Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADVICE FOR SELLERS  (Read 14358 times)
K9MOV

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:11:59 AM »

I have read all the posts and advice to buyers, buying rigs on E-BAY, QRZ, E-HAM etc. How about some advice to an Honest seller.
I am getting older and have some VERY nice rigs to sell that are surplus to my needs. I'm afraid of paypal on eBay, as I could have the charges reversed and get my radio back, missing filters, auto-tuner, mike--etc. Selling on e-ham, qrz-- I would worry about phony USPO money orders, ETC.
I know a lot of hams here sell equipment-- could you give sellers advice on how to avoid getting ripped off ?
Thank you,
Lane, K9MOV
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:40:59 AM »

About the best advice anyone can give you is to know who you're selling to.  It makes no difference what method of payment you use, if a buyer is dishonest, they're dishonest.

I know that this probably doesn't help you much (with the question you asked, that is) but that's the best thing you can do.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 06:51:12 AM »

Similar situation here, what works for me is selling local face to face either from home or mutual agreed meeting spot (usuallya MacD's parking lot), this is a result of Craigs list which on several occasions a SERIOUS/LEGIT out of state or area buyer has contacted a ham in my area to act as his proxy to check item out in which case I get the cash and the proxy takes possession and handles delivery/shipping. Not the fastest way to sell but safest.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:06:44 AM by W1JKA » Logged
K4LJP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:21 AM »

HI All,
I personally never use PayPal. They do not need to take a cut of my action, and I am not so impatient that I need my money instantly. I do accept USPS Money Orders and cash them at the Post Office where I may also ship the package. If there is something wrong with the payment, I simply do not ship the gear. But sometimes, I just deposit Checks or Money Orders at the bank.
If a check is accepted, you must inform your buyer there may be a delay in shipping until the check clears.
If the gear fits, the USPS offers FLAT RATE PRIORITY Boxes in three different sizes (S,M,L)) for
about $6.00, $12.45,and $17.45, weight does not matter. Insured for up $50.00, is included free.
They offer 2 sizes of Medium and Large boxes. Some areas have dropped the smaller flat rate boxes. Delivery of Flat Rate Priority Boxes is usually within three days.
If the package is too large for a USPS Large Flat Rate box. I generally DOUBLE BOX heavier gear using a lot of Bubble wrap and the styrofoam "peanuts."
For the larger, heavier, and generally more valuable gear, I will ship via FEDEX Ground. It costs about the same as USPS Parcel Post, but is generally faster and packages don't seem to take as much abuse.
From my personal experience, I will not use UPS ever again. They seem to be no quicker than the Post Office, they are a lot more expensive, and have damaged at lot of my gear, both coming and going. Also, they DO NOT pay off on insurance claims.
I ship and receive many packages a week, and I am not endorsing ANY particular company for the shipping of your gear. I am simply relating my own experiences. I hope my personal experience will be helpful to many sellers....73
de Lee
K4LJP
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:19 AM »

Unless it's face to face, or the seller takes credit cards, I will not buy unless the seller takes PayPal - period.  Paypal has handled tens of millions of transactions without any problems for seller or buyer, and they offer security.  Yes there is a fee of around 3%.  That means on a $1000 item, PP gets $30.  If you don't want to pay this, either list the item at a higher price to cover the fee or state up front the fee must be paid by the buyer. Another option is to split the fee with the buyer.

There is NO foolproof method of selling something, unless you are willing to take it to a dealer and accept far less than what the item is worth.  Crooks can meet you face to face and either rob you outright, give you counterfeit bills or money orders.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 07:09:43 PM »

I agree with WI8P:  "THERE IS NO ABSOLUTELY FOOLPROOF WAY."

I generally don't ship until payment is received AND collected.  The one time I didn't, I almost was out of about $85.

I prefer a USPS money order.  I cash it at the nearest Post Office.  If they don't have enough cash to cash it, they'll verify its validity and I deposit it.

A few times I've taken personal checks, primarily drawn on Chase.  The local branch would cash them for a nominal fee and I'd deposit the cash in our bank.  One time this saved me from depositing and shipping on a bad check.

Check your buyer's feedback but DON'T BE FOOLED!  He or she could be building-up positive feedback in anticipation of a series of "big" scores.

Talk to your buyers on the phone.

Google their name and phone number.

THINK!  IS IT TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?

N9LCD
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:42:44 PM »

Thanks all for the good advice-- 73
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 09:03:22 AM »

Unless it's face to face, or the seller takes credit cards, I will not buy unless the seller takes PayPal - period.  Paypal has handled tens of millions of transactions without any problems for seller or buyer, and they offer security.  Yes there is a fee of around 3%.  That means on a $1000 item, PP gets $30.  If you don't want to pay this, either list the item at a higher price to cover the fee or state up front the fee must be paid by the buyer. Another option is to split the fee with the buyer.

There is NO foolproof method of selling something, unless you are willing to take it to a dealer and accept far less than what the item is worth.  Crooks can meet you face to face and either rob you outright, give you counterfeit bills or money orders.

I agree totally, I also will not buy unless the seller takes Paypal...  Period!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K5REZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »

I agree totally, I also will not buy unless the seller takes Paypal...  Period!

Another Paypal fan here.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »

You can keep up with the PayPal 'kool-aid' all you want to, and You'll have no reason not to--until you get the backside of a PayPal dispute coming back at you.  Granted, it can be avoided, but so can problems with traditional payment methods.  As I said before, I'll still use PayPal, but only for small ticket items--and only when I'm paying.  Larger transactions--or any selling on my part, and I won't even consider using it.  Added--And if you can't accept that, then you really don't need what I'm selling now, do you?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:53:35 AM by K1CJS » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »

You can keep up with the PayPal 'kool-aid' all you want to, and You'll have no reason not to--until you get the backside of a PayPal dispute coming back at you.  Granted, it can be avoided, but so can problems with traditional payment methods.  As I said before, I'll still use PayPal, but only for small ticket items--and only when I'm paying.  Larger transactions--or any selling on my part, and I won't even consider using it.  Added--And if you can't accept that, then you really don't need what I'm selling now, do you?
That would be correct!  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »

Glad we agree!  Cheesy
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »

Glad we agree!  Cheesy
So am I

Thanks,
Dave
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »

It is hard to say.  I check out the callsign on the web, the IP address, usually for a higher dollar item, I ask for a phone number, I call it, check it out.

Some of the nonsense you run into other then someone trying to rip you off are the ones that jerk you around or cause you to lose buyers.  I run into this all the time.  In fact, tonite, I had KF9UB tell me to consider my item sold (to him) and he would send the funds thru PP.  I packed it up, passing up a fellow that had also asked for it, and then a few hours later, sends me an email, changed his mind, making up a story that he had sent me an email earlier telling me that.  Nope, sure didn't.  He never sent such an email.  Frustrating..yes, lost money...No, but now I have to unpack the item, repost it, take a pic again (to post with it), etc. Lots of hassles, but you will run into that.

I never ever ship until I have funds that have cleared thru the bank, personal check, money order, etc.

GL and be careful.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 06:38:39 AM »

I personally never use PayPal.......I do accept USPS Money Orders and cash them at the Post Office where I may also ship the package. If there is something wrong with the payment, I simply do not ship the gear....

...I prefer a USPS money order.  I cash it at the nearest Post Office.  If they don't have enough cash to cash it, they'll verify its validity and I deposit it....

This is about the only way you can get what amounts to a 'guarantee' of funds if the transaction is not face to face.  The USPS can and does validate their money orders through their computer system, and they can cash them too.  The only drawbacks are that sometimes you have to come back the next day if that money order is for a large amount of money--and that they oftentimes demand a minimum of two forms of ID to cash them.  These days, however, most larger post offices can cash most of them since they operate a 'business' themselves now.

The upside is that if the Post Office says that money order is good but they can't cash it, you can deposit it into your bank account without fear that the thing will bounce.  Also, once the post office validates the MO, they're not going to come back at you to get the money back because the MO turned out to be bad.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: