Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I avoid ebay radio sales.  (Read 3613 times)
K7KPH

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »

Like many hams, I live quite a distance from any ham radio stores.  It appears that when I do visit a ham store the pickings are slim for used gear.  Most new gear is outside my budget these days.  I understand that the internet is a great place to get some good deals but more and more I have avoided e-bay.  My main reason is: 

People who part out equipment.  I understand and don't mind people who buy a station and then sell the individual components.  What gets under my skin is when they strip off things that would have been included with the radio when it was purchased. Some examples are power cords, hand held mics, manuals.  Some of these items are still available depending on the model and brand you are buying.  However, finding these items for some equipment is not easy.  My first radio was an old Swan.  A couple years ago I thought about getting an old Swan 270 just to play with it and relive my early days on the air.  I found one.  The 270 came with a power cord.  However, this guy had stripped the power cord and was selling it in a different ebay listing.  I have noticed more and more of this practice on ebay. Maybe I'm getting old and cranky but that just annoys me.

K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »

I buy used radios and equipment on EBay all the time, and almost never have a problem. I also have a limited amount of money to spend on my ham equipment, so I buy and sell what I want and what I do not want any longer. The trick is to ask the seller many questions. Most sellers are glad to answer questions. Make sure you look at the pictures of what is for sale. Most of the time what you see is what you get. If a power cord or specific item that is supposed to go with a piece of equipment is not shown, then it will most likely not be included.

Just a note: I buy and restore Boat Anchor radio equipment all of which was bought from EBay.

Just an opinion.

73s

K2OWK
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »

K2OWK, is correct, IHMO.
As long as you don't buy from Radio Mart, you're pretty safe. He is famous for stripping a radio of anything he can sell on it's own.
His reputation says it all....

ron
N4UE
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »

The only saving grace when dealing with ePray and Hope is when occasionally the seller of ham gear forgets to make use of his Photo Shot program before posting a pic.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »

"From my own personal collection"  and even the photo is not of the unit you are shipped. 
W4QG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »

I agree completely with the original post. (not grumpiness, its common sense),
But it seems that we are talking about multiple subjects.

In my mind removing essential hardware and rendering the item inoperable is a VERY bad move
on the sellers part. You have significantly degraded the value of the item you are trying to sell.
If you have a operational device, then sell it as such. Or part it out completely.
I know there are folks out there that are completely against that, but if I break down one operational
390A and the end result is that 5 fellows get working rigs out of it, then I think it is a win-win for everyone.

In my own experience, I purchased a absolutely mint FT-901 4-5 years back, in the box and absolutely pristine.
No power cable.  For those not familiar, that power connector is about as rare as hens teeth. Almost unobtainum.
Eventually (three years later) I found one that was with a radio that looked like it was pulled out of the Okefenokee swamp.
End result, one beautiful radio, one pile of junk.

Slightly different subject, removing options. Well, THEY ARE OPTIONS, they were not sold with the radio, they were
purchased separately. A SSB op has no interest (and it has no added value TO HIM) in what CW filters are installed in a rig.
The reverse applies equally well to the CW op. I see absolutely nothing wrong with pulling such options and selling them
separately. That is after all the way they were sold in the first place.

Just my own $0.02....

BTW, as stated, exercise due diligence, use PayPal, ask questions. EXCELLENT ADVICE!
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 09:50:46 AM »

I like the individuals that try to sell you something, as they post on multiple forums all over the place and not one has a photo of the item...even with photos sometimes you end up with something less than stellar but some folks sift the dumpsters, hamfests, etc and sell stuff at a premium that is anything but.....

At least on EScam you have some means of a resolution....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: