Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win 8.1 update  (Read 9951 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »

It appears that Microsoft is releasing a update for Win 8.1 on April 8th 2014. It will be for all platforms. Microsoft is also considering a free Win 8 upgrade for Win 7 users.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »

It won't play video DVDs  without extra software.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:34:26 PM by W1VT » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »

It appears that Microsoft is releasing a update for Win 8.1 on April 8th 2014. It will be for all platforms. Microsoft is also considering a free Win 8 upgrade for Win 7 users.

I tried the Win 8 edition that came out already.  Didn't like the interface.  If they do offer a Win 8 upgrade, I'll download it, but I'll keep it aside for the point when the Win 7 support ceases. 

By that time, maybe Microsoft will have come to its senses and put out two different same edition operating systems--one for desktops and laptops with keyboards, AND one for tablets and phones.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »

It won't play video DVDs  without extra software.

I cannot even remember the last time I played a DID on a PC anyway

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:46:24 PM »

I tried the Win 8 edition that came out already.  Didn't like the interface.  If they do offer a Win 8 upgrade, I'll download it, but I'll keep it aside for the point when the Win 7 support ceases.

I doubt they'll make it that easy.
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:40:39 AM »

Any idea what this update is?  I know they're supposedly working on v8.2, which will give users the Start button again.  I have 8.1 now and I've gotten used to it and I kind of like it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 04:43:07 AM »

Any idea what this update is?  I know they're supposedly working on v8.2, which will give users the Start button again.  I have 8.1 now and I've gotten used to it and I kind of like it.

From what i read 8.2 is Win. 8.1 Update 1 due out in April

W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:03:39 AM »

How about a free Windows 7 for an 8?  I think that would be a great trade.  Cheesy

73, Russ
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:50:38 AM »

HULK HATE 8!  hopefully 8.2 or update 8.1 number 1 or Sinofski's Revenge or whatever,  will allow a total absolute dismissal of the useless "modern" interface.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »

How about a free Windows 7 for an 8?  I think that would be a great trade.  Cheesy

73, Russ

Microsoft used to be able to let you have "downgrade rights" from Vista Business to XP Pro in some cases. And if people didn't have downgrade rights, they still went out and bought and installed Windows XP over Vista machines. While some encountered driver or possible issues. Others felt it was less of a hassle to just go purchase a refurbished XP machine with warranty.

It might be possible to "downgrade" from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Aside from possible hardware or drivers issues. There is no reason why you should not be able to install Windows 7 over a Windows 8 machine if you want to pay for the OS outright. (Please see the two first links below). There might be warranty issues of installing an older OS than what the machine came with and that "secure boot" to deal with.

Another route is to get a refurbished Windows 7 machine with a warranty. This way there is no hassle of having to buy and then install Windows 7 on an Windows 8 machines. Plus you don't have to deal with driver issues or "locked bios" (secure boot) that is found on Windows 8 machines.  

http://www.howtogeek.com/116569/htg-explains-how-windows-8s-secure-boot-feature-works-what-it-means-for-linux/

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/4678-windows-8-can-block-bios.html

Places like Micro Center sell refurbished machines all the time. Used Windows 7 machines can also be found on ebay all the time.

Below is from Microsoft

"For a PC that has Windows 8 preinstalled by an OEM
OEM downgrade rights apply to only Windows 8 Pro and allow for downgrades for up to two earlier versions (to Windows 7 Professional and to Windows Vista Business)."

"How to downgrade your PC"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2832566

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:54:58 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »

HULK HATE 8!  hopefully 8.2 or update 8.1 number 1 or Sinofski's Revenge or whatever,  will allow a total absolute dismissal of the useless "modern" interface.

You cannot move forward while clinging to past. Win 7 cannot support newer apps written for 8 but 8 supports 99% of win 32 apps properly written.

K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »

You cannot move forward while clinging to past. Win 7 cannot support newer apps written for 8 but 8 supports 99% of win 32 apps properly written.

I've been using 8.1 here now for about a month.  Hated it at first, but wanted the security and stability of the new OS.  I've found that I really do like it now.  I boot straight to the desktop, but the Metro interface is only a click away. I use it as a launcher screen and have found it quite handy. I have yet to find software that runs on Windows 7 but won't run on 8.1. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »

The Windows 8 / 8.1 built-in Mail application sucks.  
Many rumors that they will replace it with Outlook ...

It works for my Yahoo and Gmail accounts,
BUT it still does not work with the Comcast IMAP supported service.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:55:11 AM by W9GB » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »

The Windows 8 / 8.1 built-in Mail application sucks.  
Many rumors that they will replace it with Outlook ...

It works for my Yahoo and Gmail accounts,
BUT it still does not work with the Comcast IMAP supported service.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol

The packaged Outlook with 8.1 Win RT update but it is not included with regular Win 8x.

N3AEG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »

That's pretty funny.  Microsoft can't sell Windows 8, so they'll give it away free.

I have a philosophy on Windows.  It's a lot like Star Trek movies where every other one stinks. 

Just saying.

73s,

Leo - N3AEG
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: