateurs don't care about what happens internationally and so feel the ARRL is irrelevant to them. But if they ever want to use HF, they could well find that without the IARU, heavily backed by ARRL, there could be no HF bands to use.

Yes, I am a member and have been for over 20 years. Plus over 50 years membership in RSGB.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 03:32:33 AM »

The other side of the coin: Amateur Radio predates the ARRL, as long as RF is available there will always be some type of Amateur Radio communications/experimentation, we see/hear this everyday from the free banders, boot leggers, pirate stations, preppers and other stealth comm folks who give little if any credence to the ARRL or FCC.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 05:08:34 AM »

There are also those who get no assistance from their local section--because of politics.  I've always gotten good info and assistance from ARRL HQ, but I've stopped supporting them because of their insistence that I talk to my local section people.  Those people who, because of politics and my support of a former section manager, have--in a way--blacklisted me.  Everybody makes mistakes, but some of those section leaders do not believe in forgive and forget.

I'll be d*mn if I will send my money to support people who told me basically to go to h*ll.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »

It's ok to spell out Hell Chris, they say Hell in the Bible.

John AF5CC
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »

8P:  There you have it...... from total support and the reasons for it to those who have a personal problem with ARRL.

I think it can be said with accuracy that ALL organizations in this country has supporters as well as detractors.  So the bottom line is you should support any organization that provides you with a service or provides service to others.

ARRL is the only organization that supports amateurs in this country.  Without the ARRL we wouldn't be having this discussion.  There is an excellent chance that we wouldn't have the radio spectrum that we enjoy today. While it's been pointed out that there will always be some kind of amateur activity, that activity would be fragmented and chaotic, as it was before the ARRL was organized.

JKA points out that amateur radio predates the ARRL which is entirely true.  However, the organizing of the amateurs by Maxim is what finally gave the amateurs standing and a unified voice to the federal government.  Up to that point amateur radio was fragmented and was on the verge of being eliminated.

Why would someone pay money to join an organization whose views they totally disagree with.

Agreed!  However, while most organizations have policies, programs or philosophies that we disagree with; if that organization stands between you and oblivion, then it deserves your support.

I cancelled my membership to AARP because several years ago they took a stance for gun control and became one of the largest financial contributors to the gun control advocates.  While I disagree with AARP on this one thing, I no longer belong because they don't provide me with anything that I can obtain elsewhere.  

Every ham should support the ARRL but that doesn't mean you have to carry their flag!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:40:00 PM by K8AXW » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: