Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADVICE FOR SELLERS  (Read 14383 times)
K5EFJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »

I will only buy from an individual at a distance if they use PayPal.  I know that nothing is fool-proof but PayPal saved me from a scam artist and that convinced me.  In person or from a well established business, OK we can do cash, check, money order etc but from someone that I've never met and know nothing about except their name and call sign....sorry, PP or no deal.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 02:53:11 PM »

To each their own.  As I said before, I got burned using PayPal, and now will not accept it.  For myself, it's a PO money order, cash in person, or nothing--just as for you it's PayPal or nothing.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »

To each their own.  As I said before, I got burned using PayPal, and now will not accept it.  For myself, it's a PO money order, cash in person, or nothing--just as for you it's PayPal or nothing.

You can (and probably will if you do enough transactions) get burned using any form of payment.  The only way to help limit this possibility is to do your due diligence in to the seller/buyer.  As I said before, even money orders and cash can be counterfeited. My dad once got a counterfeit $20 from his bank.  He didn't notice until his barber pointed it out, and the bank refused to make good on it.  That didn't stop him from using cash though.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 05:56:31 AM »

...My dad once got a counterfeit $20 from his bank.  He didn't notice until his barber pointed it out, and the bank refused to make good on it.  That didn't stop him from using cash though.

Not to point out the obvious--but what else could he have used that has the universal acceptedness of cash?  Yes, now there are debit cards and nearly anyone can accept them if they've got a smartphone--but that only came about in the last year or so.

As far as PayPal, if they didn't demand and get universal access to the bank account used in order to be able to use their service, (that's what allows them to debit the account without your consent) there would be far less to find fault with.  They can and do dip into your account anytime they want to if the other party to a sale files a complaint even if that complaint isn't justified.  It isn't necessary--but they demand that right.

Once a PO money order is verified and cashed, there is no way for the post office to come back at you because of unjustified complaints.

But as I said, to each their own.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:02:42 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 08:02:36 AM »

This thread is going nowhere. Lets face it, as a seller all you have to do is not ship until a check has cleared or a money order has been successfully cashed. I think there is obviously more danger in being a buyer. I guess I just don't see the point. Some of us like to accept money orders, some Paypal or other methods of payment. The moral of the story is do not ship until the cash is in hand.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »

Yeah, you're right.  You can argue the advantages/disadvantages of any method of payment.  It just irks me (and I hope others) to see disinformation being spread.  73.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:37:59 AM by K1CJS » Logged
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »

...My dad once got a counterfeit $20 from his bank.  He didn't notice until his barber pointed it out, and the bank refused to make good on it.  That didn't stop him from using cash though.

Not to point out the obvious--but what else could he have used that has the universal acceptedness of cash?  Yes, now there are debit cards and nearly anyone can accept them if they've got a smartphone--but that only came about in the last year or so.

As far as PayPal, if they didn't demand and get universal access to the bank account used in order to be able to use their service, (that's what allows them to debit the account without your consent) there would be far less to find fault with.  They can and do dip into your account anytime they want to if the other party to a sale files a complaint even if that complaint isn't justified.  It isn't necessary--but they demand that right.

Once a PO money order is verified and cashed, there is no way for the post office to come back at you because of unjustified complaints.

But as I said, to each their own.

You are aware that there is no set amount you have to keep in the account your PayPal is connected to aren't you?  Go to a Credit Union, open an account (between $5 and $20) and you're ready to rock and roll.

As for the PO money order, I've seen some counterfeit checks that would fool anyone.  I'm sure PO Money order would be not much harder.  If you're smart and wait until the PO verifies it, then you are just agreeing that people need to be vigilant for all transactions.  On the other hand, if someone gives it to you on Sunday and you go ahead and give them the item for sale, well, it's your problem now.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 06:05:04 PM »

You are aware that there is no set amount you have to keep in the account your PayPal is connected to aren't you?  Go to a Credit Union, open an account (between $5 and $20) and you're ready to rock and roll.

As for the PO money order, I've seen some counterfeit checks that would fool anyone.  I'm sure PO Money order would be not much harder.  If you're smart and wait until the PO verifies it, then you are just agreeing that people need to be vigilant for all transactions.  On the other hand, if someone gives it to you on Sunday and you go ahead and give them the item for sale, well, it's your problem now.

Done that.  What it gets you is in trouble from PayPal--you have to electronically sign an agreement to use that service.  At best you get banned from PayPal use, at worst, they'll sue you for breach of contract.

BTW, I've said it before.  If someone wants to pay in person with a PO money order, that's a big red light right there.  For in person sales, it's cash or nothing.  Most of us are educated enough to spot counterfeit bills when accepting them, and if someone gets upset about your checking the bills, just hand them the money back and walk away.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: