Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MicroSoft getting desperate...  (Read 2546 times)
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »

BTW I have used my younger daughter MAC many times and find it very limited vs a PC running Vista and beyond. (XP never really supported multi-cores well and it was not until MS launched Vista that they offered good support for it).

I think you got it a bit cross-hobbled John. NT always has supported multi processors (multi processor/ multi core, same difference) as long as they were identical processors.
Although the magazine with it in has long since bitten the dust, they got a dual processor board and put two 133MHz Pentiums in it. This was in the days of Win 95 and I think (not sure) they used NT3.51.

What NT6 did (Vista, 7, Cool was to make better use of the GPU.

73 de Tony
The value of  not being made to feel like putting a fist through the monitor? PRICELESS!!!
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »

I don't recall anyone ever denying Macs are better for updating iTunes and making pretty things.

The majority of the business world isn't about that. To say that, categorically, Macs are better than PCs for doing actual work is to say that Apple fanboys know more about using IT than the actual Fortune 500 CIOs and CFOs who sign off on Microsoft centric business processes every day. If there were a productivity edge to be gained by using OSX across the board it would be done tomorrow.

Funny how web programmers go on about how important it is to have some unicorn level of color fidelity when they are creating content for a majority of users who will never notice the difference.

Nice photos.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »

I don't recall anyone ever denying Macs are better for updating iTunes and making pretty things.

The majority of the business world isn't about that. To say that, categorically, Macs are better than PCs for doing actual work is to say that Apple fanboys know more about using IT than the actual Fortune 500 CIOs and CFOs who sign off on Microsoft centric business processes every day. If there were a productivity edge to be gained by using OSX across the board it would be done tomorrow.

Funny how web programmers go on about how important it is to have some unicorn level of color fidelity when they are creating content for a majority of users who will never notice the difference.

Nice photos.

Another misinformed person about Macs. They are not just for art and music. That's a big lie passed around by people that don't know much about Macs. I used to say the same thing before I got one.  I am not saying they are better at office work. But they are every bit as good. MS Office runs on a Mac just fine. Windows is chosen in the business world on price mainly and the fact that they are more popular. I am starting to see more Macs in the business world these days.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:25:34 PM by K5UNX » Logged

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 07:43:39 PM »

Nice photos.

Another misinformed person about Macs. They are not just for art and music. That's a big lie passed around by people that don't know much about Macs. I used to say the same thing before I got one.  I am not saying they are better at office work. But they are every bit as good. MS Office runs on a Mac just fine. Windows is chosen in the business world on price mainly and the fact that they are more popular. I am starting to see more Macs in the business world these days.

How many Apple products do you use in your life? I use an iMac in the office, a Macbook Air on the road, three iPads and an iPhone 6. Just built up a dual Mac mini setup with Promise 8TB storage to run Plex server across the corporate WAN. Nothing big, but I'm pretty familiar with Macs. They run Windows nicely most of the time.

As for Office on OSX, it's nothing but a trouble ticket generator. Lync on OSX? A joke.

I'm not starting to see more Macs in our 24000 user corporate environment. It's pretty stable at about 8%, mostly in the creative department.

Oh look... here's me using a Macbook for Field day.... Running Windows.. Desperately..

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 07:26:58 AM »

Nice photos.

How many Apple products do you use in your life? I use an iMac in the office, a Macbook Air on the road, three iPads and an iPhone 6. Just built up a dual Mac mini setup with Promise 8TB storage to run Plex server across the corporate WAN. Nothing big, but I'm pretty familiar with Macs. They run Windows nicely most of the time.

Interesting that you use Mac and still tow the old "Mac are for artists" line.  I have two Macs, an iPad and an iPhone.

You mentioned running Windows on the Macs? How are doing it? Virtual Machines? Bootcamp or did you replace OS X completely?

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2015, 09:05:01 AM »

Nice photos.

Interesting that you use Mac and still tow the old "Mac are for artists" line.  I have two Macs, an iPad and an iPhone.

You mentioned running Windows on the Macs? How are doing it? Virtual Machines? Bootcamp or did you replace OS X completely?

Having given Parallels and Fusion a good run through a few iMacs over the years, I settled on Bootcamp. OSX, for my purposes, doesn't offer any useful additional functionality. Apple makes good hardware, and the MacBook, although a bit effete for manly endeavors such as Field Day, is easy on my battery pack and has adequate performance for digi modes and logging.
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 01:49:53 PM »

Next PC I build, will be Linux. After that, I'll have nothing more to do with MS.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 09:59:27 PM »

I found out come clarifications to the "free for a year" thing.

MS has said if you have the latest version of Win 7 or Win 8/8.1, then you have a year to upgrade to Win 10 for free. After that year is up, you have to buy Win 10.

No subscription . . .

Then again, Microsoft is fickle and they often change their mind.

Remember PlaysForSure?  Yeah.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »

Nice photos.

For years and years Macs have had Mathematica, Matlab, Solidworks, and so on.  Macs have a much longer history in the technical computing arena than Wintel boxes, which are most suitable as expensive typewriters.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 07:08:23 AM »

I'm using Windoze on PCs, iOS on an iPAD, and Linux on a netbook, on devices here. The OS is just a means to an end anyway.  Undecided
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 08:01:45 AM »

I'm using Windoze on PCs, iOS on an iPAD, and Linux on a netbook, on devices here. The OS is just a means to an end anyway.  Undecided

100% correct. 

Most of the software I use on Windows at work I can also use at home on Linux (Firefox, Chrome, LibreOffice, Perl, Python), or there is a functional equivalent (text editor).  CAD software is a problem, though.  AutoCAD and OrCAD are only available for Windows.  Linux rough-equivalents (QCAD, gEDA, Eagle) aren't quite the same.

Ham software?  Fldigi, QSSTV, and Gqrx are just fine under Linux, although the SDR drivers are not plug-and-play -- some editing is required in the /etc directory to get the modules to load.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 09:40:44 PM »

Nice photos.

For years and years Macs have had Mathematica, Matlab, Solidworks, and so on.  Macs have a much longer history in the technical computing arena than Wintel boxes, which are most suitable as expensive typewriters.

And yet, Mac and OSX still have virtually no relevance in modern technical computing, in the Ham Radio arena, or in modern industrial utility computing.

Macs are good hardware. OSX is "soft" ware. Not good for anything but preening.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: