Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some posts so hard to read!!  (Read 21583 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »

why are so many posts written as 1 long sentence there is no uppercase and no periods also there are no other punctuation marks i sometimes read these posts over and over just to see if i understand them these are in the forums and even reviews of equipment

OK, Rant is now over. I feel better now!  

For the same reason people don't use caps at the beginning of a sentence, commas in the where needed in a sentence, and periods at the end of a sentence!  Smiley

Brought to you by the "Department of redundancy department."

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »

why are so many posts written as 1 long sentence there is no uppercase and no periods also there are no other punctuation marks i sometimes read these posts over and over just to see if i understand them these are in the forums and even reviews of equipment

OK, Rant is now over. I feel better now!  

For the same reason people don't use caps at the beginning of a sentence, commas in the where needed in a sentence, and periods at the end of a sentence!  Smiley

Brought to you by the "Department of redundancy department."

Dave, I agree with you but they post in order to get their point across. To that extent they fail as it is very hard to read and many just go on.

Anyway, I am also Dave, but in Portland...trying to see if my SB221/ SB220 will still work after 17 years covered in a spare room.

BTW, nice web site.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 07:29:37 AM »

One other thing--sometimes some of the posted comments are so lacking in proper spelling and punctuation that no machine based correction system helps.
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »

The difficulty is not limited to just posting in forums.  Have you tried reading the websites of a daily metropolitan newspaper or TV newsroom lately?  Quite often the sentence structure makes it difficult, if not impossible, to determine who did what to whom.  Where did those overweight, aspirin-chugging, cigar-chomping editors go?

Allan - N4NLQ
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 04:24:08 PM »

Where did those overweight, aspirin-chugging, cigar-chomping editors go?

Heart attacks?
W7KDH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 09:54:52 AM »

WOW! I have been studying for my ticket to your big shot,swollen head & ego's,rocket scientist,electronics engenier,im sure i spelled that one wrong an by the way im damn glad im "not" smart enough to be an electronics engienoorre "lmao" i studied on this great website for 10yrs before i had the confidence to take the test and yes i did not graduate high school and did "very" poorly in spelling. i will never be an "extru cass" HAM an i hope i never meet most of you big shot,big gun,pro-spellers!an thanks to the great people who 'DUMBED DOWN" the testing an did away with the code req. rrrrrr i wanna say soooo much more. my call is w7kdh ya a silly vanity call! lets have a QSO sometime but it damn sure wont be in the extruu cl'ASS' portion. 73 to those who dont spell to well! "|"
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »

Well, I laughed at that KDH.  :-)

I had not expected that this thread would go to 21 posts. All I wanted to point out was that it is hard to read some of these posts. It was not just a "hamb radio" thing.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »

Re: W6TGE

Now I understand what you were reefering too in your tropic.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 04:27:36 AM »

The last thing I'm going to say about this subject is that there are people who honestly can't help it--but try to do their best, and then there are people who just don't give a d*mn whether or not anyone can read their drivel.  Most of the time you can tell the difference--just like the 'KDH post which was obviously done deliberately.
W7KDH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 01:27:46 PM »

me again. when i saw the 1st ham shack i ever saw and stared skyward from the base of the first tower i had the privilege 2 visit by a awesome elmer named Harry-K7HK,i was hooked! he was a busy man and he gave me a old extra class manual and the current "look who's talking" and i cant spell great and i still cant add resisters in parallel but i read those 2 books cover 2 cover a few times over a "10yr period and studied here on eham taking practice exams for many yrs,not having confidence 2 try the test. yes it was "extremely easy" and honestly i do wish it were a little harder and maybee failed once just 2 have a little more pride as all the "big time extras" have but it's just a hobby remember? i payed $50.00 for the new ARRL antenna book and i tell ya i can build any antenna i want to now so i got it goin on and i did it all myself! now i will pay it forward and help some poor kid who cant spell or learn math because their isnt understanding people or people who "have the time" to teach a kid that didnt do well in school. nothing i could have learned in school would have help me pass that "dumbed down" test. allways remember the Amateur code of-Considerate,Loyal,Progressive,Friendly,Balanced,Patriotic. an dont bully people who cant satisfy your idea of "punctuation and spelling" makes you "COOL" AND A "REAL HAM"... "|" 73 ken.

KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:57 PM »

Easy to read, nice and terse. Better than the 10 paragraph junk I see from time to time.
W7KDH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »

This is meant 4 "AC5UP" im sorry but your comment about site cop's "cherry picken" post"s for the poor spellers an who ever you meant and im sure you had more individuals im mind,and probably all hams who im sure would be offended by your drivel. you "created a frankenstein" remember that comment yrs ago? how about "puh-leeze",perfecto-mundo",immaculate reception",worthy of the vatican" WOW cool words!!!! have u been on the radio today or just hunkered down at the key board dreaming up withered ham wit? thanks 2 u in learning 2 spell better! jump on 20M so i can "NOT" have an miss spelled QSO. 73,QSY,QRV,QST,QRP,QRM,QRM ALL IMHO lazy "CW" spelling that i will never use because i would actually feel like a child doing so. but i do not mean any disrespect to all the great "CW" op's. i would like 2 learn but it's really hard 4 a dumbed down general class newby like me. i allmost feel like selling my brand new FT-897d after spending 2 much time in the forums reading some of the ways hams put down new hams an assume so many are stupid chicken band cber's. i bet most cut ur teeth on cb and are now ashamed 2 admit it. i been around the block in hobby's and i just hope Amateur Radio treats me right. im done an sorry if i was offensive! 73 ken "|"             
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 05:01:31 AM »

Could you repeat that in English?

BTW: The comment you're referring to was in response to the concept of private schools being more capable. Private schools routinely decline low achievers and those with special needs. Public schools don't have that luxury so any comparison between the two based on average test scores or college admissions will need to be adjusted for the bias.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »

...BTW: The comment you're referring to was in response to the concept of private schools being more capable. Private schools routinely decline low achievers and those with special needs. Public schools don't have that luxury so any comparison between the two based on average test scores or college admissions will need to be adjusted for the bias.

Could be true in some cases, but years ago some private schools run by catholic churches did not 'decline' low achievers.  The nuns back then paid more attention to those who couldn't pick up on things as well as others.  Sometimes the student would be taken out of class and given a more intense lesson to 'drill' the materials into their heads.

They also had interesting incentives for those who didn't want to study or work--such as a ruler applied across the knuckles or a smack on the back of the head.  Being shamed in front of your classmates was also used--and it worked.  

There was none of the baloney that exists these days of students rights.  Back then the students had only one--the right to be taught and to learn.  Today, if a teacher looks at a student in an odd way, the teacher is the one in trouble!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:53:40 AM by K1CJS » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 11:10:39 AM »

Today might not be the best time to comment on student rights, especially in the context of parochial education...

http://news.yahoo.com/vatican-names-former-victim-child-abuse-commission-173143966.html

I agree with you in general but with a reminder the pendulum of abuse can swing in either direction. From Father McFeely to this piece of absurdity:

http://wonkette.com/544627/sixth-grade-virginia-girl-gets-zero-toleranced-for-saving-classmate-from-cutting-himself

Rules are Rules and common sense does vary with perspective, but I say it's still true that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: