Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The chase  (Read 9471 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »

OK, I run a 100W station with a vertical and trap dipole. I cannot run a frequency. But damn, I had a lot of fun this weekend going after countries that I needed for 5 band DXCC. I especially focused on 40 and 80, and could not believe how well I was doing. I ended with 72 contacts, yet had a blast chasing them. And I think I did well, especially on 80.

I have to find out if there is a contest that it geared to 40 and 80, and then would erect a temporary inverted L.
NH7FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »

I had quite the time as well, my country total really went up.  Part of me was in it simply to work some stations you wouldn't normally work, but as time went on and my score went up I really couldn't walk away from the radio.  I think I operated 24 total hours out of 48 and managed to log 669 contacts.  I think a little more experience and I can get a bit better. 

Art K4TNX
ex NH7FL
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:56:18 PM »

I had quite the time as well, my country total really went up.  Part of me was in it simply to work some stations you wouldn't normally work, but as time went on and my score went up I really couldn't walk away from the radio.  I think I operated 24 total hours out of 48 and managed to log 669 contacts.  I think a little more experience and I can get a bit better. 

Art K4TNX
ex NH7FL

Damn, that is great!
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:32:40 AM »

Conditions were great.

40/80 - there really aren't any major contests that just focus on 40/80, though there are several 160 contests over the winter.

If you'd like to see how your score compares to others, go to to www.3830scores.com and there is a simple interface to enter your band totals and then see how you did.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:29:54 AM »

I have to find out if there is a contest that it geared to 40 and 80, and then would erect a temporary inverted L.

Most DX contests have "single band categories" if you want. I felt activity on the low bands has been down compared to last year, but don't really lament the loss because the high bands have been so good, and I have horrible utility noise from an arcing utility pole lightning arrestor on 40M that hobbles me there anyway.

In ARRL Sweepstakes (a domestic, not a DX contest), an east coast or midwest station can do very very well on just 40M/80M in the late afternoon (40M short) and evening (40M long, 80M good everywhere dark) hours. Because you only work each station once per sweepstakes, there's no need to go to the high bands at all.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »

When conditions are good and it is Sunday PM, one work nearly all the running stations with a QRP and a piece of wire.
Ignacy, NO9E
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 05:42:16 AM »

Most DX contests have "single band categories" if you want. I felt activity on the low bands has been down compared to last year, but don't really lament the loss because the high bands have been so good, and I have horrible utility noise from an arcing utility pole lightning arrestor on 40M that hobbles me there anyway.

Tim is spot on.  A couple of years ago after moving to the East Coast and getting more interested in DXing and DX contesting, I decided I wanted to wrap up 5BDXCC and did SOSB80 in CQ WW CW.  That pretty much did it.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »

The great thing about ARRL DX if you're a W chasing DXCC is that the rest of the world is only looking for NA.  No pesky EU-EU or AS-AS pileups to try to break through.  The down side is that ARRL DX isn't nearly as popular as, say, CQWW DX.  There is generally less "juicy DX" active, but still plenty to work if you're looking to complete 5BDXCC, etc.

My take on last weekend's conditions were that absoption was pretty bad on the low bands.  40 and 80 was significantly worse than usual.  Your experience may have been different, but from here, I'm looking right through the AU oval to much of NA.  Except for 10m, the recent solar activity (CMEs) resulted in several dB of absorption which got progressively worse lower in frequency.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 04:46:37 PM »

That's what good conditions will do for ya, Vin.  You can work just about anyplace with a wet noodle....take it from someone who knows.....as was said before, the ARRL doesn't have as many semi-rare entities as the CQ WW, but it sure fills the voids when the conditions are good....

V
K3NRX

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »

The great thing about ARRL DX if you're a W chasing DXCC is that the rest of the world is only looking for NA.  No pesky EU-EU or AS-AS pileups to try to break through.  The down side is that ARRL DX isn't nearly as popular as, say, CQWW DX.  There is generally less "juicy DX" active, but still plenty to work if you're looking to complete 5BDXCC, etc.

My take on last weekend's conditions were that absoption was pretty bad on the low bands.  40 and 80 was significantly worse than usual.  Your experience may have been different, but from here, I'm looking right through the AU oval to much of NA.  Except for 10m, the recent solar activity (CMEs) resulted in several dB of absorption which got progressively worse lower in frequency.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL

I may have the reason. Upper bands being open later into the day allowed these power ops to be spread out. Hence, I did not fall into the QRM of people being on top of each other.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »

The CQ WPX contests are are 160-10, but there is a "bonus" for contacts on 160-80 and 40 meters.  Point values are doubled for QSOs between USA and other countries, so the contest as a whole favors those who do well on those bands.  Plenty of DX to be worked.  Look into the CW event the latter part of May.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 06:02:44 AM »

The CQ WPX contests are are 160-10, but there is a "bonus" for contacts on 160-80 and 40 meters.  Point values are doubled for QSOs between USA and other countries, so the contest as a whole favors those who do well on those bands.  Plenty of DX to be worked.  Look into the CW event the latter part of May.

Some of the contests this year, I've found the low bands to be disappointing. Part of it was folks moving their focus to the high bands to take advantage of excellent conditions there, but it wasn't just decreased participation on low bands, I felt that low band conditions were very poor in ARRL DX CW and CQ WPX SSB. When 20M and even 15M is open all night it's hard to complain about the low bands being poor!

This past weekend was very interesting, with JIDX CW contest. From here on East Coast 10M and 15M were a non-starter to JA because of geomagnetic disturbances, but I found the low bands, especially 40M to JA, to be in the best shape I have ever heard them, I was getting up after sunrise and finding lots of JA's to work well after sunrise. And there was this wonderful opening on 20M Sunday morning to JA, I found the well-equipped JA stations to be 30db over S9, and the "100 watt with vertical" JA stations were super easy copy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: