Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new CQ Plus  (Read 13532 times)
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »

Well, after missing AUG.--OCT.--NOV. , I got two(2) DEC. issues in the mail today-- HI   Undecided Undecided
KV6O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »

I subscribe to CQ online and read it on my tablet.  Even the digital issues have been late of late, which is a shame.  I see there are changes afoot, and I hope they survive.

Because in the end, do we really want to see another ham radio magazine disappear?  Delivery method aside, if they are gone, they are gone.  I'd rather have CQ stick around and read them on my tablet than the alternative. Something to think about before you cancel.

Steve
KV6O
N1SNB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 06:24:45 AM »

I got my CQ magazine.  I hope their business is healthy and thrives.  The magazine deserves our support.  They do a lot for our hobby.

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:54 AM »

Don't like the digital idea - at all.

- you read the thing & then delete it.
chances of keeping the digital, - are low.

you want to refer to that article that you saw, several months ago?
- fish out the paper magazine that is siting on the bookshelf, from all of the others,
& you re-read that article.

- try doing that with your digital copies .. ..
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 06:16:32 AM »

Not to seem argumentative, but you can get digital copies of QST right from the ARRL website.  You can get CDs of the magazine from the ARRL as well.  It stands to reason that CQ would save their editions, it just comes down to whether or not they will offer them to their subscribers.

To the older issues of electronic magazines, it just depends on what length the magazine is willing to go to, and even newspapers save their past issues on media--whether it be electronic, as todays way is, or microfilm, as it used to be done.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »

Don't like the digital idea - at all.
- you read the thing & then delete it.
chances of keeping the digital, - are low.

Not quite right.. Digital and Tablets are the future. With Digital you do not have to store years of QST or CQ mag in your shack/garage. QST has the past issues available on their website for download to members. This is the way to go. Another big advantage of digital is the issues are easily searchable .

I even gave up reading Newspapers, I read everything including books on my Tablet. I gave up on CQ magazine last year and did not renew my subscription. The internet is killing Magazines. Why pay $$ for something when you can get the information on the net free. I do still have ARRL membership, just for the searchable QST back issues and to support the ARRL.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:25 AM »

even newspapers save their past issues on media--whether it be electronic, as todays way is, or microfilm, as it used to be done.

I subscribe to the Tablet edition of the NY Times. It is completely searchable back to the 1800's. Give it a key word and you will get everything written about the keyword back to early NyTimes. You can even limit the years. For instance I just searched the NY Times for Ham Radio from 1925 to 1950. It comes up with every article written about ham radio in the NT Times. Amazing... Really Amazing for anyone that wants to learn about past history.

Stan K9IUQ
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 07:09:43 AM »

I grew up with computers, a decades-long experience with impermanence that's part of the reason why I prefer print. I've seen years of important documents disappear in hard drive crashes, fortunately not mine. I've also seen a newspaper trash its morgue after digitizing everything and then lose several years' worth to a server crash. I also like the ownership of paper copies. With digital, the publisher could delete or lock what you've already paid for if the company runs into financial or copyright problems.

I'll stick with paper copies as long as they're available.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 06:09:35 AM »

Just rec'd the new CQ digital issue via Zinio. I like it. I also get QST et al from ARRL and the new Spectrum Monitor. The new combo format of the CQ line of publications should result in a "full" single issue rather than a "slim" set of multiple issues. But, we will see if this proves true.

I've made the transition to reading as many of my subscriptions on my iPad as possible. This includes newspapers. So YMMV if this isn't your style. Going back to previous issues could be a problem but, thus far, it hasn't been.

Keep it up, CQ! Hope you stay in business for a long time!
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »

I also like the ownership of paper copies. With digital, the publisher could delete or lock what you've already paid for if the company runs into financial or copyright problems.

they can't do that with your paper copy ..
- but they could just do that, if they get mean - about keeping your digital access to an old issue.
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »

Ham Radio Now Episode 136: CQ Magazine Update ('What the heck?')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok7RfQStPjg&list=UUxqXFK9ETC5CWEdDD-_HpqA

"CQ Magazine has been AWOL from mailboxes since the December issue. Yes, there's been trouble in Hicksville, and CQ editor Rich Moseson W2VU joins Gary in this episode to talk about what and why, and what the future holds for CQ. Oh, and the January issue is in the mail!"

It's in the Mail? (Again)

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: