Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generally accepted best amateur extra study guide?  (Read 11695 times)
WB9JRS

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »

Regardless of price is there a amateur extra study guide that is considered "the best"?
Thanks,
J
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:26:35 AM »

In my opinion, it's the Gordon West with their test software also. That's what I used, so that's what I consider, hahaha. You will get a number of answers in all different directions.

If you want to talk about test preparation, your best solution is to take the test once a day. Note the question you missed and restudy those sections. If you have completely read your study materials at least once, and follows this test once a day for 30 days, most people will be able to pass the exam.

Yes this causes memorization rather than learning, but licensing is about permission, not acknowledge of knowledge.

Good luck; if you get started now, you will be an extra in time for Dayton or Field Day.

Bernie
WB9JRS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:39:38 AM »

Thanks.
I would prefer to learn the material rather than just cram for the test.
In my flying days there were many weekend seminars for taking the private pilot and instrument written tests.
I think those did a disservice as the information never made it to the long term memory. People took the class and then were tested the next day. A week later they forgot 80% of the material.
I was never one for memorization. I would rather learn the theory and then I could always work out the answer.
I will check out your suggestion.
Much appreciate.
Jim
WB9JRS
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »

Regardless of price is there a amateur extra study guide that is considered "the best"?
Thanks,
J

www.hamtestonline.com is the best.  You learn the material.  fast.  it knows when you are ready to pass and by how much.

a trial subscription is free, but you will want to purchase a subscription and save your money on the license manuals in so doing.

if you do this, success is virtually assured and you will learn, not merely memorize, the material.    did i mention it's fast?  Wink  

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:32:39 AM by K9AIM » Logged
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »

I would prefer to learn the material rather than just cram for the test.

In that case, get the ARRL Amatuer Extra book;
http://www.arrl.org/extra-class-license-manual

Do keep in mind that to really understand some theory you will need some third semester calculus and some good electronics understanding, hahaha, just teasing, but also serious. Good luck in your studies and report back if you hand any questions. They guys here are pretty smart and can explain most of the theorys.

Bernie
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »

www.hamtestonline.com is the best.  You learn the material.  fast.  it knows when you are ready to pass and by how much.

a trial subscription is free, but you will want to purchase a subscription and save your money on the license manuals in so doing.

if you do this, success is virtually assured and you will learn, not merely memorize, the material.    did i mention it's fast?  Wink  

I have to agree with this post.  I was getting exactly nowhere studying for the Extra via the ARRL book, and about two weeks with HTO was all I needed.  They really do make you learn it.
WB9JRS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »

I subscribed to hamtestonline.
Not sure the study materials are sufficient to actually answer some of the questions.
The first topic was Solar Cells and just pointed me to a Wikipedia page.
The second question on the topic asked about a voltmeter reading on a solar cell but the topic was not covered in the wikipedia article.
From prior experience I was able to answer the question but not based on the study materials.
To be a self contained teaching tool I think all the information to answer a question should be available in the tool.
Perhaps I need to poke around more.
J
NZ9C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »

I used the ARRL manual and software. If you're looking to learn the material, it's pretty good. The practice exams are questions from the test pool, and when you get them wrong, you can look at a detailed answer. I also used the practice exams linked to from this site.
WB9JRS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 12:57:58 PM »

I ordered the ARRL Test Book from Amazon.
Should be on my doorstep soon.
J
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »

I subscribed to hamtestonline.
Not sure the study materials are sufficient to actually answer some of the questions.
The first topic was Solar Cells and just pointed me to a Wikipedia page.
The second question on the topic asked about a voltmeter reading on a solar cell but the topic was not covered in the wikipedia article.
From prior experience I was able to answer the question but not based on the study materials.

Huh
I am confused by your answer.  Ham testonline is set up to have you go through a study session then take questions on the material just studied. then if you don't get the questions right it teaches you the material (not the answer).  that is www.hamtestonline.com

you may need to take the Extra exam there first so it gets a baseline on what study sessions to have you go through... Huh
WB9JRS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »

I am not seeing this.
Many questions being presented to me are not covered in the study materials.
I'm a fairly intelligent person and for the life of me the site is not working as I
had hoped.
J
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »

I am not seeing this.
I'm a fairly intelligent person and for the life of me the site is not working as I
had hoped.
J

If I remember correctly, it tests you and assesses which portions of the Extra material you need tutoring on.  It then gives you a tutor session in a given area and then tests you again.  Depending on how well you do, it recovers the subject matter with you to help you master what you are not doing well with, and then tests you again.  After your first test it should show how far away you are from mastering the material.  Did you purchase the Extra subscription?

check out the reviews here on eham -- it has a perfect 5.0 rating with 383 reviews completed:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3412

and if it still is not working right definitely contact the company

K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 02:32:37 AM »

The program does throw new questions at you once you have mastered a given area to see where you need to study in sections of the Extra exam it has yet to cover with you.  But it should then give you study material that covers all of the questions you aren't able to correctly answer.  It never sent me to another sight or source.  It acted as my textbook(s), and presented the new material to me like a virtual teacher.  And the questions it asks are from the actual Extra exam pool.
WB9JRS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 04:35:43 AM »

Thank you.
I sent them an email expressing my questions/concerns are received an very nice reply.
Basically I need to throw out my preconceived notions.
I figured I wouldn't need to guess answers but this is not true.
They present questions not (yet) covered so as to determine how much one already might know.
This makes sense once you understand their methodology.
J
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »

I don't think it ever sends you to an offsite source.  It offers you links to offsite sources for more information about the subject.  But I don't think I ever used those links (or if I did, it was only a few times).  My feeling about HTO was that everything I needed was there.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: