Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win 8.1 update  (Read 9953 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »

...I know they're supposedly working on v8.2, which will give users the Start button again....

IF that happens, and IF the OS will allow you to go to the traditional desktop instead of the *%&$%* 'Metro' interface, maybe I could become a Win 8 convert.  I want a desktop system for its traditional usefulness, not so I have to look through numerous picture representations to try to find what I need.  

If I wanted to be stuck with a smartphone interface just to be modern, up-to-date, and 'correct,' then I would have bought 8 when it first came out!  But I want a desktop system that will do what I need quickly--without all the sliding, finagling and baloney that has to be done with a 'system' that rightfully only belongs on a platform sans keyboard that is designed to fit in the palm of your hand.

Added:  Microsoft 'stole' the concept from Apple that became Windows, and now they're trying to steal it again.  This time, with Win 8, they shot themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:39:19 AM by K1CJS » Logged
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »

Just install Start8 http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

or

Classic Shell http://www.classicshell.net/

and go on with life. Smiley

Todd
AD7VB
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 06:59:36 AM »

Thanks, Todd.  Next time I 'clean up and reinstall' the OS (I try to do that once a year) I'll try it.  73!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 05:23:47 AM »

Just realized, how am I going to do that--with Win7?  I wonder if I can still get the first release copy of Win 8 to load so I can try the indicated software...  One day when I have a l-o-n-g weekend, I got to try it--if I even want to bother.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »

...I know they're supposedly working on v8.2, which will give users the Start button again....

IF that happens, and IF the OS will allow you to go to the traditional desktop instead of the *%&$%* 'Metro' interface, maybe I could become a Win 8 convert.  I want a desktop system for its traditional usefulness, not so I have to look through numerous picture representations to try to find what I need.  

If I wanted to be stuck with a smartphone interface just to be modern, up-to-date, and 'correct,' then I would have bought 8 when it first came out!  But I want a desktop system that will do what I need quickly--without all the sliding, finagling and baloney that has to be done with a 'system' that rightfully only belongs on a platform sans keyboard that is designed to fit in the palm of your hand.

Added:  Microsoft 'stole' the concept from Apple that became Windows, and now they're trying to steal it again.  This time, with Win 8, they shot themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned!

Nope.........Actually the Graphical User Interface concept originated at Xerox.

Microsoft, Apple and Xerox. The History of the Graphical User Interface
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:00:14 AM by K2GWK » Logged

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »

IF that happens, and IF the OS will allow you to go to the traditional desktop instead of the *%&$%* 'Metro' interface, maybe I could become a Win 8 convert.

You can use the desktop, I use it every night on my new Win 8.1 laptop. There is some flawed understanding of Win 8.1 floating around here. The misunderstanding has to do with the new start menu. It's really just a new screen. If I can help explain I will do so.

I want a desktop system for its traditional usefulness, not so I have to look through numerous picture representations to try to find what I need.  

You don't have to. Just go to the desktop and use the shortcuts there. Again, there is a lot of flawed understanding about Win 8.1.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »

IF that happens, and IF the OS will allow you to go to the traditional desktop instead of the *%&$%* 'Metro' interface, maybe I could become a Win 8 convert.

You can use the desktop, I use it every night on my new Win 8.1 laptop. There is some flawed understanding of Win 8.1 floating around here. The misunderstanding has to do with the new start menu. It's really just a new screen. If I can help explain I will do so.

I want a desktop system for its traditional usefulness, not so I have to look through numerous picture representations to try to find what I need.  

You don't have to. Just go to the desktop and use the shortcuts there. Again, there is a lot of flawed understanding about Win 8.1.

People that have trouble with 8 have trouble with changing

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »

Changing radically, you mean.
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 08:08:38 PM »

+1 on the Startdoc Desktop program. I think it's $10, and allows you to switch back to the Windows 8 screen whenever you want too. I find it useful, but then I just did a System Refresh because I was pissed off I had no audio.
Don't do a System Refresh because you have no audio. It's much easier just to plug the headphones into the headphone
jack, not the mic jack...
Can anyone here top the stupidity of that story?

Didn't think so... Cry

John
K9SRV
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 07:49:20 AM »

No, but I can probably equal it.  Installed a faster video card in my son's computer and wondered why I couldn't adjust the size or the refresh rate.  Turns out that I had plugged the monitor cord into the integrated video output on the motherboard instead of into the output on the new card.....   Grin
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 11:24:31 AM »

CJS...while I really do appreciate the effort, we are not even in the same ballpark...
YOU actually opened your computer up, whereas I, on the otherhand, completely
FUBARED my machine without removing a single screw!
On the upside, when I took a break from reinstalling programs and looking for ancient
passwords, I DID take a break, and yanked my 40 meter double extended zepp up about
12 feet or so, which virtually ensures at least one more ice storm in Chicago within the next
few weeks...  Cheesy

John
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »

Ah, but you asked if anyone could top the 'stupidity' of your story.  Granted that I didn't 'fubar' that machine, but I was about to--until I noted what I had NOT done! 

If not connecting to the new video connector and but expecting it to work isn't stupid, I don't know what is!  73!   Grin
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »

Point taken! Ding Ding we have a new winner, but just by a 28 guage QRP antenna wire!
Thanks for making me laugh!

John
K9SRV
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 08:53:52 AM »

Now, wait a minute--I did say equals, not beats!   Grin  73!
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »

I thought that would just kinda.... slide by... Grin
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: