Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Mount question  (Read 1752 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2014, 06:36:06 PM »

I am trying to figure out how to mount a Little Tarheel II screwdriver antenna on my Ford Escape.  I am not sure of a lip mount.  Somebody suggested a Larsen TMB34 mount.  Would this be strong enough to hold this antenna?  Any suggestions?

Randy Ka4nma
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:37:48 PM »

https://breedlovemounts.com/

Clayton
W4KVW
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 07:18:42 PM »

Breedlove is currently out of my budget.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:26:25 AM »

The TMB 34 is a fairly strong mount and should support the antenna OK--if you through bolted it to the mounting surface.  Do NOT use sheet metal screws as the ones pictured with the mount! 

The drawback to that mount would be the physical closeness of the antenna to the mounting surface--depending on the area chosen.  Trying to place it on the side of a body panel, for instance, may not provide sufficient clearance between the antenna and the body panel.  You would need to place it near the top of the panel to be able to use it successfully. 

Also, if the mounting surface were sheet metal, sufficient backing would have to be used to insure a trouble free mount.  If placed at the inside top of a pickup bed, the metal there should be (in many cases) reinforced to prevent deformation of the side wall.

Hope this helps!  73!

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »

I use a Diamond K400 with mine and mine has a 6ft whip on. It smacks tree branches on a regular basis. Last year some drunk kid decided to rip my antenna off the car as he walked by. I managed to retrieve it the following day. The mount never moved and it was the metal of the bodywork of the car that gave up first. Although I replaced the mount as I found out who the kid was and his parents covered the £1000 damages,  I still have the one that was ripped off the car. A slight straightening of the clip part was all that was required.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »

What year Escape?
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »

My Ford is a 2005 model.  Robert at tar hee.l antenna suggested the Firestick Antennas MK-274R. As anybody tried it?

Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: