Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: good Android app for code practice  (Read 5051 times)
KK4MRN

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »

I used to have an iphone and i found AA9PW Ham Morse app which was really good - actually the best code practice app for iphone.   But my iphone broke.  I have an android phone now.  Most morse code apps are toys.  Some are even by people who do not know it themselves, such as those that blink lights, vibrate, or show dots and dashes.  Anyone who has seriously tried to learn CW knows you learn it by listening.

So, what are some good morse code training apps for Android?
KF4O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »

CW Trainer by Wolphi...very nice.
Randy, KF4O
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »

IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW. Available for free at the app store.
KV4VE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 05:13:09 PM »

I'll second the IZ2UUF app. I use it on my tablet, and it's pretty good. I'm about 75% thru using the G4FON character sequence and have had better success with this than any of the several other schemes that I've tried. Another good one that I recently found is called "code practice" (it is free also by the way) similar to the IZ2UUF, but the timing between hearing the sounds and when the character is displayed is better. I like to try to say or write the letter before it's shown with this app, where there is just the slightest delay. I like the reinforcement of hear it/say it/see it. The IZ2UUF app actually displays the character while it's sounding it out. I have the added hurdle of having learned Morse code the wrong way to pass the Novice/Tech 5wpm back in the day, so having to "unlearn" and control the urge to count dots/dashes. The numbers are rough for me. You're right about some of the other apps. they aren't even "toy" quality and are evidently written so that their authors can say that they have written and published apps.?? You are on the right track-Learn it right the first time!!!  Smiley
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »

Does any body know where to find, and how to install a word bank in the IZ2UUF app? I recently got an Android tablet and I have little experience navigating around the device.
           Thanks much, Tom Bruzan, AB9NZ, Mount Prospect, Illinois
IZ2UUF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 01:59:34 AM »

Does any body know where to find, and how to install a word bank in the IZ2UUF app? I recently got an Android tablet and I have little experience navigating around the device.

Hello Tom.

There are two ways to do so: you can read a text file or you can manually write (or copy&paste) directly your words.

Load a text file
1) open the "IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW" app;
2) click on the yellow folder icon on the top-left area of the screen;
3) it will appear an empty list saying: "Choose file from /storage/sdcard0/cw" or something similar;
4) you need to execute steps 1-3 at least once because this creates the "cw" folder;
5) now connect your device to your PC using the USB cable;
6) you should see your device on your PC as it was a USB memory stick; on some phones it appears with two entries, "Internal memory" and "SD Card";
7) browse your device disks from your PC: either "Internal memory" or "SD Card" will have a folder named "cw": copy your text file with ".txt" extension in that folder;
Cool go back to step "1": in the list you should now see the text file you just added.

Type or paste
The procedure above loads the text file in the application memory. This memory can be accessed also by clicking the "configuration" icon in the "IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW" app and opening "Custom string".
There you can edit the loaded text or type in new entries. If you hold your finger longer on the text box, more options will pop out, like "select all" that allows you to wipe the contents at once (useful if you loaded a long text).

Let me know you have any further question.

Best 73 de Davide

Davide IZ2UUF - FISTS #16285 - SKCC #9531 - JN45nk
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »

Davide,
   Thank you very much for the application and for all of your help, very much appreciated.
            Best of 73 de Tom, AB9NZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: