Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW confirmation rates?  (Read 4470 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »

Curious, I am relativity new to HF and have not been very active yet. I have 14 contacts logged with only 3 confirmed by LOTW. I have all the contacts uploaded, but I assume only 3 people uploaded their side for the confirmation.

What type of confirmation rates do you all see? 

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:03 AM »

That's probably about right for US hams, you'll find DX contacts and contesters will have a higher rate.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »

Curious, I am relativity new to HF and have not been very active yet. I have 14 contacts logged with only 3 confirmed by LOTW. I have all the contacts uploaded, but I assume only 3 people uploaded their side for the confirmation.

I'm at about 50% overall, but I don't do much stateside rag chewing; almost all of my QSOs are using digital modes, are DX, or were made during a contest.  Those 3 groups have the highest percentage of LoTW confirmations, based upon my observations.  The highest percentage I've seen is among JT65 users where the vast majority are LoTW users.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 01:02:18 PM »

I do a lot of digital and contesting--just passed the 5000 QSL milestone with a confirmation rate of 52.6%

Zack W1VT
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »

Mostly RTTY - 59.5%.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 02:50:02 PM »

I am at about 50% today, but it took a while to get it there.  Some stations upload their QSO's every day or every week, some only do it a few times a year.  So it would be interesting to see what percent of those 14 contacts are confirmed by next year at this time ;-)

The future is digital QSL.  Cards will one day be like boat anchors, treasured by a small few
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »

I went through the list and several have LOTW checked a NO on their QRZ.com profile. I found a couple that had checked YES. I emailed one that had YES checked on QRZ.com to see what his response might be. He replied and said he had forgotten to upload his Ohio QSO party log. He did it today . . .

KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »

My experience mirrors what others are saying.  I have mostly DX (non-US) contacts, all digital, and my LOTW confirmation rate is just a bit above 50 percent. 

Basil
KE5GAE
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »

Huh wonder what I am doing wrong, I am no where near 50%. Then again I don't contest and only occasional DX.

Eqsl on the other hand is like 80%  Smiley

Which brings up another question. How far back do you download confirmations from lotw usually??
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »

Which brings up another question. How far back do you download confirmations from lotw usually??

Most software, at least the software I've used (HRD v6, Log4OM, DXLabs, RUMlog, Aether, CQRlog) will go back and download all new QSLs received since your last download.  Thus, it doesn't matter when the last QSO was, just when the last time QSLs were downloaded.  Nearly weekly I see a QSL from a 2, 3 or 4 or more year-old QSO show up new and fresh in my LoTW download.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »

Huh, that's weird I am using HRD and it asks for a specific date to start from.

If you go to far back lotw balks at it.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »

How recent were those QSO's? Some people with LoTW accounts who aren't contesters may go months or longer between downloads.

My current LoTW QSL rate is about 58%, almost all PSK31 and JT65 contacts. But then again, I mainly focused on working LoTW account holders to get WAS awards for those modes.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »

I'm a member of a small but very active contest club.

Our members typically see over-all QSL rates on LoTW of 35-45% ... and somewhat higher of RTTY, somewhat lower for DX.

K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »

Huh, that's weird I am using HRD and it asks for a specific date to start from.
If you go to far back lotw balks at it.

Which version of HRD?  Are you sure you're not talking about the TQSL program.

As I recall (I'm at work and can't see it right now), HRD v6 asks for a date when downloading, but if you don't put one in, it will fill in the date of your last download. I can't recall the last time I ever entered an actual date when downloading from LoTW using either HRD, Log4OM, CQRlog or RUMlog unless I was setting them up new from scratch. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »

You didn't mention how long you have been waiting for a DX confirmation on LoTW so I assume you are referring to confirmations from DX stations and not from US/VE hams.  Based on my experience it can run anywhere from a few hours to several years befor you get a confirmation.   You just never know. I often receive LoTW confirmations from DX stations that have just recently decided to join LoTW and upload their logs which contain QSOs that go back several years.  I have one with a Indonesian station that goes back 8 years!  Have patience and in the meantime continue to make duplicate contacts with that same country until you get lucky.
When you work DXpeditions you'll find that most of them post their logs to LoTW six months after they return home.  Some sooner, some later.  They will usually announce it on their web site so check there for updates.
One thing you need to be aware of is when you see a DX station say on his QRZ.com page that he QLS's via LoTW, he may not necessarily be truthful about that.  Some DX stations use that as bait for reasons I won't get into here.

Good luck, happy DXing and 73,

Bob KW4CQ   
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: