Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXCC via LOTW only?  (Read 3005 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »

I went through my log book which didn't take long since I have little experience in HF bands. None of my Dx stations have confirmed via LOTW. I am filling out QSL cards this morning for all my non-US contacts to send to the outgoing bureau and see if I can get some back. I looked them all up in QRZ and most say no QSL via direct mail and also say no to LOTW.

1) Do you find that DX (non-US) stations don't confirm LOTW very often?

2) anyone find it possible to get DXCC with LOTW confirmations only?

Wayne

W3ML

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »

Yes, it is possible to get a DXCC via LOTW.  I am 6 confirmations away from getting my DXCC Digital Award. Which by the way used to be called RTTY Award.

I have more than enough cards to go ahead for the award, but am holding out to do it all via LOTW. Shouldn't be much longer, if I can get myself back in the shack to operate.

Keep at it, it will come.

Good DXing,
John, W3ML
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:50:40 AM »

None of my Dx stations have confirmed via LOTW.

None? How many DX stations have you worked? And I have to ask... are you logging the date and time in UTC?

No. I find that they conform via LoTW quite often.

All of these were confirmed using LoTW (and I am very close on several others):

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:06:52 AM »

None of my Dx stations have confirmed via LOTW.

None? How many DX stations have you worked? And I have to ask... are you logging the date and time in UTC?

I only have 24 logged HF contacts, 6 DX (Switzerland, Serbia, Italy, Mexico), 2 Hawaii and 1 Canada.  Yes logging in UTC as HRD populates the time/freq/band for me.

I'll get on the air more . . .I am just getting started on HF. Once I get a perm antenna up at home, it'll be easier.

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »

Does HRD tell you if spots are LoTW users? I use DXLab, which does, so if I'm in the mood to work a couple of band fills (which, to me, are not worth the hassle of sending cards) I can see if I'm likely to get a confirmation.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 11:46:07 AM »

I don't use LOTW, and don't even use computer logging. Gradually looking to finish 9BDXCC, but for the last one I really want for the Honor Roll #1 spot, I will QSL direct with $20.....
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 12:01:06 PM »

I went through my log book which didn't take long since I have little experience in HF bands. None of my Dx stations have confirmed via LOTW. I am filling out QSL cards this morning for all my non-US contacts to send to the outgoing bureau and see if I can get some back. I looked them all up in QRZ and most say no QSL via direct mail and also say no to LOTW.

Wayne
Hi,

I have DXCC via LoTW, and am very close to 5BDXCC via LoTW only.  Also WAS via LoTW, and 5BWAS via LoTW only.  So yes, it is possible, and quite easy...  I got my last few confirms via the K3UK confirmation board, where schedules can be set up.  You will probably see about a 50% take rate on your LoTW confirms.  Do a few RTTY contests for about an 80% take rate. Smiley  Three or four contests, and you will have DXCC all via LoTW with some luck.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »

Of the countries I have confirmed (191) 164 were LoTW. Now, many of them are both paper and LoTW.

I have found many different people as to when they upload. I upload almost at the end of the day. On occastion, I will update once a week or month. But for the most part, after I am done working countries at the end of the day.

I have seem people do it like I do, and I have seen people do it once a year or 2. One other thing to consider, is that they have doubled their LoTW membership since the beginning of 2010.

Also, a large number of contesters do LoTW. As to many DXpeditions. Some wait 6 months to recoup some of the DXpedition costs.

Today, it is far easier to get DXCC on LoTW than it was 4 years ago, because of both membership doubling and the upper bands being wide open.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 05:45:49 PM »

I work DX just about exclusively and have had an overall LOTW return rate of around 35%.  Just checked the DXLab report and it shows 317 confirmed on LOTW.  Sometimes I've gotten a confirmation within 24 hours on new band countries.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »

LoTW was very instrumental in my obtaining 8 Band DXCC. Lots of DX stations use it. Last week, I worked 3 Chinese stations on 10 meters within an hour. By the next day, all 3 confirmed via LoTW.

73, N4KZ
K3GC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 06:51:53 PM »

I got my DXCC about two years ago and exclusively through LOTW.  LOTW has grown significantly since so it is a lot easier to use it exclusively.
I HATE PAPER!!!
73 Gene K3GC
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 11:58:50 PM »

. . . Also, a large number of contesters do LoTW. . . .

+1.  Entering some big contests should get you lots of countries, quickly, via LOTW.

.           Charles
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 06:47:20 AM »

I started getting interested DX in 2011. Earned a basic DXCC in about nine months using LOTW, no cards. Simple wire antennas, no amp, 95% CW. DXLab software helped a lot.

73, Geoff
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 06:50:56 AM »

I have about 425 QSO with 154 QSLs....  to give you an example....

In the beginning i was not logging the time as UTC and unfortunately needed to go back and fix those.  I use ham radio deluxe and it integrates with QRZ which lists whether you accept LOTW...   I also like the fact it tracks eQSL - which has their own awards.. I find more often eQSL responses over LOTW...  Being able to track both with 1 program is a real nice feature of HRD...

Here are the details from the LOTW forum:
What constitutes a QSO "match?"
To match, the two QSO records (yours and the other station's) must have:
Call of each QSO matches own call of the other (including portable identifiers)
The modes are in the same mode group (e.g., SSB and PHONE match because both are PHONE)
The date/time values are the same within 30 minutes (all times are UTC)
In addition, if the QSO is a satellite QSO (indicated by the propagation mode):
Both QSOs must be satellite mode
Satellite name must be the same
and if the QSO is a nonsatellite QSO:
Each QSO's band and RX band must match the values of the other QSO
or

Each QSO's band and RX band values must match the opposite values of the other QSO (that is, the band of one must match the RX band of the other and the RX band must match the other's band).
(Note: When RX band is not supplied in the QSO record it is set to the band value.)
Each QSO can match one and only one other QSO. If there are multiple QSOs that could potentially match, one will be selected as the matching QSO. (There might be more than one potential matching QSO if, for example, you worked the same station twice in a 30-minute time window using the same band and mode.)
Each supported award program may impose additional requirements on the matched QSO records in order to consider the "QSL" eligible for award credit.

Mike
KD2CJJ
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »

Broadly... I would expect 20 percent LOTW return, or less, on SSB phone non-contest QSO's. I'm guessing that describes where you are.

Maybe 35 percent LOTW return on SSB contest QSO's.

55 percent return on CW contest QSO's

80 percent return on RTTY contest QSO's.

On "net" or "field day" type operations, the return will be pretty much zero.

I work 120 to 130 DXCC's every major contest weekend, easy.

If you get the idea that DX contesting is the quick way to LOTW DXCC, you'd be getting the right idea!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: