Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making N1MM play nice with DXLab Commander  (Read 3196 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »

Hi,

I'd like to use N1MM for logging, but DXLab for spotting and rig control. In other words, N1MM should have access to the VFO frequency and mode info, while Commander controls the rig. Is there any reasonable (= not a week of programming) way to make this happen?

- Steve WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »

I'd like to use N1MM for logging, but DXLab for spotting and rig control. In other words, N1MM should have access to the VFO frequency and mode info, while Commander controls the rig. Is there any reasonable (= not a week of programming) way to make this happen?

Configure Commander's "Secondary CAT Port" to emulate a Kenwood transceiver in "lead and follow" mode. Use a "connected virtual serial port pair" like VSP manager of com0com to connect N1MM and Commander's "Secondary CAT Port". Configure N1MM as if it were interacting with a Kenwood TS-2000.

This is the same topology that enables interoperation between CW Skimmer and DXLab, as described and illustrated here. It won't do everything you'd like, but it's all that's possible unless the N1MM team chooses to directly employ Commander's programmatic interface.

Dave, AA6YQ

WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »

Finally got around to trying this, just in time for the WPX contest. Works like a charm.

Since I'm running Windows 7, I had to disable driver signing to install com0com. Reboot the machine, hit F8 at the Bios prompt, and reboot with signing disabled. This, I hope, should only have to be done once.

73, -Steve WX2S
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:18:55 PM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 05:07:24 PM »

Finally got around to trying this, just in time for the WPX contest. Works like a charm.

What advantage is there to doing this? N1MM has spotting/clusters and a really elegant rig control/bandmap control. Have you tried the N1MM Bandmap window with N1MM spots? It works very well and uses colors on the calls to show dupes, multipliers and other info. Easily zoomable too.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:10:46 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »

What advantage is there to doing this?
My purpose for entering contests isn't necessarily to score big in the contest. I use SpotFinder to find spots I want and N1MM to log them and track exchange numbers. Works great.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »

N1MM identifies what's "needed" in the current contest. DXLab identifies and announces what's "needed" for the user's award goals (DXCC, CQ DX Marathon, IOTA, Leaderboard, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, WPX); it also indicates active LotW and eQSL AG participation.

Hard core contesters would never do this, but DXers participating in a contest might preferentially pursue stations that would give them a new country, zone, grid square, state, or prefix.

Dave,  AA6YQ (author, DXLab)
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »

Bingo!  Grin

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 05:53:39 AM »

but DXers participating in a contest might preferentially pursue stations that would give them a new country, zone, grid square, state, or prefix.

Dave, 

I had not thought of that.

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: