Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW callsign from hell  (Read 11655 times)
RSHIRE22

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:39:08 AM »

I just got a new callsign. It has the number four, two Ws and two Vs. Yes the cw callsign from hell.
Working cw yesterday once I conditioned myself to send it correctly without error, I have gotten zero responses from stations I've called.

So I suppose I will have to send money to the FCC
to get an acceptable callsign but the government will use the money to give to degenerates who won't work for a living like the president and his ilk. I would not mind if the money was used for a broomstick to stick up their rears. End of rant. Otherwise no money for a vanity callsign.

RS
RSHIRE22

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 05:01:20 AM »

I wish I could move to Russia. They probably have jobs and no limp wrist for a leader. Grin
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 05:24:16 AM »

Move to Russia? Go for it, just get in touch with the Russian Embassy in D.C. and tell them you have a list of all the Number stations in the U.S.(that you have fictitiously made up from call letters not listed in any FCC data base). You will probably get free transportation to Russia plus free room and board once you get there, after all it worked for Snowdon. Job? not to worry, you will eventually make out like a bandit with book/movie rights and residuals.
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:53:26 AM »

It has the number four, two Ws and two Vs.

I guess, of the possible callsigns with those characters (assuming the first character has to be a W, given your mention of FCC), it's a toss-up as to whether W4VVW or WV4VW is worst. I guess W4WVV is least troublesome, WW4VV not too bad, and W4VWV and WV4WV are about equal...
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 06:54:21 AM »

If you have trouble with 4 in morse then I'm not sure where you're going with a 4-land call.

I would be very surprised if folks didn't come back to you just because they don't like sending 4's or V's.

But you clearly don't like 4's or V's... A 1x3 or 2x2 vanity call in 4-land, I think you'd get a good amount of choice. 1x2's or 2x1's in 4-land will be very hard.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:21:24 AM »

RSHIRE22:  I think any Russian ham reading your rant would initially be laughing his ass off and then, with a slight,  pause puke all over his shoes! 

I would almost bet that Russian doesn't have vanity licensing.

As for our "limp wristed president. just remember that the people of this country put him in power.....twice!  So, you wanna raise hell with someone..... look around you!
RSHIRE22

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 07:26:47 AM »

Thanks for the responses. I just came off a qso with an XE2 station. I sent my callsign five times and he kept coming back nil. My callsign is a complete mindf---. He still didn't get it. He came back with w4vwv? and wv4wv? and a few others but still didn't get it right.

I don't work much cw but still like to work cw sometimes so I'm going to wait about a week and change callsign again. I can live with wv4 plus any other letters besides w or v or v or w.

RS
RSHIRE22

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:37:49 AM »

I'm sure there is not as much political correctness in Russia. I'm sure Russians don't look over their shoulders when they complain about the Russian fcc of course the leader probably doesn't pretend the Russian fcc is him. They may have to fear Putin but I can disagree with someone and still respect him. The guy over there is a real man not pretend.
WB5JWI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »

Naw, your call probably isn't that bad, just unusual. I keep threatening to get WB5HHH as a call. Then I can send dit dah dah, set a paper weight against the dit lever and go get a cup of coffee. Grin

Seriously, I do sympathize. I am WB5JWI and had a QSO with someone who copied "W6HJWI" I almost never got it straight. What I have found helps is to add additional spaces and emphasis to certain characters. I have worked many "4" calls that I have to work at because the dah is very short. I tend to extend the dah a bit to make it stand out. Proper code? Maybe not but increased understanding is the desire. If it is a big problem for you, then get the vanity call, otherwise just make sure your sending is as helpful as possible for the receiving op and enjoy. Extra space between letters should help and on a CQ, a little extra space between call repetitions should also help. The object is not speed in a CQ but a contact that is enjoyable. Of course if you are trying to snag a DX, it might be a slight handy cap but not a big one. I've been on the bottom of a few pile-ups and all I really need to call back is a partial call anyway.

Good luck, OM.
RSHIRE22

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »

Weighting might help - I'll try it out soon. I guess I can say that wagon volks are for volks wagons otherwise they wouldn't buy one and I won't have one much longer. Still I would have preferred a dirty callsign like nt4tna or similar. Roll Eyes
WB5JWI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:21:55 AM »

If you had nt4tna I guarantee SOMEONE would call K4TK Grin

there was an old QST article, "Love Them Dits" by John Troster, W6ISQ that was hilarious - it is in the Jul 1962 QST and if you are a member you can get a pdf copy. If you go to http://www.arrl.org/arrl-periodicals-archive-search and use "love them dits" as the Title/Keywords you will find it. Worth the read.

Hpe CU on the air.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 08:30:01 AM »

K4VV is one of the most successful contesters across every mode, including CW. I think you are incorrectly assigning the problems (or imagined problems?) to your callsign.
W4II

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »

So, exactly what is your new call?  I can't seem to locate anyone with your last name via the name search on QRZ.com or in the FCC ULS database.

John W4II
N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 11:20:57 AM »

So, exactly what is your new call?  I can't seem to locate anyone with your last name via the name search on QRZ.com or in the FCC ULS database.

John W4II

W4II--now that's a nice call.

Whether or not a call is nice is a matter of aesthetics. Some just have a superior sound.

IMHO whether or not a call is sendable or copyable depends entirely on the telegraphic skills of the sender or copier and not at all on the character of the call itself.
KD2FLX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »

The fists web site says that a call of W4WVV ( guessing ) has a weight of 62, which doesn't seem all that bad.  Mine has a weight of 78.  But then, it doesn't really matter does it, we work with what we have!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: